LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof Adjustible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 01:39 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loosened all 4 screws and simply added thin washers until it was even/flat. more important is, that you wash the rubber around before and spray silicone spray and then let it self level itself.
Old 06-06-15, 06:13 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for both of yours fast response. But looks like I am getting two different fixes. The trim you mean are the pieces inside under the glass? I have removed those but will look again for the 2 nuts.

What 4 screws are you taking about? The front passenger side is lower than the drivers side that too much water is getting thru causing an overflow in gutters. The drain holes are all working fine. Just can't keep up and causing some water to pass inside to headliner.
Old 06-06-15, 01:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just look up at where those plastic covers used to be and there will be gold colored nuts, gold color unless someone changed them. On a 1990 there are 3 per side, I have not had covers off on my 92. On a 94 there are 2 per side. And yes use a big towel on the back portion of the roof on top and then a large size piece of card board on it all just behind the moon roof, after the nuts are off take out the shims and remember where they fit, then get in on the driver seat on your knees kinda and lift up the moon roof and put it on the card board. Then do like P.hase said and clean the rubber good and use a good rubber protectant on it. Another trick I came up with is if the seal is not sticking out enough, is to get black harbor freight wire ties and cut the ends off and fit in the space you will see on the bottom side to force the seal out. It worked real good on mine. Also you need to use a rubber tip blow air gun and only about 25 psi and blow the drains out 2 in front at the corners and then you would have to take out the panels in the trunk and blow the rear drains, to clean them the right way would require major surgery.
Old 06-06-15, 06:43 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Dicer, Thanks that helped. Did exactly like you said. When i took a look the front passenger side was missing on thin shim that was on the driver side. ???? 2 shims per corner minus front pass side.

I used a washer bout same thickness as shim and it worked out well its just a hair lower than driver side.

I only had enough zip ties to do the front end from around corner to corner. When it closes it makes a louder squeezing sound when it seals after a close.

Used a good conditioner too and cleaned up the rubber around glass. Wonder if that strip can be replaced by itself?? Looks possible.

So see what happens next good rain or high pressure wash.

Fingers crossed.
Old 06-06-15, 11:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

The amount and size of the shims is an adjustment, in other words shim what you need to level it, they don't all need to be the same.
The leaking is going to be the drains plugged up, but having that seal real good helps a bunch.
Look around the seal and see if it touches the metal roof opening real good. Also when water is flushed on it, it should not go between the seal and the opening at any point. If it does continue on with the wire ties.
Old 06-07-15, 05:17 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

I have checked the drain holes. Did that very first and all are draining. I knew it was the corner because I sat in car with a light and poured water on top. I could see water dripping in past the roof at a good clip.

That's when I noticed the glass was sitting below the roof line more than the drivers side.
Old 06-07-15, 07:25 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
The amount and size of the shims is an adjustment, in other words shim what you need to level it, they don't all need to be the same.
The leaking is going to be the drains plugged up, but having that seal real good helps a bunch.
Look around the seal and see if it touches the metal roof opening real good. Also when water is flushed on it, it should not go between the seal and the opening at any point. If it does continue on with the wire ties.
What EXACTLY are you doing with the wire ties? A pic would a whole lot.
Old 06-07-15, 12:23 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by sha4000
What EXACTLY are you doing with the wire ties? A pic would a whole lot.
Basically you cut heads off and you tuck the strips in under the weather strip edge. The underside of the strip that faces into the car.

Took a sec to get it in just wedges in and puts extra pressure on strip for a tighter fit.

You can easily pull them out later if needed.

You need to remove glass to do whole glass.

Not hard to do.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-15, 12:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

But what do you use the keep the ties on the weatherstrip when you open the sunroof?
Old 06-08-15, 06:40 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by sha4000
But what do you use the keep the ties on the weatherstrip when you open the sunroof?
No.

You just use the strip and tuck in around the inside edge of strip. You don't tie them.

It provides some extra push outward on seal to make a tighter fit when roof is closed.

I will try to take a pic of it tonight.
Old 06-09-15, 02:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Hey Johnny you caught on quick how to use them. Sha, Its just a quicky fix, I don't think they will fall out they are there to wedge out the seal. When I was having a leak problem I brain stormed how to make the worn and weathered seal stick out more to contact the roof hole. It took a little bit of studying the seal for something to expand it a bit more. The black wire ties did the trick. I was going to post it on here but since my camera stuff is not installed I haven't been able to do pics yet.
Old 06-09-15, 05:41 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by dicer
Hey Johnny you caught on quick how to use them. Sha, Its just a quicky fix, I don't think they will fall out they are there to wedge out the seal. When I was having a leak problem I brain stormed how to make the worn and weathered seal stick out more to contact the roof hole. It took a little bit of studying the seal for something to expand it a bit more. The black wire ties did the trick. I was going to post it on here but since my camera stuff is not installed I haven't been able to do pics yet.
It is a great idea to help better form a seal around the weather strip of sunroof. I took this picture to show where and how. Course I used a wider zip tie I only have the smaller ones left. Just remember to cut of the heads slip the whole strip into edge and can be removed easy too.

Best if you have the glass off car and on ground and lubed up helps too.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof Adjustible?-sunroof.jpg  
Old 06-09-15, 01:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I actually cut off both ends and just used the length that was a consistent dimension. I butted up the ends and trimmed the last one or ones to butt against the others fairly close, as I wanted it to force out the weather strip as consistent as possible.
Lexus put out a service bulletin about adding one sided sticky foam tape to the outside of the seal to take up the gap for wind noise, I think it was mainly for the corners though. I think my wire tie deal is way better and probably cheaper too.
Old 06-11-15, 12:26 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

I went back and added more strips but had to take off the back edge. With them the roof would not close. Maybe I could have used thinner strips

Also found some regular washers for spacers.

Went to car wash and no more leaks.

Thx
Old 06-11-15, 01:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

My belief on the moon roof and even the trunk seal is to keep the seals and the surface they contact clean.
I have not tested the one roof, the car sits outside and just didn't want to chance a problem in the wet weather when I did the fix. When ever you use it I'd take a damp cloth and wipe the opening clean before closing it, lots of dirt and junk seems to collect there. Same goes for all the rubber seals, I hate leaks.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Adjustible?