LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'96 LS400 Starting (Very Confused)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 11:01 AM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '96 LS400 Starting (Very Confused)

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this site. I have learned so much and I cannot begin to thank you enough.

Now, my baby is going through some starting issues. About 8 weeks ago I noticed that whenever I would start my car (in the morning, cold start) the starter was slipping and/or was not normal. It just didn't sound right. It doesn't happen every morning. In the evening, when leaving work, she starts-up fine, but it takes a little longer to turn-over. I pulled the battery out and brought it to Auto Zone. They checked it and said there was nothing wrong with the battery.

Last Sunday evening, I go to start her up and she will not turn over - I just get a click. On Monday evening I try again. After 3-4 attempts, she starts up. The only difference between Sunday & Monday was that I removed the (2) 10mm bolts holding the fuse compartment (by the battery). I was checking if any wiring was loose. I let the car sit all week. On Saturday I attempt to start and she turns-over on the first attempt. Yesterday I try again and she turns-over again on the first attempt.

Now, I know my LS400 is 13 years old and I have read (on this forum) about the starter going out. So I was in the process of ordering a new starter and attempting the DIY (thanks to all of the wonderful support on this site). Now, I am not convinced that it is the starter. If the starter was going bad, wouldn't the starting process become more difficult with each attempt? Can it be the alternator? I am just trying to rule out anything and everything before replacing the starter. I heard of a test where the circuitry can be by-passed. If the vehicle starts, it is not the starter but an electrical issue. If the vehicle does not start, then the starter is bad. Would you advise trying this? Do you have a better procedure that will put this issue to rest (is it the starter or something else)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have been driving an Expedition for the past week and it is not fun.
Old 08-31-09, 11:59 AM
GABE_LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the starter bro...the alternator would make your battery drain so if your battery isnt low then i wouldnt worry about the alternator..A starter can act funny at any moment, my old 91 ls started doing it one day and then i would drive somwhere and when if get back into the car and start it it would turn over no problem. I eventualy ended up burning the starter and doing a DIY...Took 5 hours to get it done but it worked no probs after. I would suggest sticking a screw driver in the motor. Open the oil cap and drop a screw driver in there...then try and turn the car on, after that if the car destroys the screw driver your good...if not buy a new motor.
Old 08-31-09, 12:37 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would wager that the starter is indeed going bad. It may not get harder and harder to start, it is what I would call a random occurrence with progressive odds out of your favor. Meaning, as the thing starts to go south, it will more and more often fail.

Have fun replacing it, you might as well do all the other seals and goodies while you are in there.
Old 08-31-09, 12:47 PM
LSprideLS
Driver School Candidate

it could be the alternator, whens the last time u changed the spark plugs though. i think worst case senario the compression rate is faulty due to wear and tear
Old 08-31-09, 12:58 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

It starts WHEN the engine turns over, right? It won't be the plugs.

When it doesn't start, your battery isn't dead, right? Just a click (solenoid trying to do its job), not a bunch of weak clicks and fading lights, right? It won't be the alternator.
Old 09-01-09, 04:17 AM
mkaye
Rookie

i had a similar problem with my 99 4Runner
clicked a couple of times 1 morning, but started, 3 hrs later, just clicking
turned out to be that the high-current contacts in the started were worn - new contacts & good as new

mark
Old 09-01-09, 07:58 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mkaye
i had a similar problem with my 99 4Runner
clicked a couple of times 1 morning, but started, 3 hrs later, just clicking
turned out to be that the high-current contacts in the started were worn - new contacts & good as new

mark
I completely agree, it is likely the contacts. Of course, this starter is SO hard to get to that you're better off just replacing the whole thing. If the starter were hanging off the engine at the bottom, I'd suggest just the contacts. Not so with this one.
Old 09-01-09, 03:59 PM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Originally Posted by LSprideLS
it could be the alternator, whens the last time u changed the spark plugs though. i think worst case senario the compression rate is faulty due to wear and tear
I purchased the vehicle in 2003 and I have never changed the plugs. I have new plugs, wires, caps & rotors ready to be installed. I plan on taking care of this soon.
Old 09-01-09, 04:02 PM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
It starts WHEN the engine turns over, right? It won't be the plugs.

When it doesn't start, your battery isn't dead, right? Just a click (solenoid trying to do its job), not a bunch of weak clicks and fading lights, right? It won't be the alternator.

Yes, it starts when the engine turns over. It has been starting just fine for the last couple of days, as if nothing were wrong. It is the weirdest thing. This evening I am taking to AutoZone to check the battery & alternator.

Do you think it could a loose connection, say from the battery to the starter?
Old 09-01-09, 06:55 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1 of two things here. Either loose connection on the battery or your starter is indeed heading south. Sometimes on my 92, when I don't secure the positive battery cable tightly(I leave it unhooked while I am on the road driving tractor trailers) it will produce just a click and not turn over. Tighten the connection, no problems. If your cables are tight, then your starter is warning you that is will need to be replaced soon. Battery/alternator are pretty "friendly" with their warnings as they will start to light the warning lights on your dash(multiple lights at the same time).
Old 09-23-09, 08:44 AM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Default She is still going after 3+ weeks

Well, after 3+ weeks, she still starts normally with the exception of 2 times. On these 2 occasions I went to start it and it was completely dead. I waited 5 seconds or so and tried again. Bingo, it started.

I just can't figure it out. Since my last post I performed the Sea Foam cleaning (through the brake booster) and removed the throttle body and did a complete cleaning. After this I changed the spark plugs, the ignition wires and the coolant temperature sensor. I will be replacing the distributor caps and rotors soon.

Do you still believe the starter is warning me that it is getting close to going out? Do you think it can be the oxygen sensor? Is there a way to bypass all of the relays in order to determine if, in fact, the starter is going out? Also, would it help if I used diagnostic tester to see if any codes come up? If so, what brand/model tester do you recommend?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JOEYD2008; 09-23-09 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added an additional question
Old 09-25-09, 12:50 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear your starter is acting up. Unfortunately it is typical for our year's LS. The fact that it has been working for you with a few glitches sort of proves your starter is going to die some time soon IMO.

In the early Summer I turned the key and I heard the click like it was a dead battery. I knew it was the starter. I tried again a few times and it started. However, the way it sounded when it turned over confirmed I was due for a new starter again. It sounds weak when it turns the motor over - like a weak battery.

I have replaced the starter (2) times. The last starter lasted for 9 years and 200,000 miles. So, I guess it is not so bad.

Odds are yours could last several more months or weeks or days Unfortunately there is no way to tell.

I had mine changed since I work far from home and I don't want to get stranded.

You could just keep driving it and wait for it to die or pay to have it changed $750-$1,000.

Good luck
Old 10-07-09, 02:20 PM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Default Still Going

Still going as of today (10/07/09). Although I have experienced two more occasions as to where I turn the key and get a click. I will leave it sit for a while, turn the key, and she starts normal.

Let me ask everyone, would the ignition coils and/or ignition switch play a role regarding this issue? As you can tell, I am really trying to rule out everything before facing the fact that it is the starter. I am not looking forward to replacing it.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-09, 03:21 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to pull up the sleeves... starter solenoid contacts are worn and need replacing. I think you'll find that as the weather cools, the clicking will become more frequent.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post4191291

Ten months later, mine is still going strong.

Last edited by AzHotLS; 10-07-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 05:21 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

I went through the exact same process. It was the starter and I only had 65k miles on it but it was 9 years old.

Quick Reply: '96 LS400 Starting (Very Confused)