LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"Stiff" steering (AT TIMES) '91 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 09:01 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Stiff" steering (AT TIMES) '91 LS400

Having problems again... posted this here, because the "Bible" seems to be overlooked often!

Well, just when I thought all was well, my power steering is "acting up" again. To recap, I had blocked the idle-up valve and re-routed the vac lines, then I had a leak at the return line, replaced it and all was well. No more smoking and no more leaks! Fluid is staying full and is full now.

I was told to expect it to be harder to turn at LOW speeds, but other than that, it would not be noticable. Well, oddly, I could not even tell it at first... for several days, even at very low speeds the steering would turn very easily. I was puzzled. Then it got to where it sporadically would be harder to turn, then it would be easy again. Then it got to where even at higher speeds it was harder to turn, then easy again.

Well, today its been a pain. I drove my Mercedes most of the day, but had to go back out to the bank, so I took the Lexus. On the way, all was fine... steering was a breeze. I stopped the car, went in the bank. Came back out and started it and the wheel was quite hard to turn... even when moving and at speeds, I could tell it was not wanting to cooperate. I came home, but had to go back to town to pick up some dinner for grandpa... again, steering required a great deal of pressure to turn. Driving back, almost all the way home, the steering became very easy to turn again... even when I am completely stopped and at idle. What gives? When it was acting up and was hard to turn, it had some assist I know, because when the car turned off, its almost impossible to turn.

Took the car out to dinner next city over, which was 44 miles round trip and it was hard to turn again the entire trip, but thankfully it was all highway and mostly straight.

Its been suggested elsewhere that I may have a clogged screen in the pump. Seems like its a PITB to clean.

I am just so confused as to whats going on and getting really frustrated again.

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-03-09, 09:13 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you went thru all of the measures to stop the infamous leak, however your PS pump itself is shot.
Old 11-03-09, 09:19 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trukn1
Sounds like you went thru all of the measures to stop the infamous leak, however your PS pump itself is shot.

Probably where I ran it so low on fluid so many times. Ironic though it happens after I stop the smoke issue from the idle-up valve and stop the leak. Oh well.

Its not making a noise though... would that matter.
Old 11-03-09, 09:40 PM
thadword
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Probably where I ran it so low on fluid so many times. Ironic though it happens after I stop the smoke issue from the idle-up valve and stop the leak. Oh well.

Its not making a noise though... would that matter.
I believe it's safe to say you need a power steering pump like trukn1 says. It also probably won't hurt if you replace your rack and pinion and hoses too.
Old 11-03-09, 09:50 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thadword
I believe it's safe to say you need a power steering pump like trukn1 says. It also probably won't hurt if you replace your rack and pinion and hoses too.
Thanks, but unfortunately my budget wont allow for all of that. I will probably have to sell the car or scrap it for parts. I had this problem before when it was leaking and smoking and was so happy I got off pretty cheap... all was fine when this was going on - it steered so smoothly and easily... it was not until I fixed the leak and stopped the smoking by the idle-up valve being blocked off was soon after when this problem started.

It needs more than this too... valve cover gaskets and motor mounts too... all costly or hard to replace.

Its been a good car though.. sad to see her go.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-09, 10:00 PM
thadword
Driver

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Thanks, but unfortunately my budget wont allow for all of that. I will probably have to sell the car or scrap it for parts. I had this problem before when it was leaking and smoking and was so happy I got off pretty cheap... all was fine when this was going on - it steered so smoothly and easily... it was not until I fixed the leak and stopped the smoking by the idle-up valve being blocked off was soon after when this problem started.

It needs more than this too... valve cover gaskets and motor mounts too... all costly or hard to replace.

Its been a good car though.. sad to see her go.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, but I understand. My car needs what yours needs and then some. I'm blessed enough to have some toyota certified techs to do the jobs at a fraction of what the dealership charges. Also, it's cheaper than a car note. On the other hand, this car isn't cheap when you have to replace parts, but you do get what you pay for. Wish you well and God bless.
Old 11-07-09, 08:35 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. Well, I am going to get a Toyota tech I know to try to clean the screen in the pump to see if that makes a difference first.

Also, I mentioned that awhile back I had to replace the return line. It was a $1.80 hose that had leaked for 2 years! I thought it was the pump leaking all of this time and didnt try to fix it. I think I ran it too low on fluid too many times, which is the problem now. Too late so to speak.

