LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First test drive of an LS, 1999 LS400

Old 07-21-09, 08:24 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First test drive of an LS, 1999 LS400

I've been surfing for a while on CL for a while looking at the LX, GX, SC, and LS models. Each one of them appeals to me in different ways and since we will need a second vehicle sometime soon, I've been looking around. Keep in mind I drive a 2008 TSX for comparison purchases.

Well, yesterday I finally got the chance to drive an 1999 LS400 w/navi. It did not have air suspension and I'm not up on all the options so I don't know what other options it may have had or if everything else was standard. The stereo only said Lexus Premium sound, not ML or Naki.

After starting the car, I notice that it seemed to be running rich. It may have been just the startup, I didn't check after the drive. The car is a 1-owner car with 111K miles and they are asking 10K. The interior of the car was in excellent shape, hardly any creases in the leather, it looked like it was a year old car. The engine bay was nice and clean (of course), I didn't look underneath but overall, the body was in very nice shape. If that's any indication of the rest of the car, it was probably very well maintained.

When I took the wheel on the test drive, the first thing I noticed was the steering wheel. It's big, but it has a very nice feel. I dont know if its the wood or what, but it felt solid. The electric steering column set up with the memory seats was very nice. It is a must now in any future vehicle. The air conditioning wasn't blowing real cold until about 2-3 minutes, I don't know if that was the fact that the car had been sitting or whether it was a sign of something else. The stereo was nice, the buttons were simple and easy to use, the navi wasn't up to date, but still good. Everything was laid out very well. While idling, the car was very quiet, only the air conditioning could be heard. I must mention, there is tons of legroom in the back of this car, the backseats are as comfortable as the front ones. Very impessive.

Once I began the test drive, I was impressed at how well the car cornered. It did not have the body roll of other larger sedans. It was smooth and very quiet. It had plenty of pickup although at highway speeds there was more road noise. It was probably the road surface more than the tires, they were Michelin's. Overall, the car took off like a 5000lb car, you could feel the weight. With that said, the motor is strong, plenty of pickup, quiet, and wants to go faster. It didn't feel like the TSX taking off, but it would kill the TSX off the line. Do I make sense? What I'm trying to say is that when you take off from a stoplight you realize you are in a large, solid, powerful luxury car.

Overall I was very impressed with the vehicle. It looks like we will end up buying an SUV and keeping the TSX because the wife thinks the LS is a big car, which it is. She likes the peppy little 4-banger, and it's not a bad car. She says ths LS looks like a grandmother car. I don't care. The TSX is no LS on the raod though.

Bottom line, if I was lookin for a nice luxury highway cruiser for around 10K, you can't beat the LS. Those of you that have them, I'm jealous. I'd rather cruise the LS than my TSX. I'd rather whip around town in my TSX.
Old 07-21-09, 08:52 AM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That they are. I love my '97 - just turned over 120,000 two days ago. Had it a little over two years now aside from normal maintenance and replacing the fuel pump, it's performed flawlessly. I have no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon.
Old 07-21-09, 12:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

glad to hear you liked it, personally i "whip" around my town in my LS just fine
Old 07-21-09, 02:49 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely good points the LS is a luxo cruiser. With a little cash you can most certainly make it into a whip around town type car as I did
Old 07-22-09, 12:59 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

The more I think about it the more I like the LS400. What kind of gas mileage do you get on the highway?

Also, what do you think about the price considering condition, 1-owner, etc. Also, it's for sale at a Honda dealership, not a random corner lot if that makes a difference.
Old 07-22-09, 06:42 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could probably find a better deal, but be prepared to travel to get it. its not a bad deal but you could probably find an optioned out one with equal or lesser mileage for about the same price. its just about being patient.
Old 07-22-09, 07:49 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Well, I got a call and they have lowered the price to $8999. I don't have the cash at the moment so I probably won't do it. Again, it was very clean. There are 3 things I would ask for:
1) Has the timing belt/water pump been changed
2) How much life is left on the brake pads/rotors
3) I would see if they could put some new tires on it. It had Michelin's, 3 had 40%, 1 had about 80%
Old 07-22-09, 08:37 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Other than those 3 things, anything else you recommend I check for? All the lights seemed to be working.
Old 07-24-09, 05:29 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha a grandmother car.... only until you lower it and put some staggered wheels on.
Old 07-24-09, 07:03 AM
98LS
Rookie

tftimm,

You would definitely want to make sure that the timing belt/water pump has been done. If not, that would be first on the "to do" list.

