LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

aftermarket navigation experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 05:25 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question aftermarket navigation experience

i would like to replace the stock Nakamichi system in my 96 LS400
i want to achieve the following:
GPS navigation
XM radio & iPod integration
hands-free phone (bluetooth)
i am trying to be frugal, so looking at used, last generation stuff
i thought the Pioneer F700BT would be a good choice, but i see a lot of people complaining of slowness, locking-up etc
i want this to be as trouble-free as i can make it
looking for good experiences & what my options are

mark
Old 08-28-09, 06:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buy an older Pioneer AVIC D3, buy upgraded maps, have someone who knows what they're doing install it for you, and you're set.
Old 08-28-09, 08:15 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i bought the eclipseavn 5200 and it is a great head unit, i went with it because it has a 5 volt pre amp output which makes for a more clear sound, although u cant go wrong with pioneer or kenwood
Old 08-30-09, 08:38 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see lots of disgruntled pioneer owners
v3 update has bugs too, includung a BT one where you can't have the phone BT enabled when the HU boots up!
lots of hacks for the pioneer tho
the eclipse avn line doesn't seem to support XM, just Sirius (not sure they are the same co here in Canada)

doesn't seem to be many people who have replaced the HU and are extremely happy??

mark

Originally Posted by python
i bought the eclipseavn 5200 and it is a great head unit, i went with it because it has a 5 volt pre amp output which makes for a more clear sound, although u cant go wrong with pioneer or kenwood
Old 08-30-09, 11:27 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaye
i see lots of disgruntled pioneer owners
v3 update has bugs too, includung a BT one where you can't have the phone BT enabled when the HU boots up!
lots of hacks for the pioneer tho
the eclipse avn line doesn't seem to support XM, just Sirius (not sure they are the same co here in Canada)

doesn't seem to be many people who have replaced the HU and are extremely happy??

mark
I own an F900BT and have upgraded it with v3 (from the X910.)
I love it.

That said, it can be a little cantankerous, but no more than a car PC can be. I have no problems with mine other than bootup time, but I'm used to vacuum tube car amps that take more than a minute to warm up enough to play....so I'm OK with it. I have mine hooked up with an iPod, and that works perfectly. I also dig the MSN Direct features. DVD movies play perfectly (the 900's advantage over the 700), and overall the head unit does a great job for the ~$518 I paid not including the Bing cashback of 8% I made on it. I do recommend a squaretrade warranty, one that will literally swap the unit for you if it dies...because they are just too easy to "brick".

I cannot comment on the head units power output as I don't use it, but the RCA's send a clean signal to my RF 3sixty.2v2 processor so that's all good. Be mindful that the F90 has a higher RCA preout voltage capability if you aren't using a processor like I am, which means you may get a better signal-to-noise ratio with the F90BT (Premier model, usually a few bucks more.)

The AVIC411 forums are your friend with these machines, but they've made mine what Pioneer should have put out in the first place, thanks to all the updates and patches.