LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Climate control fan no longer works...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 01:09 PM
TRDwhtMK3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control fan no longer works...

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a '96 LS400 (had it about a week now!) and am new to the boards. Before I start I must say that I have tried searching and a majority of what I'm finding is the opposite of my problem.

First off, I just freshly installed a subwoofer with an aftermarket amplifier in the trunk using a LOC on the factory sub wires. Pretty standard install, well the battery wires on the LS400 are reverse of that on my Supra so I ended up removing the positive wire for the installation as opposed to the negative wire.

First thing I noticed after the install was that the climate control fan (blower motor?) no longer works. When turning on the heat OR A/C the fan kicks on VERY light for about 2 seconds then stops... I know the heat and A/C work because I've got hot/cold air at the vents, just nothing pushing it out.

Now, I have checked ALL the fuses and nothing seems blown, all the other features of the climate control unit seem to work, just no air blowing out. However, in the fuse block under the hood there is a missing fuse marked HTR CTRL or something of that sort.... not only is the fuse missing but there's only 1 connector where it should be (as opposed to 2).

So this leaves me asking the question, when I bought the car did it just not work to begin with because of this? But that couldn't be right because we've had some recent hot days here in denver and I stayed ice cold the whole way.... now on a hot day I have no air blowing out to keep me cool and I'm burning up so this tells me I have another issue.... any thoughts?
Old 09-17-09, 01:10 PM
TRDwhtMK3
Driver School Candidate

Also, I tried going through the diagnostic procedure for the climate control unit and it doesn't seem to be throwing any codes.
Old 09-17-09, 01:25 PM
TRDwhtMK3
Driver School Candidate

FIXED! Sorry for the pointless post but after some more searching I came across another board member with the same issue.

Basically I wired the amp's remote wire to the cell phone's 12v switched in the trunk... when I did this it caused the cell phone's mute function to be enabled all the time (why, I don't know) when the mute function is enabled it also turns off the climate control fan.... just unplugged the cell phone in the trunk (both connectors) and viola! My climate control now functions properly!!