LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Keeping stock Head Unit vs Aftermarket

Old 08-27-09, 12:37 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping stock Head Unit vs Aftermarket

Hey guys,

I like the current stock system in the car, looks clean (i like stock looking), works with the sub (sounds good really).

I have a pioneer deck at home with the usb input and ipod aux that I am itching to put in just because I like having tons of music on hand at all times. Thing is I don't want to lose the sub or have to do any mods like getting a new amp and putting a sub in a box. I like where the sub is right now, it doesn't take away any trunk room.

Anyone have words of wisdom?
Old 08-27-09, 07:14 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

word of wisdom: search

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html

this would be my choice if i felt the need for auxilary input. nothing aftermarket looks good in the dash (imo) from what i've seen.
Old 08-27-09, 07:16 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Pioneer DEH 700BT, and connected everything including sub...

I've connected sub on direct sub drive (700BT has 3 pairs of rca's and one is sub direct drive), and all the other speakers are connected normaly with wires (I didn't buy a harnes but I connected wire by wire - you can find out which speaker is wich including sub wires with a 9V battery without any risk of damaging any speaker)....

Also the HU has bluetooth and direct ipod connection, and that also works great...

In general, sound that is produced now IS better quality than the sound what I had on a factory HU (LS400 1993 - stock pioneer sound system)...
I never heard nakimachi but I do beleive that factory nakimachi is much better than the factory pioneer sound, so I wouldn't know to comare the new pioneer HU with nakimachi sound system....

Installation is nothing dificult, but it requires a bit of time and patiance...
Old 08-27-09, 09:29 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
word of wisdom: search

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html

this would be my choice if i felt the need for auxilary input. nothing aftermarket looks good in the dash (imo) from what i've seen.
People love to throw "search" around eh.

I read that thread from beginning to end. While it's a good option, it doesn't include both USB and AUX connections, both of which I have on the deck i currently own.

I agree, I do prefer the stock look but it seems a shame to have all this music I could easily be playing with the pioneer I have.

Really sucks.
Old 08-27-09, 09:31 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by Twix

I've connected sub on direct sub drive (700BT has 3 pairs of rca's and one is sub direct drive), and all the other speakers are connected normaly with wires (I didn't buy a harnes but I connected wire by wire - you can find out which speaker is wich including sub wires with a 9V battery without any risk of damaging any speaker)....

Also the HU has bluetooth and direct ipod connection, and that also works great...

In general, sound that is produced now IS better quality than the sound what I had on a factory HU (LS400 1993 - stock pioneer sound system)...
I never heard nakimachi but I do beleive that factory nakimachi is much better than the factory pioneer sound, so I wouldn't know to comare the new pioneer HU with nakimachi sound system....

You mean you're powering the sub with your deck? Or are you running the deck to the stock amp?
Old 08-27-09, 10:03 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max Power
People love to throw "search" around eh.
almost as much as ppl hate to do it.

i coulda been a d**k and not provided a link. i'll be sure to make a note that it makes no difference whether you spoon feed or not, ppl will still b***h about being told to search.

i don't see the point in having usb and aux as they are just 2 ways of doing the same thing.
Old 08-27-09, 12:35 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

i don't see the point in having usb and aux as they are just 2 ways of doing the same thing.
USB and aux-in seem very different to me. A USB flash memory device can't be plugged into an RCA jack. Some devices like the Parrot MKi9100 have four different ways to connect an external audio device to the car's audio system: iPod, aux-in, USB, and Bluetooth A2DP. It would be quite a task installing/hardwiring a Parrot on an older Lexus -- it's plug and play on most 2001-up Lexus vehicles using an extra cost interface harness -- there's a nice writeup on the SC430 forum.

eBay seller "Factoryradios" in California advertises that he will add a simple aux-in to the front or back of most older Lexus radios for $60 not including return shipping. It looks like he adds aux-in to all the older Lexus radios he sells too. Photos of his work have been posted previously on this forum. His method does not involve the CD player or require playing a blank CD while using the aux-in.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-27-09 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 05:09 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

the plugs are different but they do the same thing. there is no reason to have both usb and rca type storage devices in your car at the same time. one or the other. in this case, if you want to retain the oem headunit rca is the one to have. if usb is really necesarry you could use usb to rca adapters.
Old 08-27-09, 05:40 PM
mkaye
Rookie

sounds like you bypassed the lexus amp and ran the HU directly to the existing speakers - no problem with the 2ohm speakers?

mark

Originally Posted by Twix

Old 08-27-09, 06:49 PM
Max Power

almost as much as ppl hate to do it.

i coulda been a d**k and not provided a link. i'll be sure to make a note that it makes no difference whether you spoon feed or not, ppl will still b***h about being told to search.

You provided a link and were also a d**k, well done. If I have read the entire thread from beginning to end, the thread that you linked me, how did you spoon feed me?

Point is I am asking more for an opinion from guys who like the stock look and who might have gone aftermarket. It's called a discussion, this is a message board, and a pretty low traffic one at that. A few on topic threads won't hurt it.

USB and AUX are very different for me. I can sync my ipod at home and bring it in the car for sure, but sometimes it's just way easier to throw a couple new songs onto a usb stick and leave the house. Plus you won't care if a 4 gig usb stick gets stolen or whatever. I normally bring the ipod on long trips and usb around town, it's much simpler and now that I have had both and own a deck that does both, it's hard to go back to just an aux.
Old 08-29-09, 08:24 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean you're powering the sub with your deck? Or are you running the deck to the stock amp?
Yes, I'm running the SUB from HU directly (doe you can put an amp if you really want to...for me this is fine as I don't listen loud music)...I've disconnected stock amp...

Here are the specs of HU (as per manual):
Maximum power output ....... 50 W × 4
50 W × 2/4 W + 70 W × 1/2 W (for subwoofer)
Continuous power output ... 22 W × 4 (50 Hz to 15 000Hz, 5% THD, 4 W load, both channels driven)

Here is the link for the HU (I've imported it from USA to SA, so it's the one from your market )...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ier/DEH-P700BT
Old 08-29-09, 09:30 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

You provided a link and were also a d**k, well done. If I have read the entire thread from beginning to end, the thread that you linked me, how did you spoon feed me?

Point is I am asking more for an opinion from guys who like the stock look and who might have gone aftermarket. It's called a discussion, this is a message board, and a pretty low traffic one at that. A few on topic threads won't hurt it.

USB and AUX are very different for me. I can sync my ipod at home and bring it in the car for sure, but sometimes it's just way easier to throw a couple new songs onto a usb stick and leave the house. Plus you won't care if a 4 gig usb stick gets stolen or whatever. I normally bring the ipod on long trips and usb around town, it's much simpler and now that I have had both and own a deck that does both, it's hard to go back to just an aux.
if you read the thread then why is this even a question?

whatever. sounds like you're a little too sensitive for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. you ask a question you get an answer. don't cry if it wasn't what you were looking for, and don't whine if what you want to do isn't possible.

if you want usb buy a cheap little usb mp3 player and use the headphone jack with an rca adapter to aux.

you can not plug a usb device directly into the factory hu. pick one.
Old 08-29-09, 09:58 AM
Max Power

lol

I guess everything posted here has to be a straight up question that hasn't been discussed before then right?

No discussing allowed?

My most sincere apologies, really.
Old 08-29-09, 12:45 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

i had thought about geting a aftermarket radio... but i like the layout of the stock radio and the big buttons....make's me wonder why aftermarket radios have tiny buttons .