LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 ring and pinion compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 04:57 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 ring and pinion compatibility

hey-

been reading through the threads of people modding mk4 rear ends to fit the LS, has anyone taken apart their diff? I just wanted to verify that its a 8" diameter, 10 bolt unit- if so, any aftermarket LSD ala sc300/gs300/JZA80 auto could be directly interchanged into the place of the stock open right?

also, the ring and pinion would be interchangable with sc300/gs400/mk4 supra-

would be idea way for NA ls400 guys to get shorter FD and turbo 2j guys to get longer FD

post pictures of dissasembled ls400 diffs if you can!
Old 02-09-09, 06:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

diffs are different between generations.
Old 02-10-09, 11:31 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

i am aware, the mounting and covers are differnt.

are the internals- RING AND PINION the same?

your post was pretty un-informative and space consuming-
Old 02-10-09, 01:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by wanganstyl
i am aware, the mounting and covers are differnt.

are the internals- RING AND PINION the same?

your post was pretty un-informative and space consuming-
the rear end ratios, the cases, and rear mounts, as well as the physical mounting points for each diff on the chassis, is different across the 1st 2.5 generations of the LS400, and there is no bolt-on or swap in solution readily available for the 89-94 and likely the 95-97 LS400 available currently. those who have tried have tried primarily the whole diffs, and have had to go through the process of modifying the rear subframe to create all new custom mounts (welding/cutting/etc...)

the 98-00 SHOULD be able to take a normal supra Diff since it has the same basic mounting setup as the GS/SC of its age, but will require you to swap your rear plate from your LS' diff to the new one.

so, again, the answer is yes and no, dependant on AGE.
Old 03-06-09, 10:29 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

well, you avoided the question entirely (again)

is the ring gear and pinion gear only compatible with the later 98+ ring and pinion gear? is it the same compatibility as all supra and sc300/400?

IF SO, all the 89-94 and 95-97 ls400 guys looking to stop 1 wheel burnouts could just order TRD or kaaz lsd's and install them in their original diff, saving all this hassle to mount a stock secondhand torsen or stock clutch diff thats really not that good, (and rather expensive and hard to come by)

im not at all interested in the casing and its mounting- i do not have a LS400. I want to clear-ify a puzzle for LS400 owners and open up a possiblity for the entire community of GS/SC/LS/MK4 owners looking to adjust gearing to something else

if the ring and pinions are all the same, then you can have any of the following 8" toyota LSD units: aftermarket, any stock 8" 10 bolt LSD, also any of the following gearing: 3.27, 3.76, 3.92, 4.08, 4.27 - just off the top of my head, im sure there are more.

that would be so easy for anyone to custom spec gears, just find a LS or GS at pic your part and grab the rear end, tear its r&P out and fit to whichever case/diff setup you want.

Last edited by wanganstyl; 03-06-09 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 10:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

well, you avoided the question entirely (again)

is the ring gear and pinion gear only compatible with the later 98+ ring and pinion gear? is it the same compatibility as all supra and sc300/400?

IF SO, all the 89-94 and 95-97 ls400 guys looking to stop 1 wheel burnouts could just order TRD or kaaz lsd's and install them in their original diff, saving all this hassle to mount a stock secondhand torsen or stock clutch diff thats really not that good, (and rather expensive and hard to come by)

im not at all interested in the casing and its mounting- i do not have a LS400. I want to clear-ify a puzzle for LS400 owners and open up a possiblity for the entire community of GS/SC/LS/MK4 owners looking to adjust gearing to something else

if the ring and pinions are all the same, then you can have any of the following 8" toyota LSD units: aftermarket, any stock 8" 10 bolt LSD, also any of the following gearing: 3.27, 3.76, 3.92, 4.08, 4.27 - just off the top of my head, im sure there are more.

that would be so easy for anyone to custom spec gears, just find a LS or GS at pic your part and grab the rear end, tear its r&P out and fit to whichever case/diff setup you want.
again, the answer varies, for 89-97 LS400s the answer is as yet unknown about swapability.

for 98-00, you can use ANY mkiv supra or sc/toyota 8" rear dif gearing (ring and pinion) although you may have to use some of the LS parts in the dif as well.

the bit about buying any LSD and having it work, well, that's a possibility but depends on the modifications necessary.
Old 03-06-09, 09:22 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only diff possibilities I can see the LS400 sharing guts with is the MKIII Supra/Cressida.
Old 03-06-09, 11:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

first gen maybe, 98+ is same basic stuff as supra/gs/sc of the age.
Old 03-07-09, 01:10 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

checking with a forum vendor toyota dealer, it should be compatible- does anyone have a LS400 (early) rear pumpkin they can take apart and post pictures/spec of? I would be glad to, but do not have a LS400.

