LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bilsteins/stock springs vs. H&R/KYB GR2s

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 07:47 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilsteins/stock springs vs. H&R/KYB GR2s

I want to improve the appearance and handling of my 1997 LS400 that currently has 18" LS430 wheels and stock suspension.

I've searched and read several threads on shocks/springs and have finally narrowed my choices to these 2 possibilities: Bilsteins with stock springs or KYB shocks with H&R springs.

I still would like a relatively luxurious ride but with a more sporty feel and handling. I read that the Bilsteins and H&R provide about a 1" drop which would improve the appearance of the car. My LS400 is a daily driver and I often have passengers, so a lower drop would probably be a nuisance.

I know Bilsteins are good shocks, but if they're anything like the Bilsteins I have on my 1993 Miata LE, they're pretty rough-riding. I wouldn't want that kind of ride on my LS.

For those who have experience with Bilstein/stock springs and/or H&R/KYB combinations, could you please comment on the ride quality and appearance improvement of your LS?

Thank you.

Last edited by 1966; 04-18-09 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-18-09, 08:25 AM
91ls400own
Rookie

Default sHOCKS

hOW ABOUT mOROE BRAND? oPINION? i AM not TRYING TO GET SPORT FEEL RATHER JUST smooootH RIDE?
tHANK YOU
Old 04-18-09, 08:54 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL...

How is replacing solely struts going to improve the appearance of your vehicle???

Your two options should be:

1. H&R's / Bilsteins (sporty ride)
2. Tanabe DF210's / KYB GR-2s (stock ride)
3. Megan coil overs.

Pure Drifter has a set of L-Sportline coilovers for sale.. $1500 new, for $450!!
Old 04-18-09, 01:06 PM
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I saw the L-Sportsline coilovers in the classifieds. In the description it said something like it provides a drop of 1.7" - 2.3" IIRC. Good price, good value, but the drop may be too much for my taste.

By improving appearance, I meant having a lower stance with the drop. I think it looks better anyway.
Old 04-18-09, 08:02 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. Honestly if budget is not a concern then don't buy spring / strut combos, i.e. Bilsteins / H&R or Tanabe / KYB. You are better off spending the $900 or whatever it costs for Megan coilovers. That set is inexpensive and members here report good things about them. They will likely serve you better in the long run. They are both adjustable in height and ride quality.

I have had Bilstein / H&R for going on 4 years. The setup is stiff and responsive but still comfortable enough on a long trip. However, I would not buy them again - not to get into specifics other than they are not designed for lowering springs. The short of it is the lowering springs will cause the strut to blow prematurely. Mine are just over 3 years and they are starting to fail. Sure, I have them lowered more than 1" (adjustable spring perch) which speeds up failure. However, the 2" drop looks better to me. If you keep them set at 1" I imagine they'd last much longer.

I also bought Tanabe's and used them for one day with my Bilstein's. They are much softer and are like OEM. Compared to H&R's they are sloppy to me. However, you have to find a strut that works well with those or the H&R's. I don't know about KYB but bet they are like the Bilsteins (the shaft is not shortened and when lowered it will bottom out and fail quicker).

Sorry for the long post bit I have been down this road before. Honestly, go with coilovers. If budget is an issue then PM Pure Drifter and buy his $400 Bilstein modified set. For that price you'd have an adjustable set of Bilstein's. It would give you what you are looking for.

Good luck bro

Last edited by steveski; 04-18-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 09:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what do you mean by wanting a sporty feel and handling yet maintaining a luxurious ride? would you want something similar to the feel of a BMW? stiff but not bouncy/crashing over bumps?
Old 04-19-09, 07:22 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steveski
Welcome to CL. Honestly if budget is not a concern then don't buy spring / strut combos, i.e. Bilsteins / H&R or Tanabe / KYB. You are better off spending the $900 or whatever it costs for Megan coilovers. That set is inexpensive and members here report good things about them. They will likely serve you better in the long run. They are both adjustable in height and ride quality.

I have had Bilstein / H&R for going on 4 years. The setup is stiff and responsive but still comfortable enough on a long trip. However, I would not buy them again - not to get into specifics other than they are not designed for lowering springs. The short of it is the lowering springs will cause the strut to blow prematurely. Mine are just over 3 years and they are starting to fail. Sure, I have them lowered more than 1" (adjustable spring perch) which speeds up failure. However, the 2" drop looks better to me. If you keep them set at 1" I imagine they'd last much longer.