Anyway, when I replaced the return line, it was a little too long and at the bend it had a slight "kink" (see photo below), but seemed like fluid could still get through, but now that its cooler/colder weather, I wonder if this is the problem? Long shot, but I think I will shorten this hose and see if it makes a difference. They had a "return line" listed at the auto parts store for $11, but I was told I could opt for this regular 3/8 hose cheaper and I wonder if this may not be working.... or, I could be grasping at straws and it accept the pump is shot.

Originally Posted by thadword
Sorry to hear that, but I understand. My car needs what yours needs and then some. I'm blessed enough to have some toyota certified techs to do the jobs at a fraction of what the dealership charges. Also, it's cheaper than a car note. On the other hand, this car isn't cheap when you have to replace parts, but you do get what you pay for. Wish you well and God bless.
Old 11-07-09, 09:30 PM
mvbls400
Driver School Candidate

I have a 91 ls I just bought Monday and im having the same typical problem. Smoke out the tails after sitting a while and hard to steer at low speeds. If the internal leak is the ACV...what are the symptoms of the external leak. I see some tranny fluid on the engine cover on the bottom and Im worried about the alternator. Can I just pull the 2 vac lines and plug the holes and the intake/tube holes to stop the smoke? If it's not leaking from the nipples is there another place I will be losing fluid externally that I can check? Im really happy to have this new project but this seems to be the only glaring problm with the car as all the other maintenance has been done. Any help is really appreciated.
Old 11-07-09, 10:56 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Hi. Well, I went through this on my 1991 initially. The smoking seemed to have started overnight and it got terrible. My dad blocked the idle-up valve for me and we re-routed the vacuum lines (see pic below). He was able to do it from underneath, but its tight (you have to remove the engine cover of course). That stopped the smoking. As far as my external leak that I also had ended up only being my return hose (as seen in the above photo after replaced), but unfortunately it was too late. I had driven my car with the PS pump "whining" too often and I think I have burned up the pump. One good thing is that where mine was leaking, it was not leaking on the alternator... my alternator is dry as a bone.

I had a "shudder" on low speed turns, then it went away, but then all of a sudden the steering become stiff, as it is now. Its like it only has 20% power assist at all times.

Not sure if your pump is bad or not either, but if its stiff, something is wrong. I am going to have my screen cleaned first and see if that helps and straighten that hose some.

After blocking the ICV, run your vac lines as such... (overlook my disgusting looking engine bay... )

Good luck!

Originally Posted by mvbls400
I have a 91 ls I just bought Monday and im having the same typical problem. Smoke out the tails after sitting a while and hard to steer at low speeds. If the internal leak is the ACV...what are the symptoms of the external leak. I see some tranny fluid on the engine cover on the bottom and Im worried about the alternator. Can I just pull the 2 vac lines and plug the holes and the intake/tube holes to stop the smoke? If it's not leaking from the nipples is there another place I will be losing fluid externally that I can check? Im really happy to have this new project but this seems to be the only glaring problm with the car as all the other maintenance has been done. Any help is really appreciated.
Old 11-08-09, 06:56 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you post that picture again? Just block off both of those connections with vacuum nipples. Don't mess with the function of the idle speed control valve by routing a hose between the pre-TB air and the intake manifold surge tank.
Old 11-08-09, 12:28 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Why did you post that picture again?

As far as I know, that is correct, at least thats what I was told to do by several... I posted that pic for the person that asked the question before me... they were asking what to re-route, etc.

So the way I have it routed now is not correct? I was told by many people, even here to do what I have done with that hose.

On a side note, one guy said that if the pump was bad, it would be making a growling or whining noise... which it is not. Its very quiet.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 11-08-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 02:20 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Oh boy. We got the solenoid screens cleaned today.... it was very easy. However, I still have stiff steering. We did that solenoid test (listen for the click when you turn the ignition on) and we dont hear it clicking. Apparently the solenoid is bad.... I am sure that going to be big $$$. I knew it could not be that simple... nothing ever is for me.

So.... I guess this piece of crap will just set in the driveway. I am about finished with it. I have owned alot of cars and this one has caused me more "minor" problems than any I have ever owned... even older ones with higher miles.

Another thing is that one of those little screens already had a very small hole in it and some kind of soft red plastic in it. We got it out and again, the screens cleaned, but it didnt help.

I just hate to spend alot of money on a solenoid and then it be again, something else. Oh well... thanks for the replies and to the ones with the instructions on how to remove the solenoid.
Old 11-15-09, 02:21 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Can you even buy just the solenoid?