buying a LSD = buying the UNIT ONLY - i.e. i walk to the parts counter at toyota and order:

1 x ptr04-00026

from talking to one of the forum vendors @ a dealer, the ring/pinion should be compatible- housings are an issue i'm not really concerned about.

open casing, remove parts needed, re-install

that would be all.

the idea of paying an arm+leg for a complete pumpkin with a secondhand OEM crappy toyota LSD is just poor IMO. Not what I am interested in doing.

if your technical prowess reflected your post count, you would understand what I am trying to communicate- installing a TRD LSD in any SC/GS/MK4 is a simple matter of removing open diff unit and stuffing the LSD in its place.

if you dont know how an LSD install works; its easy

heres some pictures to explain (no words required)

http://picasaweb.google.com/wanganstyle/Wiring#

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
again, the answer varies, for 89-97 LS400s the answer is as yet unknown about swapability.

for 98-00, you can use ANY mkiv supra or sc/toyota 8" rear dif gearing (ring and pinion) although you may have to use some of the LS parts in the dif as well.

the bit about buying any LSD and having it work, well, that's a possibility but depends on the modifications necessary.

Last edited by wanganstyl; 03-07-09 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-07-09, 01:11 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
The only diff possibilities I can see the LS400 sharing guts with is the MKIII Supra/Cressida.

no. that is a distinct FAIL;

the MK3 jza70 body and cressida use different diff style, its physicallhy smaller than the LS/SC/GS/MK4
Old 03-07-09, 02:13 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

checking with a forum vendor toyota dealer, it should be compatible- does anyone have a LS400 (early) rear pumpkin they can take apart and post pictures/spec of? I would be glad to, but do not have a LS400.

buying a LSD = buying the UNIT ONLY - i.e. i walk to the parts counter at toyota and order:

1 x ptr04-00026

from talking to one of the forum vendors @ a dealer, the ring/pinion should be compatible- housings are an issue i'm not really concerned about.

open casing, remove parts needed, re-install

that would be all.

the idea of paying an arm+leg for a complete pumpkin with a secondhand OEM crappy toyota LSD is just poor IMO. Not what I am interested in doing.

if your technical prowess reflected your post count, you would understand what I am trying to communicate- installing a TRD LSD in any SC/GS/MK4 is a simple matter of removing open diff unit and stuffing the LSD in its place.

if you dont know how an LSD install works; its easy

heres some pictures to explain (no words required)

http://picasaweb.google.com/wanganstyle/Wiring#
keep the personal attacks down.

i said everything you just conveyed, that the gearing is compatible in the model years i indicated. the LSD internals may have issues with the internal design of the LS400 rear differential since the rear housing plate is different, and unique, to the LS.

you're so confident, you don't need me here to answer a QUESTION that you asked, do it on your own then, good luck. i've known for the past 3 years that swapping internals into the 98+ LS from a supra/SC/GS is possible, from actual part-part comparisons, as well as speaking with toyota mechs, parts dealers, and several aftermarket suppliers.

i just don't see the point in it for my car atm.
Old 03-08-09, 11:34 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

There are two cars over here in Aus running 94 to 97 Supra Torsen diffs , one is a 90 Celsior , the other a 92 LS400 .
Just the guts mind you,crown wheel and pinion was also changed.
Some of the Soarers came standard with a Torsen LSD and there's quite a few guys with Soarers who have stuffed a Celsior diff guts in there just to get them around for a bit,so if a Celsior/LS400 diff will go into a Soarer housing then anything that fits in that will go into a Celsior or LS400.
As far as I'm aware anything that is the same size will go into any other model with the same size.
So far haven't come across anything to disprove this.
I'll see if I can dig up the article with the 92 LS with a torsen in it.
Old 03-08-09, 11:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if this is true, then the following is likely true as well.

89-97 LS400s can accept Supra/Soarer differential internals but NOT whole diffs.
98-00 LS400s can accept supra/soarer internals AND whole diff assemblies, with the swapping over of rear mounting plates.
Old 03-08-09, 11:48 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

yes, now you are contributing.

instead of posting lots of times....get directly to the point!
Old 05-05-10, 08:16 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thread resurrection.............
Did you ever get an answer for this question wanganstyl? Does the TRD differential for an SC fit into the LS pumpkin?
Thanks,
Luis

Quick Reply: LS400 ring and pinion compatibility