LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st gen LS400 or 96-98 acura Tl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 10:24 PM
rebith75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen LS400 or 96-98 acura Tl?

anyone have any opinions?? dont have a big enough budget for the 2nd gen, (though have considered fixing up some broken ones but no longer considering that), So basically around a 94 TL vs around 98 or 97 TL....
Old 03-05-09, 10:25 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

didnt those TLs have tranny problems?
Old 03-05-09, 10:26 PM
rebith75
Driver School Candidate

great question, I have not heard, but that is something that would factor in Ha
Old 03-06-09, 09:55 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st gen LS FTW.
Old 03-06-09, 10:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

1st Gen TL did not have transmission problems. It was using the C32A engine that's carried over from the legend. It's a completely different car than the 2nd gen TL that's plague with problems.

Obviously the LS400 is the more desired car because it was sold as a full-size luxury car while the TL was a semi-luxury car (in today's standard). However you need to test drive both car because having a Lexus nameplate doesn't always mean it's better. Both car drives smoothly, and despite the TL having a 3.2L V6 only, it's about as quick as the 1st gen LS400. Your can forget about FWD vs RWD because these cars are not meant to be raced around the track. They're cruisers and when you're cruising, wheel drive configuration does not matter.

Again, drive both cars and see which one you like better. When you're test driving, ignore the badge and judge the car for its merit. Keep in mind many of the TL's replacement parts (body-wise) are expensive because it had no equivalent where as the newer TLs are based on the Accord. however, it doesn't really have any problem. The LS seems to have a few quirks here and there. Very important to buy either cars in top shape otherwise you're going to be spending a lot on repairs.
Old 03-06-09, 10:26 AM
rebith75
Driver School Candidate

I think I like the styling of the TL a little better than the older LS's (not 98+), and although they are both made very well I like that the LS is basically made to be the best car in the world at the time...maybe ill come into some cash and not have to settle for either and get a 98
Old 03-06-09, 11:45 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

but 1st gen has the good of its own, and it is such an unique classic VIP car.
Old 03-09-09, 11:34 AM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
1st Gen TL did not have transmission problems. It was using the C32A engine that's carried over from the legend. It's a completely different car than the 2nd gen TL that's plague with problems.

Obviously the LS400 is the more desired car because it was sold as a full-size luxury car while the TL was a semi-luxury car (in today's standard). However you need to test drive both car because having a Lexus nameplate doesn't always mean it's better. Both car drives smoothly, and despite the TL having a 3.2L V6 only, it's about as quick as the 1st gen LS400. Your can forget about FWD vs RWD because these cars are not meant to be raced around the track. They're cruisers and when you're cruising, wheel drive configuration does not matter.

Again, drive both cars and see which one you like better. When you're test driving, ignore the badge and judge the car for its merit. Keep in mind many of the TL's replacement parts (body-wise) are expensive because it had no equivalent where as the newer TLs are based on the Accord. however, it doesn't really have any problem. The LS seems to have a few quirks here and there. Very important to buy either cars in top shape otherwise you're going to be spending a lot on repairs.
I beg to differ on the FWD vs. RWD. TL's have awful torque steer under heavy acceleration on anything less than perfect tarmac. RWD also allows for a tighter turning radius and offers better steering feel in all conditions.

I also feel the 1G LS looks less "dated" than the 1G TL. Also, the Premium Nakamichi Stereo System was rated one of the best ever to grace a factory automobile.
Old 03-09-09, 12:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Like I said..on the streets, unless you push it hard, most people wont be able to tell. There are lots of factor that goes into steering response and turning radius. Wheel configuration is just one part of the equation, but not the end of all.

1st gen TL does not suffer torque steer like most Honda products that's being cranked out today. The TL uses a longitudinal mounting that allows the car to use equal length driveshafts. You have the same L/R bias unlike most FWD cars today. This greatly reduces any torque steer the car may have. Also, the LS has a turning radius of 208" while the TL covers the same track in 211". 3" is considered negligible.

