LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory phone....can it be activated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 12:41 AM
LouLex400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory phone....can it be activated?

ant way to get the factory phone to work?
Old 02-20-09, 05:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Lou, depending on your area it might still work for emergency calls but state of the art has progressed so much beyond the old built-in analog Lexus phones, most companies don't offer new service plans using it. It's a completely different technology than current phone networks.

I had one in both my old GS and LS, and opted just to leave them in the car because of the amount of wiring you have to remove to get 'em out.
Old 02-20-09, 06:03 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

No, the factory phone should not work at all even to call 911. If there is still a pocket of analog phone service left in the U.S. it would be a fluke.

It is quite easy to remove the phone components like the handset and cradle and the phone ECU in the trunk. The main thing is to not cut any wires -- unplug components. Don't remove any of the phone prewire harness that was installed at the factory. It doesn't hurt to leave the phone's command module on the steering wheel -- I don't know if the plastic piece to cover the hole is available as a replacement part. Phone ECU's in Lexus cars differ -- if you unplug the ECU in the trunk and there are two large connectors that can plug together, then plug them together to complete the circuit.

The upper console tray insert can be pried out if necessary to remove the handset cradle -- use a putty knife with a taped blade to prevent damage. After removing the phone handset cradle, some people have used a portion of black mouse pad or similar material and glued it down to cover the holes left by the handset cradle.

On a 96 LS400, once you unplug the handset from the connectors under the air vent you see when you lift the arm rest, one of the pins on the driver side phone connector can be used with an aftermarket Bluetooth phone kit to automatically mute the audio system when a phone call is in progress.

There is also a coax cable under the center console for the phone antenna imprinted on the back window. I don't know if the imprinted phone antenna was designed to work with a GSM phone but the imprinted phone antenna on my 00 LS400 works great with mine. To use the phone antenna for an aftermarket phone kit - Bluetooth or otherwise - would require a phone cradle like the ones sold by Lexus and Toyota dealers in Europe. I'm going to check to see if the simpler version of the two Mercedes MHI phone cradles would work in my 00 LS400.
Old 02-20-09, 06:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
No, the factory phone should not work at all even to call 911. If there is still a pocket of analog phone service left in the U.S. it would be a fluke.
Lol, good call looks like it happened about a year ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021500036.html

Kansas, if you live out in Overland Park (I spent some time there a couple of years ago) I guess that could explain some of your background knowledge
Old 02-20-09, 05:24 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know why they had to do away with the analog. There are still alot of 1980s and 1990s cars with the old factory phones... would be nice if they would at least still dial 911.
Old 02-20-09, 06:29 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
I dont know why they had to do away with the analog. There are still alot of 1980s and 1990s cars with the old factory phones... would be nice if they would at least still dial 911.
It is because analog cell phone service is a pathetically inefficient use of the frequency spectrum. Here is something to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...e_Phone_System

Both Mexico and Canada were ahead of the U.S. and got rid of analog cell phone service before the U.S. did.

I actually know a few people with old dealer installed Lexus brand phones (none were "factory phones") in their Lexus cars. All of them have hand held cell phones they could use to call 911.
Old 02-21-09, 10:50 AM
LouLex400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Can't even try to call 911 because the phone lock is activated......anyway to get the "Unlock code"?
Old 02-21-09, 11:39 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LouLex400
Can't even try to call 911 because the phone lock is activated......anyway to get the "Unlock code"?
Please reread the above posts. Analog (AMPS) is gone. So is the newer TDMA protocol. The frequencies formerly used by Analog and TDMA have been auctioned off by the federal government. I think I read that there are islands in the Carribbean with at least some analog service if you are planning to take your Lexus there.

There is probably a way to unlock the phone without knowing the code -- it might be described in the separate phone manual that the original owner got and it might be described in the phone installation instructions that might still be on the subscription based Lexus techinfo website.

The lock/unlock code of the fixed phone that came in the LS400 I bought in 1990 was * plus the last four digits of my phone number. I don't know if that was the standard lock/unlock code or if that was just the way the installer programmed mine.

Back when cell phone air time and roaming fees were far higher than today, it was very important to lock cell phones. I knew people who had kids and auto dealership flunkies run up some stratospheric phone bills when they forgot to lock their phones. I was very careful to lock my Lexus car phone when dropping off the car for service.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-21-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-21-09, 02:48 PM
LouLex400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Kansas......I get the whole analog deal, just don't want to part with idea of having that cool phone (Brick) working.....like James Bond in the 80's.

Regards,
Louis
Old 02-21-09, 03:59 PM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by LouLex400
Thanks Kansas......I get the whole analog deal, just don't want to part with idea of having that cool phone (Brick) working.....like James Bond in the 80's.

Regards,
Louis
Louis, You could prolly get a tech to modify/update the electronics in the oem phone. Depends how much $$$ it's worth to you, Mr Bond ..... James Bond!

Last edited by EUBT; 02-21-09 at 06:17 PM.