LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Pump - 1997 LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 07:42 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Pump - 1997 LS

I had my power steering pump replaced just over a year ago by JP Importz in Garland. The pump is now making lots of high-pitched whining noise. Have other members used this Sponsor (or former Sponsor) of CL?
Old 03-03-09, 12:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you check the fluid level...if you let the pump run dry due to a leak in the line i'm pretty sure it isnt their fault.
Old 03-03-09, 12:07 PM
etex
Driver

I'm not trying to blame them for something that's not theirs. The fluid level is and has continued to be at the proper point all along. Never added flued, and there are no leaks. When refilling the system, however, they used Toyota Type T-IV instead of the recommended Dexron fluid. Don't know if that's good or bad.
Old 03-03-09, 12:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

in the power steering?
that's bad....

should be dexron, but it shouldnt cause the pump to fail, least not normally.
Old 03-03-09, 12:25 PM
etex
Driver

What would you recommend in this case? JP Importz is a 5-hour drive from me, if they're still in business and still in Garland, TX.
Old 03-04-09, 10:40 AM
etex
Driver

Looks like this thread died a natural death.
Old 03-04-09, 11:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you have to give people more than 10hours to respond there tiger.

call them, see what they'll do for you.
more will happen then just by posting here.
Old 03-04-09, 01:17 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Flush the fluid, that may solve your problem.
Old 03-05-09, 08:36 PM
rob22
Rookie

Flush the fluid

Check your low pressure hose for pinches

Did the rebuilt unit have a new bearing? Not sure if those always get replaced on remanufactured pumps.

Does it make the whining noise all the time or is it louder when you reach the end points of the steering (full-left or full-right)?

Few ideas, good luck-
Rob
Old 03-09-09, 01:27 PM
etex
Driver

Rob22, it's all the time. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'll be taking it back to JP Importz in Garland soon, and we'll see how it all works out. I'll try and let you know.
Old 03-12-09, 08:26 AM
etex
Driver

Update: I made the 5-hour drive and the pump was replaced with a new pump (not remanufactured), and the fluid used this ltime was Valvoline ATF. Then it was discoved that the noise is apparently from the alternator. I was charged for the cost (retail) of the new pump and fluid. Labor provided by JP Importz. My cost was over $600, and I still have ATF fluid instead of Dexron. Any comments other than those relating to my stupidity?
Old 03-12-09, 11:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

which valvoline ATF did they use? Valvoline offers 6 different types of ATF, 4 of which meet Dexron/Mercon specs.

seems like they redid it properly, although i'll question why you payed for a new pump and fluid if they screwed up and used the wrong fluid in the first place...
Old 03-12-09, 05:39 PM
JasonJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,
This is Jason from JP Importz. You left out too many details about your vehicle. You emailed us on Monday and requested that I have to replace your pump again because the one we replaced last year was defected. I offer to take a look at it immediately and setting up a loaner car while you are in town. I asked a few questions about the condition of your car. You stated it's the pump that is bad.... You actually diagnose the vehicle since you have work on it many times. Tuesday comes around, You email me and said you can come in on Wed 03/11. So we had to run to Place Place in Plano to pick up a brand new lexus pump. You came in on Wednesday morning, I test drove it. The noise definitely coming from the pump area but one strange thing. The noise didn't increase when steering side to side. I went ahead and install that new pump under warranty. After the new lexus pump is install the noise is still there. I removed the drive belt and I would spin the alternator. It sounds awful. Alternator bearing is bad. I asked if you would like me to reinstall the old pump. And it will take the new pump back to lexus or I will eat it. But you have to pay for the reinstall. You declined and wanted to keep the New pump from Park place lexus on there. I asked me how much is the alternator, We gave you a price and you declined. You said you can work on your own. So let's cap this off. I spent 3 hrs of my time and didn't charge you a dime. Our warranty is 20k miles 20 months, and we will stand behind it. In this case, I feel like I was taken for a ride because you were so sure that the pump was the problem. BTW, It doesn't matter if its Dexron or T-IV. I tried all of them and used them many years. I had my share with these Ls400 power steering pump.
I haven't post on here for years but I want to jump here to let everyone knows the other side of the story. And we stand behind our work. 20 months and 20k miles means 20 months and 20k miles!
Have a great day
JP

Last edited by JasonJP; 03-13-09 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 06:28 AM
etex
Driver

Jason: Most of what you say is true. You, however, are the ASE mechanic and should have verified the source of the noise before removing the other pump. While we're at it, why did you charge me for the cap for the PS pump? The cap was on the pump when it was in the opened box. Also, why did I not get the cap for the pump which came off the car. Got the pump, but no cap. Is there something about the caps that I don't know, other than $28.00 each? In addition, you were going to charge me labor if I went back with the old pump.
Old 03-13-09, 09:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you know, you guys COULD just take this to PM and post a resolution, but i guess you're trying to keep us all entertained?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump - 1997 LS