The LS 400 is a remarkable highway cruiser. I recently drove my 98 LS to Des Moines and back. 845 miles each way. I drove the entire distance in a day and wasn't tired when I arrived at my destination.

IIRC, I believe that I read that the 98-00 LS was the one of the best years Lexus made.
Old 07-24-09, 10:11 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

As the owner of a 99 LS400 I agree that 98-00 are great cars. I have often exceeded 500 miles on a tank of gas (25+mpg) and on a heavily loaded trip from Texas to NY got 28.8mpg AVERAGE running 70-80mph average including stops.

The one thing you definitely do NOT want to do is drive an 04-06 LS430... if you like the 400 the 430 will blow you away IMHO. My buddy who has always liked my 400 bought a black/black 06 with crome 18s and it is flat out...outstanding.
Old 07-24-09, 10:29 AM
98LS
Rookie

Considering the engine size and weight of these cars, their highway mileage is remarkable. I was amazed on the first trip getting between 27-28 mpg.

When the time comes for a new LS (which will be a wile), I'm torn between a 04-06 430 or a 07+ 460.
Old 07-25-09, 09:43 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

You can tell the LS is an extremely well made car. Everything feels and sounds solid. I kinda like the way the LS400 looks compared to the LS430. Everyone will probably disagree. I would have definitely checked the timing belt. I have seen pictures of a sticker, is that ALWAYS put on or filled in when the timing belt is changed? If not, how else can you tell?
It was the most comfortable vehicle I'd ever been in.
Old 07-29-09, 10:19 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

It's been about a week since I test drove the LS and I can't stop thinking about the car. I research the car, read reviews, etc. and I want one...bad.

Tell me I'm wrong or tell me I'm right. Here's the deal:

My wife and I are looking to get a second vehicle (pickup truck) to take with us to the ranch, Mexico, etc. Currently we use the TSX and although its a great car, we really shouldn't be taking it there. Now, with just the TSX payments, we're fine. Now, if we pick up an older F150 or F250 (somewhere in the $5000 range), I'm worried about the potential maintenance costs such as oil changes, brakes, etc. While the TSX will be fine, I'm not sure I can afford the TSX and the insurance and maintenance on a second vehicle.
I could trade the TSX in on the LS and save about $200 or so a month and pay it off sooner than I would have paid off the TSX. Now, I haven't checked insurance rates yet, but I will pay slightly more in gas. There is also nothing to say I won't have issues with the LS, yet the TSX is under warranty (TSX has about 23K miles) . For some reason I feel confident after test driving and reading reviews on the LS that it shouldn't give me any serious problems. That $200 would be handy to have should we get a second vehicle. Right now, we put about 12K miles on the TSX a year so divide that by two, we'd put about 6K a year on both a truck and the LS. The ranch drive is almost all highway and LS would be used primarily on the highway for road trips to my parents and in-laws. Around town, we'd use the LS and my work Suburban. Don't ask about taking the Suburban to Mexico or the ranch, I can't.

Cliff Notes:
Option 1- Keep the TSX, buy an older pickup truck and worry about additional maintenance costs now having two vehicles
Option 2- Trade in TSX for LS, save $200 a month, pay the LS off sooner than I would have paid the TSX off, buy an older pickup and have $200 extra month for any additional maintenance costs for both vehicles

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-09, 11:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a properly bought LS, even including the occasional problem (mostly a wear and tear situation) should provide you with more comfort for LESS MONEY than your TSX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First test drive of an LS, 1999 LS400