LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix powersteering leak on 98-2000 LS400's

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 01:41 PM
Wakko47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll check that when the pump is out.
Old 01-29-13, 10:06 AM
Wakko47
Driver School Candidate

What did you guys use to replace the two hoses going from the reservoir to the pump itself? Mine were rock hard and Lexus said they were $80 and $190 each respectively!

Also, my local stealership doesn't have the O-rings, what's the preferred online vendor around here?
Old 01-29-13, 01:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I just took my pump to my local parts shop and sized up some new hoses and clamps.

sewell lexus and carson toyota are the preferred OEM parts suppliers.
Old 02-01-13, 12:12 PM
Wakko47
Driver School Candidate

Carson wanted $14 shipping on three orings...that's crazy. I'll let my local order them for OEM price of $3.45 each.

On those hoses, did you get heater hose?
Old 05-13-13, 09:41 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just did the 3 orings. snap ring head broke so it took a few mins to get out.
Old 03-13-14, 02:03 PM
jollyczar
Driver School Candidate

I just got my PS pump out per this post and have it on my bench. I am in desperate need for advice on how to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the 2 halves together. I feel like an idiot and am considering using a vice but I don't want to risk breaking something. Any ideas?
Old 03-13-14, 06:06 PM
jollyczar
Driver School Candidate

Ok, disregard. I'm an idiot. Problem solved.
Old 03-16-14, 03:13 PM
andrewmac
Driver School Candidate

The reservoir hose (large one that goes from the reservoir to the pump) cracked and leaked all the fluid out of the reservoir. I went to O'Reilly's and got a generic Gates hose and cut it to length and replaced it. Topped off the fluid and started the car. Sounded like it was dying! The fluid would froth up and become very foamy and the pump would squeal and moan as the engine ran.

Yesterday I pulled the power steering pump out and replaced the 3 o-rings I also removed the ACV and plugged it with a oil pan drain bolt. Also capped the vacuum lines that lead to the ACV.

I put it all back in the car and wanted to flush the air out the system. I connected a garden hose to the power steering pump (where the reservoir hose connects to) and I plugged the reservoir. I filled up the reservoir and started the engine.

Nothing came out the garden hose! Turned the steering full lock one way and full lock the other way and still nothing. I did hear and feel air being pushed out the garden hose though. The steering was extremely smooth (car was jacked up), everything was quiet and nice, except I wasn't able to flush the system.

I thought it might need some sort of vacuum to get the fluid through the system so I put everything back together and hoped just to run it normally like it says in this tutorial.

Same thing happened as before the repairs. Pump sounded like a wailing banshee and the fluid all frothed and foamed up just exactly the same as it was before I started this rebuild.

Do you think when the hose broke a piece got sucked in and blocked something? Should I try create a vacuum on the return/reservoir hose to suck the fluid back through the pump?

Can anyone help?!

Thank you.
Old 03-16-14, 05:46 PM
andrewmac
Driver School Candidate

Power steering is purring like a kitten!

I tried to hook up a wet vac to the return/reservoir line and suck the fluid thru, but I had no luck. I then saw 'Largefarva" had posted a thread about how he fixed his with compressed air.

So I blew compressed air reversely through the system (since I had the garden hose attached already) until it burped up through the reservoir. I then tried the flush and I made it worse! Just squirted out the reservoir! EVERYWHERE!

So I blew air reversely again and then tried sucking it back with the wet vac. Not much luck. Did this a few more times with the same eruption result.

I then took off the serpentine belt and spun the pump manually and blew air from the reservoir though the system and out the reservoir return pump. Finally fluid came out! I was a little too eager and as soon as some fluid came out I hooked everything back up and it erupted out the reservoir

I then re did the purge from the reservoir back and flushed the system manually like this without starting the engine. I kept topping off the reservoir and blowing it out the system. Once I had a nice steady flow I hooked it all back up.

Started it and it whined a little less. It was a little less foamy when I checked it and the fluid went down. Kept starting it up and shutting it down, then starting it up right lock left lock the steering and finally it stopped whining!

I'll keep an eye out for leaks over the next few days but now I have to clean up all the ATF in the engine bay and all over the in-laws driveway!
Old 03-18-14, 11:06 AM
jollyczar
Driver School Candidate

"I put it all back in the car and wanted to flush the air out the system. I connected a garden hose to the power steering pump (where the reservoir hose connects to) and I plugged the reservoir. I filled up the reservoir and started the engine."

It sounds like you put the garden hose in the wrong place. The fluid should go from the reservoir to the pump where it's forced under pressure out to the rack where it makes it's way back to the reservoir. It leaves the reservoir in the big hose and returns through the small one. Correct me if I'm wrong, I would flush the system by diverting the small hose from the small inlet on the bottom of the reservoir into a bucket, plug that small inlet and run it while keeping the reservoir topped off.
Old 03-26-14, 06:18 AM
kayuwong
Rookie

Good idea to back flush the reservoir while it is out, use brake cleaner to flush out the grime inside of it, there is a video in YouTube for tacoma power steering reservoir. Look like the same for ls400. Personally I would use some high mileage trans fluid instead regular Mercon, kinda help all old seal to soften up.
Old 03-20-15, 05:19 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Thanks Zero_One for the great write up on this, my pumps coming off this weekend.
Old 03-29-15, 11:34 AM
selkirk
Rookie

Just FYI, Toyota says to replace the gasket between the pump and high pressure line anytime it's disconnected. Part number appears to be 44327-30030.

Toyota doesn't include it in the kit used to rebuild the PS pump, unfortunately.
Old 08-31-15, 11:02 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

So replacing only these 3 O rings will solve the PS pump leak on 2000 LS400 ?
Old 09-09-15, 05:22 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by qewani1
So replacing only these 3 O rings will solve the PS pump leak on 2000 LS400 ?
My advice would be to replace the pump with a remanufactured pump, they cost around $150 bucks. I tried rebuilding the pump on my '95 LS, I completely overhauled it with all new seals and bearing, and it still leaked. I decided to swap it out with a reman and its been rock solid for the past 3 yrs, I also put a reman in my '98 LS, once again problem solved. Btw, the leak on my '98 LS killed the alternator so I had to replace that as well. In essence, its an awful lot of work rebuilding it yourself and its still no guarantee you will get it right, it was well worth it to spend a buck fifty on a reman. At least I didn't pay for the labor buy putting it in myself. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How to fix powersteering leak on 98-2000 LS400's