LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

power steering pump screen? How to clean? Gen 1 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 09:07 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default power steering pump screen? How to clean? Gen 1 LS400

Searched the PS bible... found everything but this... how to clean the power steering pump screen without removing the actual pump. I was told it could be done by removing the PS pump tank only, but cant find any detailed info on how to do it.

Someone else said you could simply poke a hole in it by running a long screw driver down the bottom of the pump, as the rack solenoid catches most of the dirt anyway? Not sure if I want to do this though.

I have info on how to clean the solenoid on the rack, which I am going to do tomorrow, as my what was occasional stiff steering is now most always stiff. I was told it was likely the rack needs the solenoid cleaned.

I did get my PS leak stopped by replacing a leaky return line and the smoke on startup issue by plugging the idle-up valve, but about 4 weeks later, I was getting a shudder on low speed turns, then the shudder went away, but the steering became hard to turn... I have SOME power assist, but very little. There are occasional times it steers easily, but like 5 minutes later, its heavy again and requires much more effort to turn. Very unpleasant to drive. I would rather drive a Pinto when it does this.

Thanks.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 11-14-09 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 05:06 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Search thru the foruma and you will find a variety of topics concerning just about anything you may have questions for. This consists of using the "search" feature listed at the top of the page, not just the stickied section. Anyway, this should help you out,,,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html
Old 11-15-09, 02:54 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. I did. Apparently I am overlooking it, as I can find everything except how to clean the screen in the pump.

I did use the instructions on that very thread and cleaned the solenoid screen on the rack, but it didnt help at all. Still have stiff/heavy steering. I am not hearing that "clicking" sound he mentions I should hear from the solenoid when the ignition is turned on.

I am so confused.... still dont know if now its now the solenoid thats bad or the pump, or?? ?? ?? I cant afford to replace this and that and this and that, only to still not have it working. I am wondering if since we have the idle-up valve blocked anyway if it even matters if that solenoid clicks or not. I am not sure of what its function is. I am about to take a sledge hammer to it... no joke.

Originally Posted by trukn1
Search thru the foruma and you will find a variety of topics concerning just about anything you may have questions for. This consists of using the "search" feature listed at the top of the page, not just the stickied section. Anyway, this should help you out,,,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html
The following users liked this post:
SHOtyme (06-03-20)
Old 11-17-09, 11:23 AM
Armyguy1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html
Old 11-17-09, 12:34 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. Basically start at step 7 to remove reservoir only... I was told it could be removed without removing the pump?
Old 11-18-09, 09:20 AM
Armyguy1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep keep reading the tutorial. Just make sure you clean the mess. Good Hunting Bro!
Old 12-13-09, 02:17 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

EDIT - I just realized that there are holes in the pulley center that allows access to the bolt, but I took a bright light and shined down in the reservoir and the screen LOOKS clean unless the little holes are clogged. ??

I just cant figure out why my steering is so stiff at all speeds. If it were the pump, I would think I would hear a noise from it

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 12-13-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 05:28 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Well, I finally got it off, but cant figure out how I can bend the tabs up so I can get the cap off of the reservoir.... anyone have any recommendations? The screen looks to be clean to me from what I can tell, but it could just look like that.

This was a pain in the neck to get off to be honest... if I had hands as small as cats paws, it would have been OK. Also I could not get all of the fluid out, so when I removed the tank all of that fluid went flowing down... soaking the drive belt, etc.

Old 12-14-09, 05:57 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Well, after losing some blood and some skin off of my finger, I finally got the reservoir back on. We never could get the cap off of it, but I was able to clean the screen inside. It was really not even dirty... just a couple of small flakes in the bottom. Last night I did spray heavy jets of adhesive remover, the same solvent recommended to clean the screen on the solenoid. It set over night and this evening when I got home from work, it was so clean looking. I could even see the actual light bulb through the screens.

Billy, I read that link again and I can relate to that fellow. The front bolt that can be accessed through the holes in the pulley was easy... the lower side bolt was a pain and I have found out for me that the one nearest the engine on top is impossible. I actually left it out, but the two bolts holding it IMO secure it well. All they basically do anyway is give it extra bracing. Its too dark to see if the thing is now leaking since I disturbed the original o-ring. I hope not.

ANYWAY and unfortunately, it has not helped... steering is still as heavy as it was before. So here I am now. Fixed the leak, plugged the idle-up valve, replaced the rack solenoid with a working one and cleaned those screens, cleaned the screen in the PS pump, refilled with fluid. Still poor steering.

It does have SOME power assist, because when the car is off, the wheel is almost impossible to turn. With it running, it is much easier, but requires much more effort than before and the steering is "springy".

I am wondering if its simply where we plugged the ICV valve, but I dont think so, because it DID NOT do this the first two weeks the ICV was blocked.... even at a stop and at idle, it was easy to turn. I need to get some input from people that have actually plugged their ICV valve and comment on how much their steering has changed.

I dont want to replace the rack and it end up being the pump or visa-versa. I cant afford that. I owe $2K and if I can get that as-is, I will let it go.

Thanks again for everything.

**BTW, one of those pole looking things with a magnet on it is a must when doing this... it helped me alot. Without it, I would have lost most of the bolts. Also, this car is a tool eater too... drop stuff down in the front bumper its done unless you have one of these. Boy I love this car.