LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 10:41 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Billy, I also have a '99, and getting the driver side mount out looks evil. Some guys have said to drop the crossmember AND the PS rack, but I don't see how the rack can drop, since it is attached to the steering column shaft. Also, can the crossmember be lowered an inch or two without removing/dropping the lower control arm. Going out the front way looks a little easier, once the oil filter and some hose clamps are removed; is that how you took yours out? Thanks,

Steve
I didn't remove the lower control arms or the even touch the rack on my 99, but you'll need to try a little harder doing it that way. Not alot of access to the bolts so it takes the longest just turning the fastners.
Old 04-12-12, 08:19 PM
Sticka
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks for this write up!

I had my trans out to replace it and I decided to look for the cause of the ongoing vibration that the car had. I had looked everywhere and replaced a lot of parts already. I got so frustrated that I even took it to my local dealer for them to diagnose about a year ago......they could not find the problem!.

Then I found this thread!!

Both of the engine mounts were broken and the trans mount looks like the one in the pic.....squashed and loose!

It put me back a week on getting the trans in while I waited for parts but it will be well worth it once she is back on the road.
So, thanks again!!!

Oh, and BTW....It was not that bad of a job to do....the up pipes and turbo on my F250 was worse!
Old 06-16-12, 08:55 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Pretty happy. Had my tires road force balanced last monday that helped some with road vibrations. Did the engine mounts on Thurs. All i can say is WOW what a difference. At idle and hi rpms on highway. If you haven't done yours and your milage is high like mine 218k than get them done. You be happy you did.

I didn't replace them myself i had a shop do me a favor for only $150. Bought oem mounts from Sewell.

The old ones were not in two pieces but both had split away from the mounting end. Post Pic later.
Old 06-17-12, 06:18 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

here are my old mounts and today i changed out the power steering rack bushings with poly. See how they work out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Like i said mounts not in bad shape but sure made a difference.
Old 06-28-12, 07:28 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happen to the picture can someone fix it?
Old 01-11-13, 11:53 AM
bowrider
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission bushing replacement

Big Thank You to this forum . Bought my 99 LS400 about 5 years ago. Last summer it developed a vibration in the drive train I could not quite pin down. After reading the threads on this site I decided to buy the tranny bushing first. It was delivered to my house for around 50.00 (taxes and shipping included). I had my mechanic install it when I had the oil changed. He charged me only a half hour to install. Total cost less than 100.00, problem solved. Vibration totally eliminated. I know that it may not solve everyone's vibration problems but it is pretty hard to go wrong for 100.00. It is interesting to note that the old bushing doesn't look that bad but if you look closely at the picture I am attaching you can see breaks between the metal and rubber. thanks again everyone.

Allister in Ottawa,
99 LS400 120,000 miles
Attached Thumbnails DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement-p1110022.jpg  
Old 07-29-13, 03:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to attack this soon. Bought some aftermarket Anchor/Doan mounts from RockAuto for $36 each. They seem to be copies of OEM, but I'll wait until I get the mounts.
Old 07-29-13, 04:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i'm surprised how small and light the tranny mount is. i'll report back if my 40mph vibes are gone after replacement.
Old 07-29-13, 08:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I'm going to attack this soon. Bought some aftermarket Anchor/Doan mounts from RockAuto for $36 each. They seem to be copies of OEM, but I'll wait until I get the mounts.
Oh no - that is a very bad plan!

the transmission/motor mounts are something that makes your Lexus, a Lexus!

China is a long way from figuring out how to reproduce these, and these parts in particular are what makes the LS so smooth and silent!

Always go OEM Toyota on these mounts, just shop them hard and find at least a 25% off discount!
Old 07-30-13, 09:17 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Oh no - that is a very bad plan!

the transmission/motor mounts are something that makes your Lexus, a Lexus!

China is a long way from figuring out how to reproduce these, and these parts in particular are what makes the LS so smooth and silent!

Always go OEM Toyota on these mounts, just shop them hard and find at least a 25% off discount!
I've had good luck with Anchor/Doan - and it's also what the part houses here carry - but if it doesn't pass snuff I'll get OEM from Sewell or ask one of my connections at the local to see if they can get wholesale pricing from the local dealer.

It'll be going back it if does come from China or India.

Last edited by nthach; 07-30-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 10:23 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SPhoto
thats not a bad price...yeah the trans looks easiest lol and the engine looks like a ***** haha

what's the level of this maintenance work?
The transmission is really so easy and obvious how to do it. The only instructions really needed are the torque values.

I did all three on my '91 with ~160k miles shortly after getting it a few years ago and it made a huge difference in the smoothness of the car, so it is a highly recommended repair. I was able to do it without touching the steering or suspension at all, which made it easier. I'd say that is a tough thing to do - I had to dig pretty deep into my tool collection and MacGuyver skills to get it done. It actually came down to using a ratchet with a swiveling head to get it done - would have been impossible for me otherwise.

If you think the transmission mount alone might do it, you can just buy that and put it in (truly is very easy) and see if that does most of what you need. But if you're at 150k+ miles, you'll probably benefit from the engine mounts as well. You'll never know how much until you actually do it.
Old 07-30-13, 12:17 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
I've had good luck with Anchor/Doan - and it's also what the part houses here carry - but if it doesn't pass snuff I'll get OEM from Sewell or ask one of my connections at the local to see if they can get wholesale pricing from the local dealer.

It'll be going back it if does come from China or India.
on a few parts on an LS400, you can safely go aftermarket such as oil, battery, oil filter, even an alternator or a PS hose - but with certain critical parts, you go way down in performance, reliability, or quality of the Lexus experience if you use other than OEM - fuel injection parts, ignition parts, and transmission and motor mounts come to mind as shining examples where OEM is critical

if you knew the millions of dollars that went into the development of that motor mount, you would understand why it has no aftermarket equivalent
Old 08-05-13, 09:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I got both the OEM Toyota and aftermarket ones the same day. The Anchors are going back - you can hear and feel the liquid sloshing in the non-OEM ones. And the stud threads were a little sloppy as well.
Old 08-05-13, 07:26 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Took mine in to the dealer for an alignment on Saturday. I have done the upper and lower ball joints along with the sway links so I needed an alignment. The tech informed me I would have an amazing riding car if I took care of the mounts. The dealer quoted like $1,200!!! I'm gonna tackle this soon myself. At least the tech said the work I have done so far looked really good.

I hope the trans mount is really as easy as it looks.
Old 08-05-13, 09:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dc893
I hope the trans mount is really as easy as it looks.
it is!

but don't worry, the main two motor mounts will quickly wreck your party after that, they are a pain! - lol

Quick Reply: DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement