LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Possible bent hub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 07:09 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent hub?

Hey guys. I need some input. I have been beating my head against the wall for two days now. Let me start at the beginning-

3 months ago: The 94 LS had a mean "sway" in the rear end under braking and when the road was not completely level. So, I jacked it took the wheels off, and presto the rear trailing arm bushings were shot (Something that the local Lexus and an Independent shop missed during inspections). Ordered up the Daizen replacements, installed them and the "sway" went away immediately! However, the next week I start to get a combination of 2 different sounds. 1) sound like the rotor was smacking the dust shield and 2) a "popping" sound like when you leave your park brake on and then release it while under motion. So, back in the air she goes- Found the rotor was shot and that the LH REAR Caliper slide bots were sticking. Replaced the rotor and disassembled the caliper, tied to get as much of the old grease and debris that was in there. Put her back together and down the road to happiness I went.

3 days ago: The "popping" noise is back with a vengence! It will make the sound ONLY under a LEFT turn, or from a dead stop. Basically when all the weight has been transfered to the left side or rear of the car. I have had several different people in the rear of the vehicle listening. It is only on the LH side of the car. The noise will go away at certain times- under light acceleration, or a soft corner. There is a "slight" vibration at highway speeds 60-75 MPH and it goes away under braking. It has not happened in reverse once (well not that I have taken my car 60MPH in reverse) neither backing into the garage or backing down the street.
Took the 3 month old rotor into parts store, put it on the lathe, found it was a little out of "true". So they turned it, and I got new Caliper hardware kit (as I found out one of the slide bolts was twisted). Installed the rotor and new hardware. and NOTHING-......... Then after about 30 miles of driving. Here I sit scratching my head-

Things I know:
The piston on the caliper will slide like it supposed to
The slide bolts are working like they are supposed to
The rotor was new fell out of true and then turned true again
The bushings are intact (at least all that I can see)
All bolts and nuts on suspension, control arms, knuckle are tight!
Suspension seems fine

It can only be one of a few things:
Hub?
Axle (Praying to God, it's not!!)
Knuckle got bent? When the lower bushings went out (where the trailing arm meets the knuckle)

Thanks for any help
Old 11-24-08, 09:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dead wheel bearing? check rear carrier bushings?
Old 11-25-08, 07:34 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it does souns like a wheel bearing to me. put a dial indicator on it and check if it has any play in it Max play is .002. I have one I am changing now. It had good clearance but I could hear a ticking sound when I turned it so I have one on the way. I was doing the brakes and control arm bushing anyway.