LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie help On Purchashing This LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 09:40 PM
Lex4RDNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help On Purchashing This LS 400

First all of Id like to say that I've been a longtime "visitor" of this board but since i didn't own a Lexus, it wasn't a need to register.Now I've kinda saved enough to buy my first. I think I've came across a great deal but I really wanted to know what u guys think. Today I visited the local Lexus dealership to find this beauty on the lot. The sticker is $5,960. 133,761 miles, 1 owner, they even showed me the carfax.All dealer scheduled maintenance. Dark green. i mean i fell in love with this car.

The only problem is after fees it came out to about $6400 which is kinda taking a big chunk outta my budget for insurance,after-market stereo,etc. I have to admit I'm young and have never bought a car on my own b4 so i really dont know how to haggle; I offer them $5700 cash to walk out that day with it but the guy wouldn't budge on the price. i gave him my number and told him to call me but thats the most I could do. Ever since ive been thinking that I may never come across a deal that good or what do you guys think? I may can go up to $5900 but thats it.

Do you all think i should wait 2 see if the salesman calls or go up on my offer to $5900 ?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie help On Purchashing This LS 400-873231069.jpg   Newbie help On Purchashing This LS 400-873231211.jpg  

Last edited by Lex4RDNY; 10-19-09 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 11:07 PM
thadword
Driver

Cool

Welcome! Stick to your guns. If you don't want to pay more than $5700-$5900, then don't! Salesmen want to get all the money they can. Don't spend any more than you're comfortable with. They'll be other Lexus Ls 400s out there. They're great cars. Don't rush and get desperate. That's what these salemen feed on.
Old 10-19-09, 11:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea sooner or later he'll give u a call back. in the mean time just look for other ones.
Old 10-20-09, 12:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

PureDrifter's no.1 rule about buying a used LS400 (other than getting one with maint. records) is to NOT OVERSTRETCH YOUR BUDGET.
Old 10-20-09, 04:41 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holdout. Did you have the actual cash in your hand that day?
If not, give it some time and go back in cash in hand, show it to him and say lets get this done. Even speak to the sales manager directly if necessary. If they turn you away after that for a measly $700 then screw'em. You WILL find another.
Old 10-20-09, 10:31 AM
Lex4RDNY
Driver School Candidate

Yea i had cash, but they still wouldn't give me a deal. I stink I started off the whole thing wrong because i kept telling him how bad i wanted it & love the color.
Old 10-20-09, 10:47 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in NC? If by Charlotte, you could look at this one for comparison or use it as leverage.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/1392552810.html
Old 10-20-09, 12:10 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Wait it out, but one thing is you have to be CONFIDENT. Once a salesman sees that you've taken a certain interest into a car like a little kid eating candy, they will be all over you. Be confident and just leave them your number, chances are they'll call you back soon.
Old 10-20-09, 12:22 PM
Lex4RDNY
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, about 10 min ago about i was really contemplating saying "forget it" and just walking in there with $6100 ( My Uncle tried today for me acting like he wanted to buy a car to try $ get a better deal, they said $6100). just gonna wait it out.
Old 10-20-09, 12:48 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definately made a mistake by telling the salesguy you really liked the car. You should act as nonchalant as possible until the deal is agreed. I'd also say hold off on it.

Then again, if they told $6100 out the door to your uncle and you were already thinking about 5900, so what's another 200 bucks anymore? Hold off on buying that stereo for a couple of more months, maybe? And if your uncle walked in there with $6K in hand, I'm pretty sure they'd take it.
Old 10-20-09, 02:32 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a very clean car, and I can say that I've not seen one that clean with that low mileage around my area. I'd take it.
Old 10-20-09, 03:31 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Very clean, indeed. IMO, the price is a bit on the high side, but as long as the OP is happy with the price, that's all that matters.

There are currently two 96's for sale here in DFW for under 5K. Miles are in the 130-140K range and they both looked to be in really good shape. But you never know, of course...

Good luck, OP!
Old 10-20-09, 03:48 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple things... I didn't see anywhere what year this LS is. What truly is the book value on it? I know dealer practices must vary from state to state, but I'd never see a car of this age or mileage being sold by a Lexus dealer in my area. Anything this age would be wholesaled out.

TR98185, If the book value coincides with the asking price when you take the condition into account, I'd go for it and hold off on the mods for awhile.

Since you've already played your hand with the sales guy and he know's how badly you want it, the only approach you have left I think is to be perfectly honest with the guy. Tell him your young, would love to own the car and would appreciate anything he could do for you on the price. I'd tell him that you expect this purchase to be the beginning of a long relationship with the Lexus brand and his dealership.

Good Luck!
Old 10-20-09, 05:14 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Since you've already played your hand with the sales guy and he know's how badly you want it, the only approach you have left I think is to be perfectly honest with the guy. Tell him your young, would love to own the car and would appreciate anything he could do for you on the price. I'd tell him that you expect this purchase to be the beginning of a long relationship with the Lexus brand and his dealership.
Good Luck!
Or go back when he's not working and deal with someone else

One thing to keep in mind is to NOT get fixated on single specific car. Stay within your budget and have a couple of color choices. I looked at a lot of 97-00s before I found my '97 Coach Edition and I walked from every single one of them until I found the right one that was clean with detailed maintenance records.

If your budget is really tight then I strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection, otherwise you could end up having to spend money on critical repairs after the fact. I skipped the PPI knowing that the car I was buying had the timing belt service and a new starter done, but it still had the original power steering pump (which I knew I would have to replace eventually). Apparently eventually is now as its leaking a bit--common problem. So that's a $700 fix that I'm going to have to farm out now vs later as waiting to change the PS pump could result in a dead alternator so it's a priority repair.

Good Luck.

Last edited by seanl; 10-20-09 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 05:19 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I'd tell him that you expect this purchase to be the beginning of a long relationship with the Lexus brand and his dealership.
Haha... I have never dealt with any used car salespeople at Lexus dealership, but I'd be willing to be the only thing the salesman cares about is getting the car sold. At least most of them do.

But maybe it's worth a try...

Quick Reply: Newbie help On Purchashing This LS 400