LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 02:30 PM
royale455
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Changed the mounts last weekend. What a difference. Nothing broken in the process. Woohoo! Along with new tie rod ends and lower ball joints it basically feels like new.
Old 12-06-11, 08:13 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does removing the AC compressor give you a straight shot at the left mount? Being I need a new compressor it seems like a good time to swap out the mounts.
Old 12-11-11, 02:48 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage7RP
Tools and equipment needed:
Common factor in abnormal vibrations, damaged engine bushings...

I just the the engine mounts in my 99 with 130000. One was torn completly in half, and the other had some good sized tears.

Shifts and launches are alot better. I think I know when I completly tore the mount. I didn't rip on it any more after that, but the engine vibrated alot at a low idle in gear when warm.

The power steering reservour line was brittle and broke when I lifted the engine, but that was clearly a bad line.

Thanks for the write up and the CL community.
Old 12-11-11, 11:39 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about rear diff? bushings-mounts?
Old 12-12-11, 06:22 AM
McPierson
Instructor

If you asking how mine looked. I THINK they are fine. If you are asking how to change them then I can't help you, but I suspect it's not as hard as the engine mounts.
Old 12-12-11, 10:45 AM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

changing them. i would assume that you would want to do them all 3 at the same time. i dont see 1 lasting longer then 2. its all part of the drive train. i think that if your doing tranny and motor maybe its time for diff as well. seeing this makes me need to look at my ****. 180k, im sure they have never been changed. Pretty sure having that many on the clock warrants a new set. I figure if im doing motor, why not tranny? If im doing motor/tranny, why not do diff? i have a slight vibration but my alignment is off as well. Ive had it done twice, both times its not right. just want a lexus smooth ride again.
Old 01-01-12, 05:16 PM
tenchu
Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
we used ebay mounts, and have a smooth solid ride. oh, Jon took the right side out first then replaced the left side and then went back and installed the right side, had a little more room that way. the heater control valve is here.
Still vouch for those eBay mounts? I can get all 3 for under $200 shipped on eBay, considerably cheaper than OEM
Old 01-01-12, 08:35 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

yep, still going strong, no problems, or issues
Old 01-02-12, 12:01 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Still wondering my LS dosn't have any real vibration just a low rumble when you speed up. Kinda like a vibration but not for sure. Would new engine mounts help?
Old 01-02-12, 02:37 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jjohnnyg66,
I have a '96 LS400 which had the low rumble at slow speed for quite a while. I kept thinking it was the road surface, but a check showed that I needed a new transmission mount. After replacing it, which is a very easy job if you have a good lift or jack, the rumble was gone and it drives as smooth as silk, again! Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-12, 03:54 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hlovepenn
Jjohnnyg66,
I have a '96 LS400 which had the low rumble at slow speed for quite a while. I kept thinking it was the road surface, but a check showed that I needed a new transmission mount. After replacing it, which is a very easy job if you have a good lift or jack, the rumble was gone and it drives as smooth as silk, again! Happy New Year!
Thanks, I replaced that last summer can't say i noticed a difference.

My guess its still maybe the engine mounts. Hope to do them soon.
Old 01-02-12, 04:29 PM
McPierson
Instructor

When my engine mount tore I noticed a fairly violent rumble only when the engine was hot, and idling in gear. I think the engine mount is a likely culprit. Pop the hood and load the engine up in reverse and then forward with the brakes on. If there is more than a little movement you found the problem.
Old 01-08-12, 08:44 AM
tenchu
Driver

Just did my trans mount yesterday, OWCH! I went ahead and ordered my front mounts after seeing this...

PS- My cars a 1990 with 265k on it.
Old 01-30-12, 09:17 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Billy, I also have a '99, and getting the driver side mount out looks evil. Some guys have said to drop the crossmember AND the PS rack, but I don't see how the rack can drop, since it is attached to the steering column shaft. Also, can the crossmember be lowered an inch or two without removing/dropping the lower control arm. Going out the front way looks a little easier, once the oil filter and some hose clamps are removed; is that how you took yours out? Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-30-12, 10:10 AM
tenchu
Driver

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Billy, I also have a '99, and getting the driver side mount out looks evil. Some guys have said to drop the crossmember AND the PS rack, but I don't see how the rack can drop, since it is attached to the steering column shaft. Also, can the crossmember be lowered an inch or two without removing/dropping the lower control arm. Going out the front way looks a little easier, once the oil filter and some hose clamps are removed; is that how you took yours out? Thanks,

Steve
I did mine (though, a 90) from the front. I didn't remove anything but the oil filter. It was VERY VERY tight, and for a while I didn't think I would be able to get it... But I did...

Quick Reply: DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement