LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix powersteering leak on 98-2000 LS400's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 05:35 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
My advice would be to replace the pump with a remanufactured pump, they cost around $150 bucks. I tried rebuilding the pump on my '95 LS, I completely overhauled it with all new seals and bearing, and it still leaked. I decided to swap it out with a reman and its been rock solid for the past 3 yrs, I also put a reman in my '98 LS, once again problem solved. Btw, the leak on my '98 LS killed the alternator so I had to replace that as well. In essence, its an awful lot of work rebuilding it yourself and its still no guarantee you will get it right, it was well worth it to spend a buck fifty on a reman. At least I didn't pay for the labor buy putting it in myself. Good luck.
I recently watched a video of Eric the Car Guy replacing all the seals on a power steering pump. Lots of work and it didn't work. The moral of the story is to just get a rebuilt pump and save yourself some aggravation.

Old 09-30-15, 08:58 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

nice write up, will be using this to replace my PS pump.
Old 02-03-16, 09:41 PM
gngai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard people have made plastic alternator shields. Anyone know of a DIY or how to do it? Like to put this in place while I'm troubleshooting. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 02-23-16, 08:56 PM
gngai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
My advice would be to replace the pump with a remanufactured pump, they cost around $150 bucks. I tried rebuilding the pump on my '95 LS, I completely overhauled it with all new seals and bearing, and it still leaked. I decided to swap it out with a reman and its been rock solid for the past 3 yrs, I also put a reman in my '98 LS, once again problem solved. Btw, the leak on my '98 LS killed the alternator so I had to replace that as well. In essence, its an awful lot of work rebuilding it yourself and its still no guarantee you will get it right, it was well worth it to spend a buck fifty on a reman. At least I didn't pay for the labor buy putting it in myself. Good luck.

Hi. What reman ps pump did you buy and from where? Thanks.
Old 08-29-16, 06:35 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Reviving the old thread. I just received 1998 LS400 that needs some fixing and power steering pump is one of them.
I keep going back and forth between:

1. Buying remanufactured/rebuilt pump
2. Buying new OEM
3. Rebuiding existing pump

Most of the posters, other than replacing with new OEM pump, seems to experience one leak or another in a very short time.
I'm really interested in just replacing O-rings, if this does really work.
Anyone can share their experience?

If you went to remanufactured/rebuilt pump, which brand did you go with? Majority of the posters experienced issues after install.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-16, 09:16 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the following from rock auto, $114 at the time and no issues after 1 year so far. Just be sure to replace any leaky o-rings (resevoir) or brittle/leaky lines while you're at it. I suspect most of my leaks were from fittings/hoses and not so much the pump itself. Plugged the IAC with a bolt from home depot and removed the two vac lines while I was at it.
ACDELCO 36P0454
Old 08-29-16, 10:04 AM
TakaM
Driver

Thanks djamps.

My major leak is definitely coming from the power steering pump (the split as OP described).
This is not to say other parts are not leaking since it is a 98 with original hoses.
I did do the IAC/vacuum line plug which didn't stop the leak, since as noted above, leak is coming from the steering pump split.

I do want to save cost since this is a beater for my son but at the same time, I only want to do the repair work once.
I also trying to understand why the OEM high pressure hose is so expensive ($400+) while the aftermarket is less than $60. This is pretty big gap even for OEM vs aftermarket, hence, bit hesitant to do any replacement (is the new $60 aftermarket part better than very old and used $400+ OEM part?)
Old 08-29-16, 10:45 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Fortunately I did not have to replace any high pressure hoses -- only the low pressure lines and o rings were replaced on or around the pump. The originals were rock hard and unable to form a proper seal. I did use a new u-shaped crush washer for the high pressure side on the pump.
Old 08-29-16, 09:26 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks djamps.

My major leak is definitely coming from the power steering pump (the split as OP described).
This is not to say other parts are not leaking since it is a 98 with original hoses.
I did do the IAC/vacuum line plug which didn't stop the leak, since as noted above, leak is coming from the steering pump split.

I do want to save cost since this is a beater for my son but at the same time, I only want to do the repair work once.
I also trying to understand why the OEM high pressure hose is so expensive ($400+) while the aftermarket is less than $60. This is pretty big gap even for OEM vs aftermarket, hence, bit hesitant to do any replacement (is the new $60 aftermarket part better than very old and used $400+ OEM part?)
To the array...countless threads on problematic rebuilt aftermarket power steering pumps....

The problem is you don't know whether the replacement pump has gone through an entire rebuild with OEM parts or not. The wear components may be barely within tolerance and thus are not replaced...

What is the cost of a ruined alternator, a tow or an accident due to steering failure??

Steering components are for safety.

Why would anyone risk applying a new part to a device requiring a proper rebuild??

The Lexus Shop Manual prescribes this step-by-step process...

It is almost guaranteed the rebuilders are not doing alll of this.Stay with new OEM here...
Old 08-29-16, 10:02 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an aftermarket high pressure hose, no issues yet. I do think when my ps pump went it did take out my alternator because I am having issues with that too, I think anyways. I know it can't be the battery just dying after a month, lol. I haven't driven it lately due to a flat and getting things fabbed for it, so it hasn't bothered me any. But I know when I get back into it, it will bug the **** out of me...
Old 08-30-16, 10:50 AM
TakaM
Driver

Thanks for all of your inputs. I went ahead and ordered the Lexus O-rings which totaled to less than $20. I figured the total costs for the parts/ATF being about $35, it's worth a shot. I also know that if this doesn't work, I had to do labor twice but I'm willing. I know I'm going against my car mechanic idol, "Eric the Car Guy", but I have to try to see if this will solve the issue for next couple of years. I'll post back when things are done.
Old 09-05-16, 10:45 AM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks for all of your inputs. I went ahead and ordered the Lexus O-rings which totaled to less than $20. I figured the total costs for the parts/ATF being about $35, it's worth a shot. I also know that if this doesn't work, I had to do labor twice but I'm willing. I know I'm going against my car mechanic idol, "Eric the Car Guy", but I have to try to see if this will solve the issue for next couple of years. I'll post back when things are done.
Taka good luck on your rebuild, as I'd mentioned on my previous post I did the rebuild and had problems with leaks probably from the new o-rings, and I put a bolt in to block off the vacuum port and it still leaked from the bolt, it was a lot of work and you had to be extra careful about screwing things up. Removing the bearing was not an easy job either, so I replaced it with a reman from Oreillys and its been working fine. Remans on a 95 and 98 LS, 3 yrs later no issues. However, Yoda has a good point about replacing it with a OEM unit if you don't mind spending the money, I thought I would take a chance on the remans first, make sure you remove and clean the reservoir, the screen inside it can clog up and cause major ps fluid overflow which can ultimately run your pump dry, then you're back to square one. Btw, I wouldn't plug the vacuum port if the valve is working fine. Good luck.
Old 09-06-16, 03:58 PM
TakaM
Driver

Thanks LS400 FAN.

Took advantage of the long weekend and tackled the project.
Few things I learned:

1. After almost 19 years on the road, all rubber and plastic parts will break if you just look at them. Had to replace several rubber hoses and "McGyver" some plastic parts connected to the vacuum hose.
2. Snap ring is not your friend when the tip where you insert your snap ring plier breaks off. I was lucky to bend it out using a tiny screwdriver using the other tip/hole.
3. Easiest looking thing took the most time - most of my time was spent cleaning the engine, cleaning the parts, etc.
4. Someday, I need to invest in a vise and a workbench. It was very difficult to unscrew the four bolts on the back of the power steering pump without it.
5. Two of the three O-rings were dried and flat, just "cracked" when I tried to pry it out using the screw driver, as OP has described. No wonder this power steering pump was leaking.

Even with some difficulties, all went well at the end. It did stop the leak from the power steering pump (far as I can tell) and the car is drivable again. My sincere thanks to all those replied and OP as I could not have done without all the valuable inputs.

Next project, valve cover gaskets.

Last edited by TakaM; 09-06-16 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 06:07 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I need to do this soon. I've had the rebuild kit for 2 years. Just did not feel like going back in there after the timing belt, cam seals and then starter jobs.
Old 09-07-16, 01:54 AM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

I was fixing some other common LS "issues" when I decided to plug my ACV. Seemed easy enough, I crawled under the night before to get a worms eye view, and developed a plan. I found a 14 x 1.5 thread bolt at my local Ace hardware. Cut it to length and dressed the threads. My plan involved a myriad of tools working both from above and below. Everything was going ok until I had to remove the reservoir to facilitate access to the pump. When pulling up on the reservoir the larger FEED hose split like a waffle cone. Granted I live in Arizona where summer temps occasionally exceed 115 degrees and the car has 193XXX miles but WOW this thing frayed apart like old cardboard!

Quick Reply: How to fix powersteering leak on 98-2000 LS400's