LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

afm/maf

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 11:12 AM
Dereke
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default afm/maf

whatever you decide to call it, what do i do to make them stop breaking? i dont want to spend a billion dollars on a lexus new part if its going to go out again. is there a better one that i can use off a different model?
Old 12-17-08, 11:19 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does your MAF keep breaking? Something is not right. We need more background information.
Old 12-17-08, 11:27 AM
Dereke
Rookie

i first got my car and it ran great then after a few months it started to run like ****. replaced the maf with a junk yard unit and it ran great then this maf went out too. seems to be common problem and i am just looking for an end all fix.
Old 12-17-08, 06:13 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

what kind of air filter do you have? Is it one requiring oil?
Old 12-17-08, 06:18 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

apparenty the oil on K&N filters can mess up the wire on the MAF. ive been running mine for 1yr + and no problems. also cleaning with a MAF cleaner can mess it up also. maybe the one u bought from the junkyard was dying also?
Old 12-18-08, 05:50 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

u can spray this on ur maf to get the k and n oily residue off
http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1...te=google_base
Old 12-18-08, 05:58 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't count on it Python.

Do any other Toyota models use a Karmann Vortex meter like the 1st gen LS models?
Old 12-18-08, 06:55 AM
python
Lexus Champion

whats that got to do with it? i used it on mine to clean it
Old 12-18-08, 10:14 AM
Dereke
Rookie

i got some carb cleaner and chased the intake looking for poss vac leaks with nothing so i took the maf out of the housing being careful to not touch anything on the air tract side and hosed it off with "maf" cleaner. let it dry for about 30-45 min and reinstalled. reset the ecu too. first drive out it was great for about 200 feet then it cut out, worse than ever before, like the engine completely died. been doing that ever since so i just unplugged it. runs much better and more smooth but im probably only getting 5mpg. any good replacements or am i going to have to fight this thing my entire ownership?

i do have an injen intake setup and am currently looking for a stocker. intake was installed by prev owner. didnt even know it had it for a month or so after i got the car.

i love the car but i wish it would just work right and have that reliability that toyota is known for. just make the engine light go away damnit. its seared into my retinas

and i really think there should be an end all sticky at the top. i am always searching on how to fix my stumble and maf. there are tons of threads on the subject but no real clear fix

Last edited by Dereke; 12-18-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 11:14 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That same product lead to the death of my AFM so I would be careful.
Old 12-18-08, 12:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, most people who have used carb or MAF cleaners have killed their MAF sensors.
Old 12-18-08, 01:29 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yeah, most people who have used carb or MAF cleaners have killed their MAF sensors.

agreed.

I hate to say it, but you might have ruined that MAF also by trying to clean it. I also know you said you were hunting for one, but take that aftermarket air cleaner off and toss it. I have seen several people ruin their MAF by having too much oil on their K&N. Put a OEM intake on and a new MAF. Also, i don't have a FSM but i would do the electrical tests for the MAF circuit to make sure it is sending correct voltage.
Old 12-18-08, 04:15 PM
python
Lexus Champion

look at my post....thats what is to be used to clen ur maf sensor
Old 12-18-08, 04:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by python
look at my post....thats what is to be used to clen ur maf sensor
look at the posts of numerous members who ruined their MAFs by using sprays made for Carbs and EVEN those specially made for MAF/AFM sensors. the Lexus MAF is extremely sensitive to contaminants, which is also why those who overoil/don't sufficiently dry their oil'ed air filters also tend to kill their MAF sensors.
Old 12-18-08, 05:36 PM
python
Lexus Champion

what i posted is not a carb cleaner,as a matter of fact i am at work right now,i have the product in my hand as we speak...nowhere on this label does it say anything about not using it on LEXUS maf sensors,in fact it says it is safe for all maf sensors....
turn off vehicle,do not apply while energized,unplug sensor,remove sensor housing,apply 10-15 sprays onto hot wires or hot plate,do not contact hot wires with straw or any other object....now read that and tell me where the problem lies? with the product or the person doing the work? this would not even be on the shelf if it ruined the sensors, we sell this tuff to auto shops all day...sometimes i dont know why i bother trying to help out...

Quick Reply: afm/maf