LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No radio 99 LS400!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 04:50 PM
lex rookie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No radio 99 LS400!!

I just purchased a 99LS400 and the stock radio was unplugged. After plugging in all the connectors(4?)there is power to the system but no volume. Also, the cd player will not engage-the button will not select to cd mode. Please help-NEED TUNES!!
Old 05-25-09, 05:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I guess a working radio wasn't an important issue if you bought a car that didn't even have the radio connected. If the radio was unplugged, maybe the previous owner gave up on it rather than having it repaired.

If it is not a Nakamichi audio system, there are several companies that can repair it. One is http://www.carstereohelp.com/

If it is a Nakamichi audio system like the one I have in my 00 LS400, you might find somebody willing to take a look at it or you may just have to give up and go with an aftermarket system. Parts for repairing Nakamichi radios are drying up.

There are single and double DIN kits for the 95-00 LS400. If it is a standard Pioneer radio, there are interface harnesses that simplify the installation of an aftermarket radio. If it is a Nakamichi system (Nakamichi has different connectors), it is likely that an aftermarket radio will have to be hard wired.

Rebuilt radios and amps may still be available through your Lexus dealer. And there is always eBay.

But first you might want to figure out which component(s) are defective. The way I've done it is to swap components into friends cars that have the same audio system.
Old 05-25-09, 06:50 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the connections for the amp underneath the front passenger seat and also the connections for CD player behind the radio and the glove box?
Old 05-25-09, 07:05 PM
lex rookie
Driver School Candidate

Cool Thanks for your reply...I think?

The important issue was buying a Lexus-a proven reliable automobile. My thought, and maybe I should have been more clear, was maybe there is a theft code that I need to retrieve or if someone had a similar problem while installing or un-installing the factory stereo...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lexozz...good info!!!

Last edited by lex rookie; 05-25-09 at 07:08 PM. Reason: missed second reply
Old 05-26-09, 05:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

There is no theft code on a 99 LS radio -- pretty sure 94 was the last year LS radios had them. Radio issues seem to be fairly common on the 98-00 LS400 -- at least in the cars of local people I know.

Be sure to check both the radio 1 and the radio 2 fuses.

Can you ask the previous owner what was going on with the radio and why it was unplugged?

If it's a standard Pioneer radio, you could put both the radio and amp in a box and ship it to one of the repair companies. That company in Florida I told you about gives great service --- same company indie repair shops around here use.

Some of the amp removal instructions I've seen say that the front passenger seat has to be removed in order to remove the amp -- that's not true. If you position the passenger seat just right, the amp can be removed and reinstalled without removing the seat. I've found that it takes two people to reinstall the amp -- one person up front to guide the tabs on the amp into the holes.

You could always buy a used radio and/or amp on eBay but you never know how long one of those will last.
Old 05-26-09, 05:12 PM
lex rookie
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies...

Thanks to both of you for the good information. The previous owner stated that he had installed his own system, and then took it out before selling the car to me. I will check everything again, and then check the amp under the seat. Glad to be a part of the family!!