LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rust spot inside door area - Pic included...what should I do?

Old 09-09-09, 10:18 AM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust spot inside door area - Pic included...what should I do?

This is the only rust spot on the car that I just saw yesterday. How can I go about repairing this? Bondo?

It feels "crackly" when I touch it - I am not sure if it has rotted all the way through. I am wondering how this spot even rusted out, must be a leak there or something.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-09-09, 10:35 AM
Gtask8
Driver School Candidate

Be afraid....Be VERY afraid!!!!

Sand that puppy down, make sure it didnt go to far through the body. If it did, do what you can to get most off, then paint over it with good paint to prevent further oxidization. Rusting can continue if its exposed to the elements. Painting another good coat can help shiel it. Otherwise its not gonna get bigger very fast.
Old 09-09-09, 11:40 AM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gtask8
Be afraid....Be VERY afraid!!!!

Sand that puppy down, make sure it didnt go to far through the body. If it did, do what you can to get most off, then paint over it with good paint to prevent further oxidization. Rusting can continue if its exposed to the elements. Painting another good coat can help shiel it. Otherwise its not gonna get bigger very fast.
I'm placing an order with automotivetouchup today!
Old 09-09-09, 12:47 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Just placed an order with automotivetouchup.com for Primer, Clear Coat, Base color an a bunch of other small things - prep solvent/rubbing compound. Hopefully I can fit it

I sanded it down for a few minutes - gonna work more on it tomorrow

Do you guys think it looks repairable/bad? Or is it decent? I hope I can get all the rust off. It's not rust through.

Here is a new pic:

Old 09-09-09, 03:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Use masking tape and maybe peal away the door gasket! No reason to damage the door gasket and paint where there is no rust. Use fine sandpaper made for wet sanding metal -- do not dry sand.

It's an odd place for rust -- maybe something got closed in the door. It doesn't look very bad. I've had success with those "rust stopper" primer touchup paints that most hardware and auto parts stores sell.

I touched up a bad rusty gouge in the rear edge of my hood of my 00 LS when I bought it six years ago with that stuff, top coated it with Lexus touchup paint and the rust never came back.
Old 09-09-09, 03:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

needs some more sanding, priming, sanding, sanding, painting, wet sanding, polishing, and waxing.
Old 09-09-09, 06:58 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Use masking tape and maybe peal away the door gasket! No reason to damage the door gasket and paint where there is no rust. Use fine sandpaper made for wet sanding metal -- do not dry sand.

It's an odd place for rust -- maybe something got closed in the door. It doesn't look very bad. I've had success with those "rust stopper" primer touchup paints that most hardware and auto parts stores sell.

I touched up a bad rusty gouge in the rear edge of my hood of my 00 LS when I bought it six years ago with that stuff, top coated it with Lexus touchup paint and the rust never came back.
Makes a world of difference. Do not attempt to put any other type of primer/sealer without doing this step first. Most of the good ones have a fair amount of zinc in them, make sure to check that it does have this. Of course, you will have to use regular primer AFTER applying this prep coat.

I assume you removed the black molding as well to see if the rust was underneath it. If not, do so immediately.
Old 09-10-09, 10:02 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way more sanding. However I would get POR-15, which is Paint over rust. I have only heard good things about this stuff especially from frame repair guys as old chevy frames love to rot. It basically cures the rust as you paint the surface so no more rust will develop, it comes in clear, gloss and semi-gloss black, silver and gray. It is a little expensive, but the time it saves you in the long run is far greater than the pain staking process of sanding, sanding, more sanding, primer and paint. This way you simply sand, prep, and paint with POR15. I did it with the bottom of my rear doors in the LS4. It works very well. I bought a pint for like 30 bucks, if you order before noon, you will have it in a day and a half. I simply roughed the surface up, cleaned it with alcohol, painted it, let it dry then hit it with some rustoleum white a few days after.