I have enough time behind the wheels of both cars and they're both fantastic, but the TL shouldn't be discounted just because it has FWD. Honda makes the best FWD vehicles out there and the TL is no exception. NO one is going to be racing these cars so the RWD performance stuff gets thrown out the window.
Old 03-09-09, 12:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, most 1st gen TLs are actually 2.5L i5 engines, and from what I hear they are more reliable than the 3.2, which tend to burn oil with age.
Old 03-09-09, 06:36 PM
tcbted
Driver

The transmission problems were on the 1999-2003 3.2TL's, 5spd auto's.
Some people talk about going through 3 and 4 trannies.
Problem was the oil passages were too narrow, and the internals overheat.
Even worse, the replacement units were never corrected, so people keep replacing
their transmissions with the same flawed units. The bean counters at Honda deemed it
more profitable to extend the warranty than to redesign the faulty transmission.

I briefly owned a 2002 TL ... tranny blew at 50k, Honda replaced it free with their
goodwill extension on the auto trans. Then I dumped it, because the replacement unit
will also overheat and blow.

The 96-98 TL will not have this issue.
One car is a spirited Accord, the other is a high end luxo cruiser.

The LS is certainly the more unique car.
Old 03-09-09, 07:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wouldn't necessarily call it a spirited Accord. The 96-98 TL shares nothing in common with the Accord (Not even oil filter!). However, it does have the same engine/transmission from the 91-95 Acura legend and that car itself was a gem. Too bad Honda doesn't make anything the way they use to. I would opt for the 95+ LS if possible. I highly recommend test driving both cars. If I could, I'd have both of them in my garage

Old 03-09-09, 08:17 PM
tcbted
Driver

Re "spirited Accord", I was referring to the second generation '99-03 3.2TL's.

I owned 2 Accords of the same generation ... the switchgear, seats, console,
headliner, glove box .... all came from the same parts bin. Side by side, the cars looked like twins.

Gen 2 Acuras were directly derived from the Accord platform, with a bigger motor, and a crappy 5spd auto.
Old 03-10-09, 07:33 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't necessarily call it a spirited Accord. The 96-98 TL shares nothing in common with the Accord (Not even oil filter!). However, it does have the same engine/transmission from the 91-95 Acura legend and that car itself was a gem. Too bad Honda doesn't make anything the way they use to. I would opt for the 95+ LS if possible. I highly recommend test driving both cars. If I could, I'd have both of them in my garage

The LS looks soooo much better than the TL, IMO. I still notice the difference in drive with FWD vs. RWD. I have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a Legend (Owned a 1992 6-speed coupe). It had very noticeable torque steer. Was a great car regardless and very quick in it's day. The automatic trannies are not bullet proof as I helped a buddie change a couple. Those little transfer cases are a *****!

The 1991 LS I got that replaced the legend lasted me over 13 years and 450,000 miles before I sold it. Besides needing to replace the rear control arm bushings, she was solid as a rock. Original motor/trans and exhaust. Most TL's or Legends I have seen with over 250,000 on the dial are usually on their 2nd motor and trans. Both a great cars I just think the LS is World Class.
Old 03-12-09, 04:12 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

my mom has a 2001 tl, and i have ridden in many 1st gen tl's. I just got a 1ls. The tranny problems in the later model of the tl are not as bad as people make it out to be, yes there are some cases where people go through a few but for the most part either dont get theirs replaced or only replaced once. After driving the 2 cars, i find the ls to be much nicer, it is alot smoother of a car, and is just so relaxing to drive, the acura is just not up to the same level, the quality is not on the same level, the seats are not as nice, there is more cabin noise. they are both nice cars, but after driving both, i find that the ls is a much nicer car, even if it is alot older. also i would have to agree with MeryLexmas, the lexus v8 is one of the best motors made, and is known to last for even over 500,000 miles i have heard, while i have never seen a honda/ acura that lasts over 250k-300k with the original motor. granted that still is a long time, but it is no 450k-500k+.

Quick Reply: 1st gen LS400 or 96-98 acura Tl?