I also bought Tanabe's and used them for one day with my Bilstein's. They are much softer and are like OEM. Compared to H&R's they are sloppy to me. However, you have to find a strut that works well with those or the H&R's. I don't know about KYB but bet they are like the Bilsteins (the shaft is not shortened and when lowered it will bottom out and fail quicker).

Sorry for the long post bit I have been down this road before. Honestly, go with coilovers. If budget is an issue then PM Pure Drifter and buy his $400 Bilstein modified set. For that price you'd have an adjustable set of Bilstein's. It would give you what you are looking for.

Good luck bro
Steveski, thanks for the great info. I've read several of your posts and those certainly influenced my choices. It's particularly valuable to read your over 3 yrs experience with the H&R/Bilstein set-up. Perhaps lowering springs are not the way to go.

One of my considerations was to go with just stock springs and Bilsteins, since I read they can lower the car 1" with just perch settings. The only experience I have with Bilsteins is the one that came with my 93 miata LE. My miata is a lot of fun to drive. but the road sensory input it gives would not be what I want for my LS.

I've read about the Megan coilovers as well. At this point they're more than what I want to spend. They're definitely worth considering though.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-09, 09:31 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1966
By improving appearance, I meant having a lower stance with the drop. I think it looks better anyway.
You missed my point..

You're not going to lower anything by ONLY replacing struts..
Old 04-19-09, 09:34 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Lowering springs are good however if you go beyond 1" as I did it will shorten the life of the strut no matter what it is (OEM, Bilstein, etc.). Pure has custom Bilstein's that have I believe 4 perches - giving more adjustability. It is a nice setup for the money

Just a quick note that when I had Bilstein and H&R at regular perch the ride was much different than stock. It was what I wanted. All aspects of driving were improved (i.e. cornering, stability, braking, etc.) over OEM. On the highway it was still smooth - no more boat like feel.

I hope you get what you want. Post what you decide
Old 04-19-09, 03:49 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what do you mean by wanting a sporty feel and handling yet maintaining a luxurious ride? would you want something similar to the feel of a BMW? stiff but not bouncy/crashing over bumps?
By a sporty feel, I mean having a tighter grip during turns and having less of that floating feeling on the road. Actually just changing my wheel size achieved some increased road input.

I haven't driven a BMW so I don't know what that's like. I almost traded in my LS for a Benz C280 several months ago and I got to take the Benz home for a couple of days. I did like the way it drove as it had that tight and responsive feel. In the end, I decided to keep my LS. Hmmm, maybe I prefer the luxurious over the sporty feel after all.
Old 04-19-09, 03:53 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcrome04
You missed my point..

You're not going to lower anything by ONLY replacing struts..

Got it. I seem to remember reading in another post that having Bilsteins allow a drop of 1" even without lowering springs. I don't know if this is really true, but this is what I was referring to.
Old 04-19-09, 04:09 PM
Driver School Candidate

Lowering springs are good however if you go beyond 1" as I did it will shorten the life of the strut no matter what it is (OEM, Bilstein, etc.). Pure has custom Bilstein's that have I believe 4 perches - giving more adjustability. It is a nice setup for the money

Just a quick note that when I had Bilstein and H&R at regular perch the ride was much different than stock. It was what I wanted. All aspects of driving were improved (i.e. cornering, stability, braking, etc.) over OEM. On the highway it was still smooth - no more boat like feel.

I hope you get what you want. Post what you decide

I see. What if I simply replaced my OEM springs with H&Rs and keep my stock shocks? Our roads here in the Dallas/Plano area are quite good anyway. Do you think that the 1" drop will hasten the demise of my OEM shocks significantly?
Old 04-19-09, 04:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

my LSportline setup at it's highest perch would likely fit your needs it sounds like.

that aside, lowering springs on aged OEM shocks will cause them to die faster. on NEW oem shocks the effect is greatly delayed. Using OEM springs on Bilsteins will lower a minimal amount because the springs are so long, MAYBE a 1/2-3/4" drop on stock springs with the lower perch.
Old 04-20-09, 08:37 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1966
Got it. I seem to remember reading in another post that having Bilsteins allow a drop of 1" even without lowering springs. I don't know if this is really true, but this is what I was referring to.

Yeah - PD answered already - you can use lowest perch (there are two).
Old 04-20-09, 09:19 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah - PD answered already - you can use lowest perch (there are two).
There are actually three (or even four, i cant remember) on the L-sportlines

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 04-20-09 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins/stock springs vs. H&R/KYB GR2s