LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

wiring diagram/back up camera install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 11:40 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring diagram/back up camera install

I'm trying to install an add-on back up camera on my '98 LS, and can't find a wiring diagram. The EBSCO site discussed in the stickies on shop manuals has lots of useful info, including wiring diagrams for the other cars in my fleet, but no LS diagram. While on that subject, does anyone have a favorite wire to tap as a power source under the LH side of the dash that I can use to power the screen for the camera? Fusebox under there look promising, but I don't like tapping wires I can't identify.
Old 02-08-09, 08:15 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

An easy way to pick up power at the fuse box under the dash is by using a piggyback fuse connector -- one brand is called "add-a-circuit". They are made specifically for powering add-on accessories and are available on the internet and at auto parts stores.

Exactly which electrical diagram are you looking for? EBSCO dropped the audio system diagrams for many old vehicles a few months ago -- very disappointing. Are you trying to display the camera image on a 98 LS nav screen?
Attached Thumbnails wiring diagram/back up camera install-piggyback-fuse-connector.jpg  
Old 02-08-09, 12:20 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

I'll try the piggyback. I was looking for a general wiring diagram - dash, lights etc. I don't have nav- this is an aftermarket rig that includes a small wireless camera that mounts on the license plate frame and a small screen that goes on the dash, a/c vent etc. System needs 12v (they give you a lighter plug, but I wanted cleaner- looking hookup) for the screen, and a tap into the backup light circuit (wiring is pretty obvious for that).
Old 02-08-09, 01:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

If you don't want to chop off the lighter plug that came with your camera kit, you could buy a cheap DC extension cord at a discount store and chop the lighter plug off it instead and attach the extension cord's hot wire to the add-a-circuit wire. Then plug your the lighter plug on your camera cord into the extension cable.

That's what I did to hardwire my portable GPS so I wouldn't have to trash the power cord that came with it. I think I paid about $5 for a DC extension cord similar to the one in the attached photo.

I've never found a very good place for a small screen on the dash of my 2000 LS400. Curious, where do you plan to put it? I'm always looking for good ideas.

You may know this but a good route to run wires from the dash to the trunk is under the drivers side door sills. If you pop out the rear seat, you will find an access hole to the trunk high up behind the seat back right next to the rear door -- it will probably be covered with a thin rubber grommet. The access hole is behind the trunk trim -- you will be able to see it if you remove the left side trunk trim.

I was once barely in time to stop an idiot (no offense meant to the idiot community) trailer wiring harness installer who was about to drill through the gas tank behind the rear seat back to run a wire. Argh!
Attached Thumbnails wiring diagram/back up camera install-dc-extension-cord.jpg  
Old 02-09-09, 11:00 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

I don't need to chop the lighter plug- they include an alternate power source wire designed to be hardwired into the power source. As for location, I am going to put the screen on the lower part of the left hand driver's air vent (they give you a mount for this, as well as various other alternatives). Screen itself is only about 2.5 q. inches. A little out of the way, but its in the line of sight, and I'll only be using it when backing up, and it doesn't block any other controls. I didn't want to put it in a more central location on the dash for appearance reasons. I've already got a small XM receiver sticking out of the dash and didn't want any more clutter. Thanks for the tip on running wires; didn't need to do it here, as the transmission from camera to receiver is wireless, but that info will no doubt be useful in the future.

- Dave
'98 LS