LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus dealers over priced and snotty?

Old 09-24-09, 02:33 PM
savala88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealers over priced and snotty?

Why does it seem like every service or piece of equipment that comes from a lexus dealer is so expensive? Even if they know you can find the same thing for much cheaper?? I went in there the other day to get a master control switch for my 1st gen

the junkyards were quoting me at $80(if one came in) so I figured ok the dealership will prob have one for $200 new. I get there and they quote me at $500! and that doesnt even come with the switches!!

nightmare does anyone on here even bother to deal with the dealerships? where do you guys go for parts?
Old 09-24-09, 02:37 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Dealerships are usually a ripoff and in this economy its not surprising. Reminds me of when I had my 1LS's instrument panel went dark. Got quoted for over 1K to replace it BUT it isn't even a permanent fix. 30 bucks at radioshack and it's still working fine. I think most people find parts from when people part out or local junkyards, though I may not be exactly correct.
Old 09-24-09, 03:05 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

not really fair to judge dealership prices by a junkyard.

you just have to be smart. some things you really should bite the bullet and get from the dealer, some things you can go for used or aftermarket parts.

this isn't exclusive to lexus dealerships, oem parts cost money regardless of make. add to that the parts are for a $50k flagship (even if you did pay a few thousand for it used).
Old 09-24-09, 08:31 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On an old episode of Top Gear (I think season 2), James May was talking about the price differences between dealerships and other retailers. I recall him saying that on occasion, the dealer can actually be cheaper with some parts/services.

I think he mentioned that he got a set of four new tires for a BMW at a BMW dealership and paid about 50 quid less than a comparable tire shop.

So while it's likely dealers will be pricier about 90% of the time, it never hurts to check and get a quote.
Old 09-24-09, 08:55 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by savala88
Why does it seem like every service or piece of equipment that comes from a lexus dealer is so expensive? Even if they know you can find the same thing for much cheaper?? I went in there the other day to get a master control switch for my 1st gen

the junkyards were quoting me at $80(if one came in) so I figured ok the dealership will prob have one for $200 new. I get there and they quote me at $500! and that doesnt even come with the switches!!

nightmare does anyone on here even bother to deal with the dealerships? where do you guys go for parts?
That's why I love my 1st gen. Sadly, I can see some UCF10/11 that already bit it and are in still good condition. I source a majority of my parts from Pick A Part.

That master switch only goes for $20 there.
Old 09-26-09, 12:10 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

My first assumption at the dealer service/parts department is that the poor employee behind the counter did not set the prices.

My second assumption is that they have endured all number of snotty customers mewling about delays and repairs not fixed the first time.

Then I check out whether or not they and I are able to talk candidly about my current predicament.

Woe to them if they attempt to blow smoke or claim expertise that is not anchored in reality.
Colin
Old 09-26-09, 12:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealers are always going to more expensive then online retailers, and for that specific purpose. Costs are much higher to run a Lexus dealership and fixed costs are very high just to keep the doors open. I do realize that some dealers are pricier then others, but thats you job to search around and make best choice.

For me, ordering from Sewell or a simliar online vendor who deliver it to my home for almost half the price just makes so much more sense then having to drive to the dealer, pay for the item plus taxes, then driving all the way back again to pick it up.

I'd hit up sewell even if they were pricier becasue i really dont like the inconvenience of having to drive back and forth.