LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 06:47 AM
hirbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I tried to fix this myself. Was able to solder things fine. However when I soldered c212 I didn't put it in an angle and when I tried to put the cover back on it seems I ripped the cap and the contacts out, as you can see in the picture. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this giant f*#@ up.
I am going to the junkyard this weekend and hope I can find a 93/94 with the cluster still in it.
Old 02-22-17, 08:04 PM
Henney01
Driver School Candidate

I believe I have the same problem, however , mine does it when its cold or warm. The whole guage cluster flickers on and off sometimes when i hit a bump, they will come on and then go off again. Last night i had to drive it and the cluster didn't light up at all. I've read the sticky's on this problem but very unaware of what to do first. I know how to solider and desolider,things like that, but I have no earthly idea of what I'm looking for.. Should it be something as easy as a loose connector?
Old 02-22-17, 09:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by hirbo
So I tried to fix this myself. Was able to solder things fine. However when I soldered c212 I didn't put it in an angle and when I tried to put the cover back on it seems I ripped the cap and the contacts out, as you can see in the picture. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this giant f*#@ up.
I am going to the junkyard this weekend and hope I can find a 93/94 with the cluster still in it.
Presume you need 1993 LS400 cluster?

PM if you wish to discuss one I have...
Old 03-15-17, 09:01 AM
j9fab
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i recently bought a 1993 ls400 that had been sitting a long time [8years]. the caps in the ECU where bad, causing it to not shift. with the caps in the ECU the car runs great and tranny shifts like it should. the cluster is partially working. the needles light up correctly, indicators all seem to work.

i changed out 3 caps [c212 c147 c142] so far, but have not fixed any of problems i am experiencing with the gauges...

this is what does not work/issues:
fuel gauge is at empty, light is on
speedometer is not working [and O/D flashes codes says Vehicle speed sensor 1]
backlighting is not working [ cannot see numbers]

which caps would you folks suggest i change out next? if i could see numbers that would be great

i also wanted to say thanks for all the information in these threads! if anyone needs help in tucson,az i am glad to help.
Old 04-02-17, 10:29 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

I visited Tanin Electronix (they spell it with an x) and delivered an instrument cluster for basic repair..along with cores they expressed interest in purchasing...

I have a background in electonic components and materials; Automtive instrument cluster OEM's Stewart -Warner, Motorola, Littelfuse (fuses), Autometer, were but a few of accounts I serviced.

I am contemplating a write up of my experience with Tanin, however thus far the experience has been unfavorable;

1.) Their advertising turn around time (1-3 days) is inaccurate and almost 2 weeks now do not have an answer.

2.) They have not kept their word to call me neccesitating I call them to follow-up on status.and can never seem to pin them down on a delivery date

3.) I was informed they are backlogged and short personnel and that yet the owner remains "out of town"

4.).I had to request a receipt listing the cores I delivered.

When I have a customer that requires attention I am 24/7...in fact I had two ECU's that the owner's needed the next day and was up until 3 AM to keep my word. (As a favor)

As an aside...I am looking to place my Negative grounding cable design wirh a distributor using Parts from Quick Cable who is 10 minutes drive from Tanin...

I posited to Tanin they could offer this, but instead no one there coukd be bothered to either see me or provide courtesy follow-up to understand the opportunity.

Right now I cannot recommend anyone to Tanin.

In fact am seeking alternates....

Anyone with recommendations?
Old 01-27-18, 08:53 PM
uncleClark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j9fab
i recently bought a 1993 ls400 that had been sitting a long time [8years]. the caps in the ECU where bad, causing it to not shift. with the caps in the ECU the car runs great and tranny shifts like it should. the cluster is partially working. the needles light up correctly, indicators all seem to work.

i changed out 3 caps [c212 c147 c142] so far, but have not fixed any of problems i am experiencing with the gauges...

which caps would you folks suggest i change out next? if i could see numbers that would be great

i also wanted to say thanks for all the information in these threads! if anyone needs help in tucson,az i am glad to help.

I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd check to see if you ever got an answer. I have the same issue, 1994 LS400, same symptoms, also replaced c212, c147, c142, but symptoms persist. Any help you can give would be useful. Thanks!
Old 01-29-18, 11:40 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by uncleClark
I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd check to see if you ever got an answer. I have the same issue, 1994 LS400, same symptoms, also replaced c212, c147, c142, but symptoms persist. Any help you can give would be useful. Thanks!
Send it in. We will have it diagnosed within 1-3 days.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1...ter_repair.htm
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 07-12-18, 02:05 PM
Gazeebo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j9fab

Im having the same issue with the speed sensor, I don't know if fixing ALL the caps will fix it or if the issue is between the speed sensor and the actual cluster.
Old 07-12-18, 06:29 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Clusters at LKQ pickaPart are 25-35 dollars and extended warranty only 10-15 dollars. I bet most other places must be close.
Old 07-12-18, 09:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mlevk
If something flickers , but still works
I usually assume that something is loose.
I'd look for a connector problem/power source
before dropping $1K.

A electrical diagram would help alot, of course.
That all I can advise.
Or heat issue for a component. And electrolytic cap. issues. Often careful visual inspection can catch the source of the problem.
As long as the board does not contain any ASIC, it may be repairable by experienced electronics tech.