LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car jerks when shifting from Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 02:20 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car jerks when shifting from Park

Done some searching but didn't find any good answer. So here are my question.

When the engine is warm so the idle is around 650 rpm the car jerks when I change from Park to reverse and also between drive and reverse. This doesn't happens when the engine is colder so the idle is around 1000-1250 rpm. What happens is that the car give gas when i move the gearstick into drive or reverse so the engine's rpm rises for a very short moment just when the gear is activated. That is when the jerk happens.

Doesn't feel any jerks when a gear is activated and I hold the car on the brakes and step on the gas.

Is this a normal behavior? The car have done this the hole time I have had it (almost 1 year). But after reading about transmission mount problems here I got a little bit worried As you can understand I doesn't really have a problem with this (the jerks is quit timid), but I just want to make sure that everything is ok. Better to ask here first before contacting Lexus.

Thanks!
/Joel
Old 04-17-09, 02:37 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question...if you shift from Park to neutral to Reverse, does the jerk happen?

Also, when you shift from drive to neutral to reverse, does the jerk happen again?

I've been told that shifting immediately from drive to reverse and vice versa is bad (also if you don't have the brake pedal fully depressed when doing so). Haven't had problems with jerking at all on my car.
Old 04-17-09, 02:50 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by avalon42
Question...if you shift from Park to neutral to Reverse, does the jerk happen?

Also, when you shift from drive to neutral to reverse, does the jerk happen again?

I've been told that shifting immediately from drive to reverse and vice versa is bad (also if you don't have the brake pedal fully depressed when doing so). Haven't had problems with jerking at all on my car.
The shift pattern on my car is Park, reverse, neutral, drive, second and low. So I can't go from Park to neutral without go through reverse. But yes, the car jerks when I shift from neutral into reverse or drive to. I always have the brake pedal fully depressed when I shifts into reverse and drive.
Old 04-17-09, 06:02 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JAndersson
The shift pattern on my car is Park, reverse, neutral, drive, second and low. So I can't go from Park to neutral without go through reverse. But yes, the car jerks when I shift from neutral into reverse or drive to. I always have the brake pedal fully depressed when I shifts into reverse and drive.
It's definitely the mounts then.
Old 04-18-09, 01:14 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by avalon42
It's definitely the mounts then.
Ok. Thanks for your answer. Will check that then. The car has 330000km (205000miles) on it and I don't think they never have been changed so it's probably time for that now.

Maybe bad transmission mounts can explain why the gear changes sometimes can be harsh. Especially when the car changes from second to third gear around 2500-3000 rpm. If I flour it you can't feel the changes. Maybe I have to flush the transmission to. Just did a refill last summer and changed 5 liters of fluid. The behavior of the gear changes improved a bit then.
Old 04-18-09, 02:34 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are not using you parking brake so you are stressing the mount and tranny ,which is why you are supposed to use it.
Old 04-18-09, 06:27 PM
EUBT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Done some searching but didn't find any good answer. So here are my question.

When the engine is warm so the idle is around 650 rpm the car jerks when I change from Park to reverse and also between drive and reverse. This doesn't happens when the engine is colder so the idle is around 1000-1250 rpm.
Usually it happens the other way around - shifting into gear with high revs will produce a clunk because the revs are essentially slamming the tranny into gear. Also make sure that you pause when changing the tranny from forward to reverse or vice versa. In other words, if you're shifting from drive to reverse, pause in neutral for a couple of secs before continuing on to reverse. Never shift from one direction directly to the other!

Doesn't feel any jerks when a gear is activated and I hold the car on the brakes and step on the gas.
Are trying to smoke the tires? You're applying the brakes at the same time as gas pedal? Sorry, not clear on what you're saying here.

What happens is that the car give gas when i move the gearstick into drive or reverse so the engine's rpm rises for a very short moment just when the gear is activated. That is when the jerk happens.
What happens if you shift from P directly to N, pause there, then shift to D?

One other question - are you parked on level grade when you experience this jerk, or are you on an incline?

Last edited by EUBT; 04-18-09 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 11:38 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

let us know if replacing tranny mount will solve your problem, mine have the same issue, going to replace tranny mount soon
Old 04-19-09, 12:12 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by EUBT
Usually it happens the other way around - shifting into gear with high revs will produce a clunk because the revs are essentially slamming the tranny into gear. Also make sure that you pause when changing the tranny from forward to reverse or vice versa. In other words, if you're shifting from drive to reverse, pause in neutral for a couple of secs before continuing on to reverse. Never shift from one direction directly to the other!
Always pause for a second when shifting between drive and reverse so I doesn't think my shifting habits is the problem. But I can see if the car behaves different if I waits longer.

Are trying to smoke the tires? You're applying the brakes at the same time as gas pedal? Sorry, not clear on what you're saying here.
No not trying to smoke the tires Just a test to see how bad the transmission mounts are. However, doesn't know if this is a valid test.

What happens if you shift from P directly to N, pause there, then shift to D?
Same thing happens. Even starting to feel some jerks when shifting into neutral and park. So I'm quit sure that the transmission mount are going bad. Going to order a new one tomorrow Monday. As soon as I have changed it I will report how the car feels.

One other question - are you parked on level grade when you experience this jerk, or are you on an incline?
Doesn't matter were I stand. But if I stand in an incline a get a big "thump" when a shifts from park if I don't use the handbrake. But I'm quit sure that's because of all strains you put on the transmission when you let it take up the weight of the car. Going to start to use the handbrake more.
Old 04-19-09, 09:39 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Answered everyones question but mine ,wonder why ?

DING DING DING~!!!!!!
We have a weiner !
Use your parking brake or your will break your mounts and get a thud , that is what it is there for .
The mount is not the cause ,the driver is .

Doesn't matter were I stand. But if I stand in an incline a get a big "thump" when a shifts from park if I don't use the handbrake. But I'm quit sure that's because of all strains you put on the transmission when you let it take up the weight of the car. Going to start to use the handbrake more.
Old 04-19-09, 11:16 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i need to change my pbrake....doesnt hold for ish.
Old 04-20-09, 07:52 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Answered everyones question but mine ,wonder why ?

DING DING DING~!!!!!!
We have a weiner !
Use your parking brake or your will break your mounts and get a thud , that is what it is there for .
The mount is not the cause ,the driver is .
I almost always uses the barking brake when standing in an incline. And that is a different kind of thud I get then. Tried to explain that but think I failed. So sorry to disappoint you but it is not only a driver issue. The car still jerks when going from park on a completely flat surface with the parking brake on.
Old 04-22-09, 11:51 AM
JAndersson
Driver

After have followed skperformance tip of always using the handbrake when parking the car jerks less when changing between park <-> reverse <-> neutral <-> drive. Now you can hardly feel it. Still going to change the trans mount. Going to pick it up at my local toyota dealer tomorrow. But it was quit pricy. 1600 SEK (around 190$). Sometimes I don't like to live in Sweden. Everything is so much more expensive than in the US, or Canada, or Australia, or Germany, or ... think you are getting the picture. ****ing taxes...

But back to the car. Going to get the trans mount changed at Tuesday. Can then give a rapport if this fixed my problem. But I'm 99% sure my problem is caused by a bad trans mount.
Old 04-22-09, 11:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wow, the last rear trans mount i bought cost me less than $50US.
Old 04-22-09, 07:35 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

i have ordered tranny mount, dont know proce yet, but not that pricy

Quick Reply: Car jerks when shifting from Park