LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Change starter or starter' s kits only? needs expert advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 12:21 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change starter or starter' s kits only? needs expert advice!

Hello All... I've been searching the threads and haven't been able to find anything similar to this.. so if this is a well duplicated subject.. I apologize.

sometimes i hit ignition 8 time to get car engine start.
I tried a new battery but didn't fix the problem. I also cleaned the battery terminals etc. Still problem not solved.
So am planning to change the complete starter or starter' s kits only.
My mechanic quoted me a price of $95 for labor work only +
starter kits (contact repair kits & plunger) cost = $31
The usual problem with Toyota starters is with the contacts within the solenoid. The solenoid plunger has a copper ring that connects two copper tabs to drive the starter motor. One tab gets burnt away gradually until the ring won't make solid enough contact to pass the current. If you replace these tabs and clean up the ring on the plunger, the starter will go another 200,000 miles.
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/instructions.html

for those who have faced this problem?
Is the labor work charge is high or its a good price?
400_starter_replacement.pdf
GRAND_LS_4 has changed his ls400 starter, but he did not included detailed pictures so poeple like me can get this done for free.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-ex-98-a.html
Experts ...what is better? To change the complete starter which costs alot of cash!!
My mechanic suggested to change the starter kits only, hes saying that will solve the problem. am afraid that changing the starter kits only will not solve this problem. Any way what you guys suggest!?Please help!!

Last edited by qewani1; 01-29-09 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 12:33 PM
molexGS400
Rookie

the starter for your car is located under the lower intake manifold and $ 95 dollars for labor sounds way to cheap. mitchel online shows 5.1 hours of labor on a 1990.

knowing what i know i would say replace the whole starter. you would not want to replace only the solenoid and have to dig back in soon there after. take caution when chaging not to disrupt the knock sensors or thier harnesses.
Old 01-29-09, 03:03 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, he is in another country, so the premium prices we pay over here may not apply to him.

I would replace the whole damned thing, but if you're trying to save bucks, a rebuild kit will be fine. Just make sure your mechanic dry-tests the starter while the whole thing is torn apart, otherwise, he'll be digging in there again.
Old 01-29-09, 03:09 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sometimes i hit ignition 8 time to get car engine start.
More detail please. Is it turning over or just clicking? What year?

Like molex said, $95 is low, your mechanic doesn't realize where it is. Quick, get a quote in writing and hold them to it!! I just did mine myself in December (kit only) and it's a royal pain to do.

ADDED: I read though some of your other posts, Your in the UAE so $95 may be a good price but verify. You have a 2000 and it's clicking. If the problem is just that it clicks, you may get away with just the kit as I did.

Last edited by AzHotLS; 01-29-09 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 01:23 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

More detail please. Is it turning over or just clicking? What year?
When i turn the key to start , it does not crank , all i hear is a sound of the starter motor "loud click sound" something like TAAk TAAK on eash turn of key to start position, but after few tries it just crank and engine starts. mostly this hapens if the car is left for like 6 hour off.
Last time before 1 month i had solved this by cleaning the battery terminals, so engine was starting from frist click untill few days back.
Sometimes it crank only without engine start, but after pressing the gas pedal and turning the key to start position at same time --->> it crank and engine starts.
My car is LS400 Model 2000.
Yes am from middle east UAE. It sounds like mechanics in USA charge too much for vehicle repairs (thats why most of you guys prefer to DIYs repairs)..If am in USA then how much will they charge me for repair?
i had read in some website that they charge for labor work of starter replacement in LS400 like $560
some websites saying
if you can hear a click when you turn the key, that means the solenoid is working but the starter is not engaging. This problem is probably the starter motor itself.

Last edited by qewani1; 01-30-09 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 06:23 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your starter is dead. Check out this thread, I hope it helps
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-progress.html
Old 01-30-09, 10:41 AM
Vander
Driver

Yeah usually labor rate x5 hours for a starter. $500+
Old 01-30-09, 02:02 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vander
Yeah usually labor rate x5 hours for a starter. $500+
this amount here in UAE = new starter from dealer + replacement in garage, expert mechanic fimiliar with these kind of repairs.
Old 02-11-09, 07:10 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

my mechanic just replaced the contact repair kits & plunger and he fit every thing back in. and tried to start the car, but still same thing...again he digged back in...
The mistake which he made is that he didn't test the starter , he just made a guess that these parts are not doing their job and replacing these parts will solve the problem!

Any way i told him lets replace the whole starter which costs here like 324$ OEM part.

Those mechanic which am dealing with they just depend on their experiance (but their charges are low LOOL) , they are not educated...they don't know anything...any way i hope that replacing the whole starter will solve this problem... wish my luck.
Old 02-11-09, 02:08 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qewani1
my mechanic just replaced the contact repair kits & plunger and he fit every thing back in. and tried to start the car, but still same thing...again he digged back in...
The mistake which he made is that he didn't test the starter , he just made a guess that these parts are not doing their job and replacing these parts will solve the problem!

Any way i told him lets replace the whole starter which costs here like 324$ OEM part.

Those mechanic which am dealing with they just depend on their experiance (but their charges are low LOOL) , they are not educated...they don't know anything...any way i hope that replacing the whole starter will solve this problem... wish my luck.
Told ya so...dry firing the thing will make sure to see if the bearing is shot, which was in my case.

Even I know how to do that, and I am not a mechanic by any means.
Old 04-08-09, 06:59 AM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=molexGS400;4206554]the starter for your car is located under the lower intake manifold and $ 95 dollars for labor sounds way to cheap. mitchel online shows 5.1 hours of labor on a 1990.
QUOTE]
Yes molex is right $95? what your mechanics number because he is gonna give you a hell of a deal. I did it myself last weekend and I know he is not gonna let you slide with $95... its a pain just to get to the starter and then another pain getting it out lol. All my labor quotes were some where between $400-$600 labor (LEXUS was $600).
Old 04-08-09, 07:54 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Calyko22
Yes molex is right $95? what your mechanics number because he is gonna give you a hell of a deal. I did it myself last weekend and I know he is not gonna let you slide with $95... its a pain just to get to the starter and then another pain getting it out lol. All my labor quotes were some where between $400-$600 labor (LEXUS was $600).
For the millionth time, it is because he is located in UAE (United Arab Emirates), so they can charge him only $95. If he was in the US, then hell yes, it would be a deal.
Old 04-08-09, 08:27 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Lexus cars + parts or any japanese cars are more than the ants in UAE. Thats why its cheap.
Old 04-08-09, 04:36 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ when, aren't you lucky/\