LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 Supercharger

Old 03-09-01, 02:46 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

This is from Japan. It looks extremely well engineered. It can be imported. It is designed for the Celsior which is Japanese for LS400!!! Looks like it would cost in the neighborhood of $6000. Anyone interested let me know and we may try to do a purchase. I am also thinking of a similar system that I would build with an air to water intercooler. Horsepower fans let me know!

Check it out the Zoomable pictures (right click mouse) here: http://www.cs-comrade.co.jp/topic.html

Old 03-09-01, 09:19 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB
this looks like a modified TRd Supercharger that I have seen on the 4-runner...It looks like basically the same bolt-on design. A friend of mine had it on his 4-runner it raised hp from 183 to like 240! not bad...
Old 03-12-01, 06:42 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

It looks like the same one RMM use to offer before they stop selling stuff for the LS4 (which they stop advertisiing the LS4 on their web page all together since they don't really offer anything for it any more). If it is then it will actually cost some where in the neighborhood of $7000. That is $7000 I don't have! Wish I have the dough! Keep us updated on how it goes.
Old 03-12-01, 08:42 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yes, RMM was advertising this system. They were going to import it but decided not to. I am told the 555,000 converts to about $5k and have a line on an importer. At $7k I had written off this option at $5k + import it may be viable.
Old 03-13-01, 01:02 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Check this site out.
It is from Australia.

www.carbontech.com
Old 03-13-01, 02:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Loule, very cool. While at Cartech we turbo'd a Lambo Countach. I took it to 130mph but drove it gingerly as a burnt clutch is big bucks and don't even ask about the cost to replace a broken transaxle.

The headers look decent but not fittable to an LS. The downdraft "carbs" look deceptively like fuel injection
Old 07-31-01, 07:35 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just courious how does the superchrager wear down the enigne as compared to a turbo charger and NOS?
Old 07-31-01, 08:25 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turbo and NO are more powerful then supercharger, but supercharger is easier to install, it does not harm your engine as much as two applications stated above and its has less power.
Old 08-01-01, 05:40 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retro, I think I would like to hear a more educated opinion of the differences of supercharging vs. turbocharging vs. nitrous oxide.
Old 08-01-01, 06:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edogg - there are A LOT of variables and there is no set answer for which causes more "wear"...As with any type of forced induction, if you go crazy with it, you're going to blow the motor. You can go mild with a low pressure add-on system or go crazy and change out your injectors, upgrade your fuel delivery system, install a high pressure system, etc., etc...it's also how you drive it...if you're doing drag races at every stop light, you're going to put more stress on the motor...

If you have a LOT of boost with a Turbo or Supercharger, it's going to stress the motor a lot. If you run it mildly, you're motor will last much longer. Of course, the more boost you run, the more power you get.

As for that kit, that's the C's kit that been out for quite some time now...they also sell a 5 liter stroker kit, some hotter cams, metal head gasket, and other nice little tidbits...quite pricy though...

Check out this link...

http://www.cs-comrade.co.jp/celsior.html

Seems to add 46HP...guess that's not too bad...the kit is JPY 730,000 (US$5,852.88) retail...I'm sure even an importer can get it into the US for less...(but I don't know what C's margins are on these kits so there may not be much of a price break even for dealer wholesale)
Old 08-01-01, 01:27 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here, educate yourself.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?threadid=417

NO is a lil different story but i can find some reviews for it.
Old 08-01-01, 02:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing you need to understand about the "disadvantage" of a Supercharger is that the parasitic drag really only affects small displacement, low torque engines (like 4 bangers). For 6 and 8 cylinders (especially 8), the drag causes a negligible amount of power loss.

However, a disadvantage of the Supercharger is that you can not do crazy levels of pressure with it. That's where turbos kick ***...of course, Turbo's have "lag" (you need to spool the turbo up for it to make a difference so you get no boost on the low end of the RPM clock...superchargers, on the other hand, start boost at lower RPMs...funny that this wasn't covered in that link from retrodrive)

But then again, unless you're going to build an all out track car, I doubt most people (especially Lexus owners) would really need or want more than what a Level 3/4 Supercharger setup would provide...

Hell, I'm a speed freak (dragged motorcycles for years where a 9 second 1/4 mile was slow) and I'm only doing a Level 2 Supercharger to my GS...if I wanted a car was seriously lightning quick, I would NOT start with a Lexus...it's pointless...if you want to do all sorts of crazy speed mods to a car, I suggest starting on a better platform...like a Supra or a AE86 Trueno/Levin. That's the type of cars you build out all crazy style...

epk: Yes, NOS, used in evil amounts can serious blow your motor...but if you're GENTLE with it, it's not too bad...many people use it in addition to turbos to get rid of some of the turbo lag...
Old 08-01-01, 02:15 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Retro for the link. That is the type of information (and person posting it) that can answer some questions. I still don't think your answer in the previous post was completely correct. I agree with manaray (and texan from the link) that there are many variables and it depends on the application. I didn't see anything about Nitrous mentioned. Did I miss that part of the discussion??

Thank you again Retro. Your services have proven themselves invaluable.

Last edited by zushwa; 08-01-01 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-01-01, 05:41 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info everybody i am not going to get one,but i was interested on what the diffrerences of the 3 will be.I would not get a supercharger if it only adds about 46hp.That's pethetic.
Old 08-02-01, 06:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Much of the information posted is helpful but understand there are MANY variables that effect how much power an engine will produce at what boost level. An interesting example is the Olds Aerotech record holding race cars. There was 2 cars built, a long-tail and a short-tail car. Both had seemingly identical engines, 2 liter Quad 4 style 16 valve 4 cylinders designed to look like the production GM engine. Batten Engineering built one engine, Fueling Engineering the other. Both completely custom, both were turbo/intercooled/fuel injection, both made 1000hp :eek:
Battens engine used 40psi of boost, Fuelings engine needed ONLY 24psi.

Depending on the design of the COMPLETE system, a turbo or supercharger or nitrous will make the most power. SRTs supercharger for Lexus will have NO problem making more power than the rest of the car can use without mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls400 Supercharger