LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cold starts on 1998 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 07:53 AM
Horsepwr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold starts on 1998 LS400

Just started happening yesterday ,went out to start the car (engine cold )and it engaged just for a split second ,turned key all the way off ,went to start again and nothing ,then again ,and it started no problem . Went in to town ,had it up to full operating temp ,and it started just fine ,made about 4 more stops ,running errends and such ,and each time it started fine .So it's only doing it when it's cold .The car has 132,000 miles ,and to my knowledge the starter has never been changed ,and my pos battery terminal is moderatly to severly corroded .I was going to clean that today when I got home from work .This morning ,it did the same thing ,engaged for split second ,but the second time I tried ,it started .
Could it just be that my battery is on it's way out ?I dont hear my starter spinning ,or anything like that .Thanks alot for any advice .
Old 04-07-09, 08:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Just started happening yesterday ,went out to start the car (engine cold )and it engaged just for a split second ,turned key all the way off ,went to start again and nothing ,then again ,and it started no problem . Went in to town ,had it up to full operating temp ,and it started just fine ,made about 4 more stops ,running errends and such ,and each time it started fine .So it's only doing it when it's cold .The car has 132,000 miles ,and to my knowledge the starter has never been changed ,and my pos battery terminal is moderatly to severly corroded .I was going to clean that today when I got home from work .This morning ,it did the same thing ,engaged for split second ,but the second time I tried ,it started .
Could it just be that my battery is on it's way out ?I dont hear my starter spinning ,or anything like that .Thanks alot for any advice .
put some graphite into the ignition lock cylinder.

sounds like the contacts in the cylinder arent making a good connection and binding

well, that's what your post seemed to say....
Old 04-07-09, 08:29 AM
Horsepwr
Driver

So your saying the problem could be in the ignition itself ?I never would have imagined that ,but what the heck ,I can give it a try .Thanks alot
Old 04-07-09, 09:55 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clean the negative terminal, then get the battery, alternator, and starter tested at any auto parts shop (Autozone does this for free). They will tell you what's killing the car. I had my starter tested and it was drawing way too many amps before the actual bearing froze on the starter motor.
Old 04-07-09, 10:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

well you didnt say if the car turned over, or even if the dash got power. you said you turned the key and nothing happened...
Old 04-07-09, 11:01 AM
Horsepwr
Driver

Im sorry ,let me clarify .The dash lights do come on ,and when the key is turned ,it does one of 2 things .either absolutly nothing ,or it immediately cranks for a split second.When it does decide it's going to start ,it sounds perfectly normal ,and cranks nice and fast .When I say it cranks for a split second ,imagine just bliping the the key to crank ,as if trying to align timin marks .Sorry guys (or gals) for the confusion .
Old 04-07-09, 11:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

check the grounds in the engine bay.
Old 04-07-09, 12:53 PM
Horsepwr
Driver

Ok ,where can Ihen I get home , find the grounds at ?When I get home ,the first thing that Im going to do is clean the battery terminals .And you can let me know where the grounds are at ,that would be great .I did go out and buy some grphite like you mentioned ,so Ill put some of that in the ignition also .Thanks again
Old 04-07-09, 03:49 PM
Horsepwr
Driver

Hey ,I just got home and for fun ,just checked the battery voltage .Without the car running ,it was 12.64v ,which I believe is too low isn't it ?Thanks
Old 04-07-09, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

go get the battery and the alternator tested.
Old 04-07-09, 06:18 PM
Horsepwr
Driver

The wife was going to stop off on her way to work and have the battery tested ,Ill let ya know what the verdict is ,but wont be till tomorrow .Thanks again for your help .
Old 04-08-09, 06:29 AM
Horsepwr
Driver

Well ,the place she took it to said the battery was toast !! But then again ,she said the guy performing the test on it didn't really seem like he knew what the heck he was doing .So...Before I go dumping $$ on a new battery ,IM going to go after work and get it tested somewhere else .I tested the voltage on the battery this morning ,after it was driven awhile ,and it had dropped since yesterday to 12.51 volts ,I turned the headlights on ,and it dropped to 12.05 .So my best guess is that it is the battery ,but just want to be certain .Unfortunatly the we just got this car ,and the person who installed the battery ,didn't punch out the date ,so there is no way of knowing how old the battery is .
Old 04-08-09, 04:59 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me on my '98 over the course of more than a year. I even had to have it towed to the dealer and the problem (not starting) wouldn't happen at the dealer which kept it several days. I was told it was the battery, so had it replaced and the problem began again soon after. I had the battery terminals cleaned and it happened again. I had the starter checked and was told the starter was fine. After a while, I did have the starter replaced and, so far, the problem hasn't returned.

Greg
Old 04-08-09, 09:17 PM
Horsepwr
Driver

Hey Greg ,thanks fo rthe reply .I had the battery tested today at 2 different places ,and both said it was fine .Was yours doing the same as mine ,where it only did it when it was cold ?Mine is fine when it's warmed up ,and Im stopping at various places ,it's only when it sits for any length of time .The auto parts store that did the first test on it said it sounded like a starter .It's just strange that it does it when it's cold ,and not ,once the engine is warm .Im kinda facing the reality of having to replace the starter .I heard it's not too fun ,but dooable .
Old 04-09-09, 07:27 PM
Horsepwr
Driver

Default **update**

Well ,today the car started just fine ...Twice .The morning ,when it had been sitting all night (which is usually it's worst time )Then it was parked for about 7 hours ,and started no problem again .Is this common for starters to work intermitantly ?

Quick Reply: Cold starts on 1998 LS400