LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Repair Manuals for 1998 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 10:01 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair Manuals for 1998 LS400

I am starting to wise up to the fact that I am gonna have to get my hands dirty again to do maintenence/repairs on our LS. I can't really afford to pay what the dealers or indys want to do the work. Has anyone bought the repair manuals from this ebay seller??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Manu...1%7C240%3A1318

I know that they are really CDs (or DVDs) and it bothers me a little that the seller doesn't really say that in his listing. Still, I'd rather get the Lexus manuals for ~27 on disks than spend about the same for an aftermarket paper manual. Any opinions?
Old 02-22-09, 10:48 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought one for my 92. Didn't buy it form this seller tho. It is a cd and has helped some in my repairs. I would much rather have the book, since I can take it outside with me and prop it on the car as I work.

BTW,, there are no aftermarket paper manuals for the LS. Have to get them EXCLUSIVELY from the dealer, if they will sell them to you, or from someone who managed to get their hands on one. Cost close to $200 for a hardback copy IIRC.

Last edited by trukn1; 02-22-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 12:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

oh, and the hardback copies are really softback to boot

i have a pair of manuals, one for a '98 and one for my old '95
(no, neither is for sale.)
Old 02-22-09, 05:53 PM
selkirk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
BTW,, there are no aftermarket paper manuals for the LS. Have to get them EXCLUSIVELY from the dealer, if they will sell them to you, or from someone who managed to get their hands on one. Cost close to $200 for a hardback copy IIRC.
Does the factory copy only have printing on every other page? Some guy on flea-bay was selling a manual that only had printing on each page and claimed to cover all UCF20's (95-00). Asked the seller if it was original and he said he didn't think so. Are your factory manuals one-side only and covering multiple years?
Old 02-22-09, 05:59 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by selkirk
Does the factory copy only have printing on every other page? Some guy on flea-bay was selling a manual that only had printing on each page and claimed to cover all UCF20's (95-00). Asked the seller if it was original and he said he didn't think so. Are your factory manuals one-side only and covering multiple years?
An official repair manual set from Lexus covers only one model and one model year and is "duplex" (double sided) printed. I almost always purchase the official repair manuals as soon as I buy a car ... bought them for my first LS in 1990 and for the 2000 LS I purchased used in 2003. Having the repair manuals saves a lot of grief over the years.
Old 02-23-09, 06:42 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and bought these on disk from the ebay seller. I'll let you know what I think when I get 'em. I would much prefer to have the manuals in book form too, but I do have a old laptop I can take out to the garage. Maybe that will work out.

What's the reason for no aftermarket manuals? I would have thought Chiltons or Haynes would have made one.
Old 02-23-09, 08:21 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the high end Luxury cars, you would be very hard pressed to find an aftermarket manual for. You ever see a manual for a Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Infinit, etc in the stores? These manuals, even if they do exists, are very rare and hard to find. You may be able to find a section in the Haynes manual but you have to buy the HUGE book with multiple cars in it to find stuff, and evn then it will not be complete, or missing information. The thought behind this is if you can afford to have a high end car like this then you can also afford the repairs(not always the case). Not to mention, it discourages the average "Joe Mechanic" from picking up a wrench and screwing up the car even more. Like evolution, you just can't stop a determined "backyard mechanic", as we will always find ways to get things done.