LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Removing windshield coating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 07:04 AM
selkirk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing windshield coating?

My '98 LS400 windshield wipers don't work very well - the windshield seems dirty or oily, and cleaning it with the washer doesn't fix the problem - it removes road dirt and the like, but then it seems like there's some tenacious crud beneath that.

I've tried Windex, diluted dish soap (old trick from my EMT days - we used that to wash the ambulances), even this really excellent aerosol glass cleaner from my uncle's old tractor shop (mix of ethanol, methanol, and detergent). Nothing changes it.

I'm assuming the wipers aren't very old since service records show that the car was last maintained at the dealer 2000 miles ago in September '08 - I did see the 6 month interval mentioned elsewhere on this forum but do Lexus wipers really only last that long? In any event some areas seem worse than others, so I'm thinking it can't *all* be the wipers.

What I'm wondering is this. We tried Rain-X years ago at the insistence of someone who was just cuckoo for the stuff, and we didn't like it at all. I seem to recall this was how the windshield acted afterward - like it needed to be cleaned and couldn't be. We tried practically everything with no success. Finally, we gave up and accepted that the car's windshield would never be clean - until years later a stone chip cracked the glass. The replacement windshield instantly and permanently fixed the problem.

Is there something I can do to get this coating off, short of replacing my windshield? I have the following things I haven't tried:

- Various degreasers
- 99% isopropyl alcohol
- Brake cleaner and carb cleaner (saw a warning against trying this elsewhere)
- "900" (naphtha-based final prep solvent for cleaning metals before painting them - removes practically everything, but I'm concerned that it will hurt the paint if I get a bit on it)
- Steel wool (000, 0000) - saw this recommended somewhere but wouldn't it scratch the glass?

Someone mentioned a glass stripper product - does this work? Do I need to keep it off the paint?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-09, 09:23 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain X rocks...Would never leave home without it!
Old 03-15-09, 09:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

brillo pad and water. just dont scrub the paint also lol.
Old 03-15-09, 09:39 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. I the best solution is to buy a new windshield.

RainX sucks, it leaves its own film.

Here's some more info.

" Lexus Pilkington was the manufacturer of Lexus glass and that their aftermarket product for my car was identical. He said it was very common that aftermarket Pilkington glass also had the Lexus stamp etched on it. Based upon his comments, I expressly ordered Pilkington from one of my Lexus dealer recommended installers. They seemed a bit surprised that I knew to order Pilkington (which they also referred to as LOF). They did confirm that Pilkington supplies Lexus and that their aftermarket glass for Lexas often have the Lexas etching on it, but mine did not. My windshield is as clear any of the brand new Lexus windshields I have owned and all for $210 installed." - ?
Old 03-15-09, 10:11 AM
selkirk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bradster
Rain X rocks...Would never leave home without it!
It does seem to be one of the more polarizing products out there, that's for sure. You either swear by it or swear at it, I guess.

LiCelsior, does the Brillo pad really not scratch the glass? Should I use a light touch with it? I'm just... afraid to use abrasives on it.
Old 03-15-09, 10:34 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

only thing that can scratch glass is a diamond....and i highly doubt the brillo pad is equivalent to a diamond lol.
Old 03-15-09, 11:56 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

I had replaced my LS front cracked windshield with an after market laminated windshield for 55$ only.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2028_SuperSILICOAT.htm

Guys any one know anything which can help with cleaning the glass window from film marks and lines?

Last edited by qewani1; 03-15-09 at 12:16 PM.