LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 11:23 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face 1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed

Hi guys,

I have a 1993 LS, and my car didn't come with the third brake light but only the subwoofer cover...
Now, I've purchased the 3rd brake light with subwoofer cover from ebay, I've conected the wires, it all works fine, BUT, I can't really fit the whole cover as my back board is slightly diferent then the one that is made for the one with 3rd brake light...

Can someone, PLEASE, remove his 3rd brake light / cover and just take a couple of photos of the back board so I can see what do I need and how to cut (make holes) on my back board so I can fit this nicley

10000000 times thanks !

P.S.Not sure if you guys would say "rear deck" insted of "back board"...sorry

Last edited by Twix; 11-30-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 11:41 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

There is a photo on the following web page that might show you what you need: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...stoplight.html
Old 11-30-09, 10:31 PM
Twix
Pole Position

I saw lexls...
I can't see very good in that pic where to cut / place holes if some needed, etc...

That's why I need at least one clear picture of that rear dect with the cover off
Old 11-30-09, 10:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ill try to get one for u tomorrow.
Old 11-30-09, 10:55 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While you're at it, take some pictures of the subwoofer/brake light layout on your LS400 and we'll figure out where they went wrong in that world market. I'd really like to see what they did differently.
Old 12-01-09, 08:07 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avalon42
While you're at it, take some pictures of the subwoofer/brake light layout on your LS400 and we'll figure out where they went wrong in that world market. I'd really like to see what they did differently.
Nobody "went wrong in that world market". Center High Mount Stop Lamps (CHMSL) were not required or even permitted in some countries until long after they were mandated for the U.S. beginning with the 1986 model year. Here is a history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...mp_.28CHMSL.29

I suspect that the easiest way to fit a third/high mounted brake lamp/subwoofer assembly would be to remove the rear package shelf and then cut the shelf gradually until the lamp/subwoffer assembly fits properly.

Lots of people retrofited high mounted stop lights into older cars way back in the early/mid 1980s. I installed high mounted stop lights in all three of our cars between 1983 and 1986: twin outboard Hella HMSL into the rear window of an 83 Accord, a W124 Mercedes CHMSL into a W123 Mercedes and a Porsche 944 CHMSL into an 85 CRX Si.
Old 12-01-09, 09:30 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
Nobody "went wrong in that world market". Center High Mount Stop Lamps (CHMSL) were not required or even permitted in some countries until long after they were mandated for the U.S. beginning with the 1986 model year. Here is a history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...mp_.28CHMSL.29

I suspect that the easiest way to fit a third/high mounted brake lamp/subwoofer assembly would be to remove the rear package shelf and then cut the shelf gradually until the lamp/subwoffer assembly fits properly.

Lots of people retrofited high mounted stop lights into older cars way back in the early/mid 1980s. I installed high mounted stop lights in all three of our cars between 1983 and 1986: twin outboard Hella HMSL into the rear window of an 83 Accord, a W124 Mercedes CHMSL into a W123 Mercedes and a Porsche 944 CHMSL into an 85 CRX Si.
Cool. But I still want to see.
Old 12-01-09, 09:43 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Mmm.. I want a 3rd brake light too :-) Have looked at ebay, but they only sell the light itself without the subwoofer cover. Anyone know were to get it elsewere?

Twix: How does the sub cover look from underneath? I gues you just need to make some holes where the pins should be? should not be that hard to figure?

btw, are the wires already there or did you have to make your own from one of the taillights?
Old 12-01-09, 10:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Mmm.. I want a 3rd brake light too :-) Have looked at ebay, but they only sell the light itself without the subwoofer cover. Anyone know were to get it elsewere?
Why not just install a Hella LED high mounted center brake light ... probably easy to get in Sweden: http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=244
Old 12-01-09, 12:34 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avalon42
There, I just took some pics to show you guys why I have a slight dilema

I beleive it will not take much to fit all nicley...
Attached Thumbnails 1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed-1.jpg   1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed-2.jpg   1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed-3.jpg  
Old 12-01-09, 12:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Hmmm, what is this? Is it in the way?
Attached Thumbnails 1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed-sa-ls400-subwoofer.jpg  
Old 12-01-09, 09:40 PM
Twix
Pole Position

That's stereo antenna

I know that needs to be moved
Old 12-02-09, 07:42 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Why not just install a Hella LED high mounted center brake light ... probably easy to get in Sweden: http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=244
I like original stuff the best when its available. I like to make my car stand out original but with some facelifts. I need to track down a cover and a light. It must be possible.

Btw, Copenhagen is the capital in Denmark (Where I live). Not Sweden (our neighbours) The Capital in Sweden is Stockholm But one thing is for sure, we both have beautiful woman

But hey Twix, i think it looks fairly easy. Just apply some wax or something on the two pins or what you call it. Then face the cover down where its suppose to be. when you lift it up again you can see where the wax is and where to make some holes. The original clips must be enough to hold the cover in place.
Old 12-02-09, 08:22 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I looked at the LexLS picture again, and compared it to my car's rear deck. Yes, even the rear deck cover is different from ours here in the US. There is enough of the carpeting cut away so you can see two large square holes. I pointed them out for you on the attached image (courtesy of LexLS).

Peek underneath where your carpet covers and see if those holes are there. I bet they are.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed-subcover4.jpg  
Old 12-02-09, 09:39 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Yeah Avalon you're right. Actually if you look carefully at Axis' own picture you can see the two square holes under the carpet. So just take a knife and cut a little by little of that carpet until the cover sits in there perfectly. Use the picture from the website to see where to cut.

Quick Reply: 1993 LS 400 Third brake light / Subwoofer cover - Help needed