LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

URGENT QUESTION Bad windshield glass replacement '93

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 04:34 PM
mael
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT QUESTION Bad windshield glass replacement '93

I had my front windshield glass replaced and when they replaced it it did not seem to be reinstalled correctly. Can someone show me a pic of their windshield for a 93 LS...They had 94 LS400 written on the receipt. The guy even said it was SUPPOSED to sit like that. I made them give me a written warranty.
Old 02-20-09, 05:04 PM
mael
Driver School Candidate

The problem is the sides of the winshield has space on the rails/gutter. I don't remember if its supposed to sit flush or not...Please help! I have only 2 days for repair.
Old 02-20-09, 08:43 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know if this will help any. Will try to look for better pic. First gen (89-94) bodystyle is all the same. You can see by my pic that the bottom of the windshield does not sit flush with the rails. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT QUESTION Bad windshield glass replacement '93-002a.jpg  
Old 02-20-09, 08:50 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

One more,, this may be a little clearer than the other one I posted,,
Attached Thumbnails URGENT QUESTION Bad windshield glass replacement '93-001-800x600-.jpg  
Old 02-20-09, 09:21 PM
mael
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Yes sir. It sure does help a lot. I just wanted confirmation. It looked real funny to me because I didn't remember how they looked before they removed the windshield. (I just got the car).

I even had a little argument with the windshield guy about it. He said he would bet that that is how it went. Short story I would have lost the bet.

Anyone know why the windows are made this way?? (I also saw a LS460 and it is of similar design).

Much appreciated...
Old 02-20-09, 09:23 PM
mael
Driver School Candidate

BTW...Nice car...VERY NICE CAR...I love the grille
Old 02-20-09, 09:26 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mael
Yes sir. It sure does help a lot. I just wanted confirmation. It looked real funny to me because I didn't remember how they looked before they removed the windshield. (I just got the car).

I even had a little argument with the windshield guy about it. He said he would bet that that is how it went. Short story I would have lost the bet.

Anyone know why the windows are made this way?? (I also saw a LS460 and it is of similar design).

Much appreciated...
my guess is cut down on wind noise and hide the wipers?
Old 02-20-09, 09:59 PM
mael
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rocan
my guess is cut down on wind noise and hide the wipers?
Weird design indeed. The wipers are hidden by the hood cowl and as for wind noise...since it's not flush it would create greater turbulence. I don't know as I'm not an engineer. It was just it looked so weird considering how clean all the other lines of the car are in design...
Old 02-20-09, 10:16 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Part of the reason the windshield sits, kinda recessed is so when the wipers are on, the water flows down into the drains and not over the sides of the windshield like most cars. This way, if you have your window cracked, during a rain storm or shower you don't get the torrent of water flowing into the car and running into the door, shorting out the door lock panel, power windows etc. The design works, most of the time, but is not flawless. You have to remember that back in 89 when this car was first introduced to the US, EVERYTHING about this car was WAAAYYYYY ahead of it's time. It is even said that the first gens are probably THE MOST OVERLY engineered car in the entire Lexus lineup, which may attribute as to why there are still so many on the road today. The car shares no platform with ANYTHING, motor was from the ground up and highly developed(which is why is is such a PITA to get to some stuff,,, especialy the starter. LOL)

Mael,, thanks for the compliment. I have more pics to view in a thread titled, "COOL is Contagious". Pretty nuch the last set of pics I really took of the car last sumer, so it still looks the same now. Economy has put a hold on mods for a minute. Here is my thread,,,https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...ontagious.html
Old 02-20-09, 10:52 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trukn1
Part of the reason the windshield sits, kinda recessed is so when the wipers are on, the water flows down into the drains and not over the sides of the windshield like most cars. This way, if you have your window cracked, during a rain storm or shower you don't get the torrent of water flowing into the car and running into the door, shorting out the door lock panel, power windows etc. The design works, most of the time, but is not flawless. You have to remember that back in 89 when this car was first introduced to the US, EVERYTHING about this car was WAAAYYYYY ahead of it's time. It is even said that the first gens are probably THE MOST OVERLY engineered car in the entire Lexus lineup, which may attribute as to why there are still so many on the road today. The car shares no platform with ANYTHING, motor was from the ground up and highly developed(which is why is is such a PITA to get to some stuff,,, especialy the starter. LOL)

Mael,, thanks for the compliment. I have more pics to view in a thread titled, "COOL is Contagious". Pretty nuch the last set of pics I really took of the car last sumer, so it still looks the same now. Economy has put a hold on mods for a minute. Here is my thread,,,https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...ontagious.html

probably the most overly engineered car ever...