LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Battery Light On, Radio Turned Off, Battery light off and radio back on...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 02:01 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light On, Radio Turned Off, Battery light off and radio back on...

Hello.. ok I need some insight into an issue which occurred 2 days ago when I was driving on the highway.

I was driving on a rainy day in a 1995 LS400. I had the Window Wipers, The IPOD Car Charger, The Tape Cassette / Radio, The Rear Window Defroster, The Headlights and the front air conditioning turned on.

I had been driving for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden the Tape Cassette Player turned off, then back on then off and then on then off.. At this point it stayed off. I kept trying to turn the power on or the FM etc but it would not turn on.

I looked at my dashboard and I noticed that the "D" (Icon for Drive) was difficult to read, the lights were too bright. I then turned the **** to dim the dashboard lights. After that, I turned it clockwise again to brighten them, AT THIS POINT THE RADIO TURNED BACK ON.

The battery light then flashed on for about 1 second maximum and then dissapeared.

I kept driving, no other problems ALTHOUGH I did end up turning off the A/C and Radio and Headlights.

Hmmm.. any insight please?

Then I went to check under the hood and the hood latch broke so I cannot open it.

I take very good care of my car... please help if you are able.

I drove to work this morning with no problems and I used the headlights, radio and air.

Thank you!
Old 12-01-08, 02:09 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I had some of the symptoms you described in my 1GS 3 years ago. The radio was on and it shut off, then the battery light displayed in the instrument cluster. I turned off the headlights and stereo to reduce electrical load until I was out of stop and go traffic. The cause was a bad cell in the battery. I had the alternator tested and it was fine. I replaced the battery and have not had any issues since.

Start by testing the battery and go from there.
Old 12-02-08, 08:14 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed. Test the battery and the alternator. I usually see that symptom and it's because the alternator is not providing enough charge, so the car is sucking the life out of the battery.
Old 12-03-08, 08:24 AM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies... I have been driving for 4 days without a problem although I dimmed my dashboard lights, try not using the headlights and haven't charged the Ipod up through the cigarette lighter.

I will be getting the battery / alternator tested hopefully this weekend and have to go from there.
Old 12-03-08, 09:57 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I drove mine for 4 months after the battery light / stereo cut out incident, but when the battery failed, it failed completely. The steering wheel motored down slowly and, when I turned the key to start, all it did was dim the interior lights. If you have a Sears nearby, they'll test the battery for free.