LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 11:33 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help

After doing the timing belt change along with the water pump, timing belt pulleys, ignition coils, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, I'm having coolant that's leaking.

I purchased one of those fluorescent fluids that tells you where coolant's leaking and I found out where it's coming from, under the throttle body.

The best guess I can tell without taking the throttle body off is there's a metal hose connecting something on the back of the thermostat housing and it's the most yellow(using the flashlight) that I can see.

Anyone experience this?

Also, does anyone have instructions on removing the throttle body?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Last edited by rx7guy; 06-28-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 12:40 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has no experience in this but a have a link on how to remove the throttle body: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html
Old 06-29-09, 10:22 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

How did I miss that link? oops.

Hopefully I won't have to take off the water pump to reseal it.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-29-09, 10:33 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

your leak may be coming from the circled above. that is a coolant line from the IACV
Old 06-29-09, 10:46 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe that is the only place coolant is traveling on that side. Replace those style of clamps with screw ones and see if your problem goes away. Could try just running one piece of hose from the IACV to the coolant line under the throttle body. Just some ideas.
Old 06-29-09, 11:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, you could do the throttle body coolant bypass, it's popular on most other cars and is only meant to be used in warmer climates.
Old 06-29-09, 11:49 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yeah, you could do the throttle body coolant bypass, it's popular on most other cars and is only meant to be used in warmer climates.
Like PD mentioned, only in warmer climates, because the coolant in the TB is supposed to warm the air up before its mixed with gas in order to prevent stalling and poor emissions, otherwise it will have no affect on the engine once it's warmed up to op. temp.
Old 06-29-09, 03:15 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you guys have it confused.
The TB coolant line is to heat up the intake air due to sub zero temps . So it is needed in colder climates not warmer ones.
Old 06-29-09, 05:59 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skperformance
The TB coolant line is to heat up the intake air due to sub zero temps . So it is needed in colder climates not warmer ones.
Yup, a frozen up throttle body could be a killer.

But it would take a VERY cold climate to do this. I'd imagine most of the US's climate would be fine for removing the TB and IAC coolant plumbing. The line runs from the thermostat housing, to the IAC, to the throttle body, to the back of the engine. Cap the nipples at the thermo housing and back of the engine, remove all piping in between - done. Makes a few things easier to service/reach and is one less thing to leak.
Old 06-30-09, 02:49 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for those wonderful pics and descriptions of what possible issues there could be.

I'm so relieved I don't have to rip out all those parts to get to the water pump. Plus my compressor isn't working properly so I won't be able to take off the crankshaft bolt.

You guys are awesome and I'm excited to replace that hose or at least use a better clamp!

I'll post what happens at the end of this week or next.

Mike
Old 06-30-09, 09:24 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by skperformance
I think you misunderstood what I was say due to how I stated it. I meant to convey that the TB bypass "mod" was only for warmer climates as it is needed in cold weather climates in cold starts to control emission and help during warm up mode.
Old 07-01-09, 10:41 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

So I looked at the coolant hose licelsior showed in the pic and it's definitely not that one as there's no leaking.

Here are some pics I took.
Attached Thumbnails Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-pic1.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-pic2.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-pic3.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-pic4.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-pic5.jpg  

Old 07-01-09, 10:55 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm...there IS a coolant line that runs beneath the intake mani...
Old 07-01-09, 11:12 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Crap. There's a bunch of hoses connected to the intake manifold. Good thing I have tomorrow night and all day Friday to tear it apart...
Old 07-02-09, 04:19 PM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hmm...there IS a coolant line that runs beneath the intake mani...
Yeah, that is a hard line, it could be possible that the o-ring has been torn. In the picture you have the EGR shown, not sure if thats leaking but if you go rent a cooling system pressure tester, you will find you answer a lot sooner than later.

RX7, do you remember replacing this o-ring when you did the water pump? Did you lube this o-ring as they have a tendency to tear.

Quick Reply: Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help