LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 Ls400 Stays on!!!!!!(ACC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 06:50 PM
Blunted_on
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 92 Ls400 Stays on!!!!!!(ACC)

When i take my key out of the ignition some dash lights stay on and the windows still work but the radio doesnt. When i turn the car on all the lights come on and go off as normal. I have an aftermarket radio and alarm but had both disconnected and checked out and was told that they arent the problem. All fuses are fine and the only thing left to do is go to the dealer ive been told. Mine charges 130 an hour and im willing to pay to fix it but they told me it could take hours and they still might not find the problem which is a lil bit of a waste of almost a thousand dollars. Can anyone help? ive had to disconnect the battery so it wont discharge it and dont wanna risk more electrical problems. It runs SO DAM WELL i dont know how this happened i just found the battery dead one morning and when i recharged it i found out about this problem.
Old 06-30-09, 09:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a second opinion on the alarm. Sounds like a couple of wires got crossed up when the alarm was deactivated.
Old 06-30-09, 09:09 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the aftermarket alarm also a remote start?
Old 07-01-09, 04:43 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have some type of alarm/remote start combo. If you take the key out of the ignition the engine and all electrical systems should turn off. On my remote start I need to flip a switch to keep the car on while taking the key out, even then it automatically turn off after 10 minutes. I would start taking the panels on the drivers side footwell area off and looking for any non-factory wiring. Also, as trukn1 said, you may have some crossed wires.
Old 07-01-09, 11:01 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have an auxiliary capacitor for your subwoofers?
Old 07-01-09, 12:28 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to take a leap here and assume there's a car starter involved. On my Viper, when you use the remote start, the front side marker lights and rear running lights come on and the dash lights come on in a partially dimmed mode. When you get in the car, you then insert and turn the key to the on position, then when you press on the brake pedal, the dash lights come on brighter/normal and your ready to drive away. I'm thinking the remote start function still thinks its in the initial remote start mode (the state its in after you command it to start, but before you get in and insert the key, turn it and press on the brake) with the partially dimmed dash lights illuminated.

Just a thought, I know all manufacturers can handle these things a bit differently.
Old 07-12-09, 02:55 PM
Blunted_on
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes i have a remote start but had the problem while i still had the alarm and had it taken off thinking it would fix the problem. It is no longer installled in my vehicle. The function of my Autopage alarm was very similar to ur viper but the lights that come on now werent the ones the used to come one before . Its the oil , brake , and a couple of others. EDIT Also i have no capacitor but had had all stereo and aftermarket electronics disconnected to try and diagnose the problem with a couple of shops and even neighborhood mechanics with no clue in wats going on.

Last edited by Blunted_on; 07-12-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 03:52 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blunted_on
Thanks so much for the replies. Yes i have a remote start but had the problem while i still had the alarm and had it taken off thinking it would fix the problem. It is no longer installled in my vehicle. The function of my Autopage alarm was very similar to ur viper but the lights that come on now werent the ones the used to come one before . Its the oil , brake , and a couple of others. EDIT Also i have no capacitor but had had all stereo and aftermarket electronics disconnected to try and diagnose the problem with a couple of shops and even neighborhood mechanics with no clue in wats going on.
Wait, so you still have the lights coming on after the car is off and the key is removed? You stated that you are getting different lights on the display now. Dude, you still got a live wire somewhere, and it is sounds like it is slowly draining your system. Do these lights go off at all, without you having to disconnect the battery? If it takes them a few minutes to go off after you exit the car, sounds like someone cross wired into the car's lighting system. Remember the interior lights in your car will fade to completely out in about 2-3 minutes, after you close the last door. Somewhere between the aftermarket alarm, and the aftermarket stereo the wiring got crossed somewhere.

the lights that come on now werent the ones the used to come one before . Its the oil , brake , and a couple of others
This sounds like the warning lights for the charging system. Either battery is being drained to low charge, or (most common) Alternator is pretty much on the way out due to Power steering leak (if you haven't addressed already). See if you can shoot a pic of the lights that are popping up if you can. You may have more than one problem here. Honestly I think there is a live wire unaddressed somewhere which may be draining your system causing these warning lights to activate.

Do you have an auxiliary capacitor for your subwoofers?
Avalon, unless that was hooked up incorrectly, and there aren't too many ways to screw that up, don't think that would contribute/add to the problem. I have an auxilliary capacitor for my subs and dont have this problem at all.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-12-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 04:27 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

sounds like a bad ignition switch to me
Old 07-12-09, 06:26 PM
Ca12los69
Driver

Im with python on this one.