LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Curious....swap no not the 2jz

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 02:02 AM
el maestro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious....swap no not the 2jz

I was wondering if anyone with an early model or non vvti LS has done a Gs400 swap in there LS?

Having 300hp and all im curious to see if anyone has done it and what is required additionally besides the obvious harness

Would the tranny mounts change since it is a 5speed tranny?
Old 06-01-09, 02:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please elaborate as to what exactly you are trying to do? this post makes no real sense.

why do you want to use a GS400 motor? the same VVT-i engine was available in the 98-00 LS400.

regardless, no, it won't work as iirc the GS400 uses a rear sump version of the 1uz, the LS400 has always required a front sump. you would have to swap the WHOLE oil pan, basically everything below the bump and crank.

the reason nobody does it is because it's not worth the money, the VVT-i engines are pretty expensive, generally going for about $3000-3500+ for the motor complete. That's more than 2JZ-GTE money, which when combined with the fact that all the VVT-i 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ engines (and 95-97 LS400/96-97 SC400 engines) all had skinny rods that arent really well suited to boost, it becomes easy to see why this swap isnt really worth it.

oh, and the VVT-i engines are all drive-by wire, adding greatly to the complexity of wiring the swap. plus any swap into a pre '95 car will require an OBDi-->OBDii conversion as well.
Old 06-01-09, 09:23 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
please elaborate as to what exactly you are trying to do? this post makes no real sense.

why do you want to use a GS400 motor? the same VVT-i engine was available in the 98-00 LS400.

regardless, no, it won't work as iirc the GS400 uses a rear sump version of the 1uz, the LS400 has always required a front sump. you would have to swap the WHOLE oil pan, basically everything below the bump and crank.

the reason nobody does it is because it's not worth the money, the VVT-i engines are pretty expensive, generally going for about $3000-3500+ for the motor complete. That's more than 2JZ-GTE money, which when combined with the fact that all the VVT-i 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ engines (and 95-97 LS400/96-97 SC400 engines) all had skinny rods that arent really well suited to boost, it becomes easy to see why this swap isnt really worth it.

oh, and the VVT-i engines are all drive-by wire, adding greatly to the complexity of wiring the swap. plus any swap into a pre '95 car will require an OBDi-->OBDii conversion as well.
And there you have it in a nutshell. You might as well do the 2JZ-GTE swap, or rather, it would be better to do that swap as there really is no benefit and more complicated to do the 1UZ (GS400) swap.
Old 06-01-09, 09:39 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by el maestro
I was wondering if anyone with an early model or non vvti LS has done a Gs400 swap in there LS?

Having 300hp and all im curious to see if anyone has done it and what is required additionally besides the obvious harness

Would the tranny mounts change since it is a 5speed tranny?
You guys covered it all - I would rather use 4.7 Tundra block with my 1UZFE heads from Lextreme
Old 06-01-09, 10:13 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't shoot it down. I mean if you wanted to try it, go for it. But instead of asking, actually figure out what it takes. A few people have already decided to take on the 2JZ swap, why not check out their progress and maybe they'll have a couple pointers for you. As for as the GS400 (1uz vvt-i), everything above has been covered well. I would like to point out they are drive-by wire, however they don't have to be controlled by the wire set-up, a couple people have been able to just hook up a throttle cable system for their forced induction style. I have neither done this or have the desire to do this as the 3UZ doesn't even have a throttle cable hook-up. That being said what Steve said above is a great idea because it offers the largest displacement, while being a bolt in pretty much, however I must say I am impartial to a 6-bolt main, but not a fan of pencils for con-rods.
Old 06-01-09, 11:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Don't shoot it down. I mean if you wanted to try it, go for it. But instead of asking, actually figure out what it takes. A few people have already decided to take on the 2JZ swap, why not check out their progress and maybe they'll have a couple pointers for you. As for as the GS400 (1uz vvt-i), everything above has been covered well. I would like to point out they are drive-by wire, however they don't have to be controlled by the wire set-up, a couple people have been able to just hook up a throttle cable system for their forced induction style. I have neither done this or have the desire to do this as the 3UZ doesn't even have a throttle cable hook-up. That being said what Steve said above is a great idea because it offers the largest displacement, while being a bolt in pretty much, however I must say I am impartial to a 6-bolt main, but not a fan of pencils for con-rods.
that only applies if the GS400 is indeed a front sump and not rear like the SC or mid like the Crown.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 06-01-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-01-09, 12:13 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that only applies if the GS400 is indeed a front sump and not rear like the SC or mid like the Crown.
Yeah, I agreed with you. I mean it's really not difficult to swap pans as there is no difference among bolts between the sumps, just the lay out. All I was saying is that it can be done, just swap the pans and learn how to wire. I like when people think outside the box, but posting on a board asking questions isn't really outside the box, my $.02...
Old 06-01-09, 12:24 PM
el maestro
Driver

Im not trying to do it...was just curious to see what it took to get it done.

Thats why i titled the thread Curious. Why does the Gs get rated an extra 10hp than the LS with the same engine. (Maybe just edmunds BS)

My friends timing belt snapped in his gs400 and he found an engine with 60k for 1300 local ..even though i have seen them go on ebay transmission an all for 3500.

Being basically the same block would a vvti motor mate up to a 4speed tranny?(Again this is all out of curiosity and I understand the cost would be.)
Old 06-01-09, 12:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

will the VVT-i 1UZ bolt to an earlier 4spd trans? yes, it should bolt up, but it won't work. the ECU will only work with the 5spd trans. why would you want a 4spd trans anyway?

GS gets a tiny bit of extra HP due primarily to Lexus marketting, and intake/header design (post headers/pre throttle body)

no difference in actual block/internals/cams/heads and shouldnt be much if any difference in tune.

a 2GS400 is faster than a 2LS400 only because of the ~150-200lbs weight difference.
Old 06-01-09, 04:29 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Way too involved a swap for not a great power increase or aftermarket potential.

For all the work involved I'd rather do a GM LSx swap.
Old 06-01-09, 05:44 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VVT-i swap is very involed. I have a freind in the SC forum that had to rewire the entire car to get everything working to factory specs. Not an easy task.
Old 06-01-09, 06:58 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoraone
Way too involved a swap for not a great power increase or aftermarket potential.

For all the work involved I'd rather do a GM LSx swap.
GM crate engine 600+ HP BAM! It goes against all conventions but why not - sorry to hijack thread further
Old 06-01-09, 09:39 PM
el maestro
Driver

^ Hijackin no bother me....that would be insane though.

I was thinking it would the ultimate LS with a lsx series mated to a t56 transmission. Air runner suspension/19x9 and 19x10.5 Leon Hardritts.

We can all dream
Old 06-02-09, 12:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

why would you want air suspension on a car with a built LSx series motor?

personally i'd have to say built, bored and stroked 2UZ,5.2-5.5L displacement, massive positive displacement supercharger or bigger twin turbochargers with a V160 6spd would take my motor and trans cake in the LS.

(this is assuming it's not possible for me to get my hands on a 1GZ motor.
Old 06-02-09, 08:33 AM
el maestro
Driver

^ Im not tracking an LS I would just buy a miata for that.

Just to have a Big /fast daily driver that is comfortable.

Its a beautiful thing when a big car can move out.

Perfect example of a fully done car....422hp@10psi ...suspension, wheels and bodywork

Quick Reply: Curious....swap no not the 2jz