LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 Suspension Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 05:09 PM
tc-gsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 Suspension Questions!!

I Installed LSports Line springs on my 96 LS400. After the installation, both of the rear suspension makes clicking sounds. I replaced both upper strut mounts and rear sway bar bushings (brend new from dealer). The noise still there. When I remove the rear seat, I can clearly heard the noise is coming from the upper strut mount. My alignment shop took out and disassembly the whole thing and they told me the struts are still in good shape. Is the problem from my struts (shocks)?? Should I get new shocks? I really don't want to invest the money on the new struts and still having the same problems. Does anybody have the same problems before? Or can anybody help me out here? If I can't get rid of the noise, I was thinking getting another set of springs. Thinking about either H&R or Tanabe. Any suggestion which one I should go for from somebody? Thanks a lot!!
Old 06-03-09, 06:05 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you search the forums for " L-Sportline " you'll get some hits that may be helpful. Here's one to get you started. It's a bit different but might be helpful...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-rattles.html
Old 06-04-09, 09:24 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tc-gsr
I Installed LSports Line springs on my 96 LS400. After the installation, both of the rear suspension makes clicking sounds. I replaced both upper strut mounts and rear sway bar bushings (brend new from dealer). The noise still there. When I remove the rear seat, I can clearly heard the noise is coming from the upper strut mount. My alignment shop took out and disassembly the whole thing and they told me the struts are still in good shape. Is the problem from my struts (shocks)?? Should I get new shocks? I really don't want to invest the money on the new struts and still having the same problems. Does anybody have the same problems before? Or can anybody help me out here? If I can't get rid of the noise, I was thinking getting another set of springs. Thinking about either H&R or Tanabe. Any suggestion which one I should go for from somebody? Thanks a lot!!
You can wrap the lower and or upper coils with heavy gauge tape, rubber, plastic, etc. so the coils in close proximity to eachother don't bang against each other. Not saying this is what is happening but it is a cheap way to try to solve it.

If that isn't it then I would check to make sure the upper strut nut is properly torqued. It is the chrome nut in the middle of the strut mount. If this nut is not properly torqued the strut assembly will make poping sounds or clicking as you describe. At least it did on mine.
Old 06-05-09, 08:59 AM
tc-gsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember what's the proper torque on the uppper strut nut? Thank you!!
Old 06-05-09, 11:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tc-gsr
Do you remember what's the proper torque on the uppper strut nut? Thank you!!
you mean the single nut at the top that holds the strut assy. together? that's 20ft/lbs

the 3 nuts that hold the strut body to the chassis are 43 ft/lbs