LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

tick tick goes the 4.0 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 10:16 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation tick tick goes the 4.0 ?

i have a 92 ls400 and it started making a ticking noise in the engine area. Its really aggrevating and I would appreciate it if someone gave me a lil help on making it stop. I think that it might be a lifter. does anyone know if there is an additive that i can put in with my oil change that would make it stop?
Old 10-25-08, 06:10 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

the lifters are adjustable....u can try marvel mystery oil...its the only thing that will help
Old 10-25-08, 07:26 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Python - can you elaborate on this?

Mine is doing the same thing, and I was told to throw some 0w 20 in there for a good 3000 miles.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-08, 08:21 AM
python
Lexus Champion

marvel mystery oil is what we sell to all the shops when a lifter problem occurs, i dont think this will help on these cars simply because they are adjustable
Old 10-25-08, 10:15 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tick but only under acceleration. It really bugs me. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-08, 10:32 AM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the oil is near the end of its lifespan, changing it could make it quieter. Otherwise you're going to need to reshim the valves or live with it.
Old 10-25-08, 10:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

reshimming the valves or lifters?
Old 10-25-08, 11:02 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into getting my valves adjusted, but......

with a ~$600 price tag I found better arenas for my money lol
Old 10-25-08, 10:00 PM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

I'll be testing the 0w 20 that my mechanic suggested and see if that quietens things down.

I'll let you guys know...should be in the next week or so.
Old 10-26-08, 08:28 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Default Cool thanks!!!

Thanks for all the info on this subject. i will try some of your sugesstions. And if anyoone can or should here of something else then please let me know.
Old 10-26-08, 10:56 PM
Blue1991
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my 91. All the mechanics I have gone to have said that it is just the injectors ticking and that it isn't a problem.
Old 10-26-08, 11:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

its a well known annoyance.

the only real "cure" is to have the valves reshimmed, not cheap for labor.
Old 11-14-09, 11:16 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
its a well known annoyance.

the only real "cure" is to have the valves reshimmed, not cheap for labor.
And valve adjustment is not a cure-all for all ticking sounds. I have certifiably small clearances on every valve in the engine, but there is a nasty tickticktick on the left rear intake side, those particular valves are at .006".

I wonder about guide issues, lifter bore issues, lubrication issues though the pockets are nice and full of oil under each lobe . . . many different models of Lexus have had this clattering.
Colin
Old 11-15-09, 04:51 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see someone has been archive diving. LOL!!! The 1UZ motor has been notorious for having the valve tick and the only "true" solution to the fix was the valve adjustment. For such a car which was HIGHLY overengineered, for it's time, you had to wonder sometimes what the engineers were thinking when they built some of the components of this motor. The adjustments are not cheap, laborwise, and if you decide to live with it the ticking is not hurting anything; just annoying.
Old 02-10-11, 04:26 AM
zukikat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
And valve adjustment is not a cure-all for all ticking sounds. I have certifiably small clearances on every valve in the engine, but there is a nasty tickticktick on the left rear intake side, those particular valves are at .006".

I wonder about guide issues, lifter bore issues, lubrication issues though the pockets are nice and full of oil under each lobe . . . many different models of Lexus have had this clattering.
Colin
I know this is an ooooold thread BUT...
I bought a 1994 LS400 about 1.5 weeks ago in running/driving condition but in need of a timing belt service interval (according to the odometer) and some other repair work and the first time I test drove the car I heard this considerable clack, clack, clack as I gently accelerated at any speed and at idle coming from the driver's side of the engine back towards the firewall it reminded me of the "tick, tick, tick" of my mom's old high mileage 1977 Econoline V8 van when I was a kid, but the second day I test drove it I didn't notice it when driving at all and barely detected anything at idle so I decided it was probably just a valve or two in need of a new shim and moved on to other issues before deciding to buy the car...

The odometer said 184k miles when I bought the car but the gauge cluster lighting was flaky so when I first got the car home I dove into that project, only to discover that the gauge cluster is tagged from a junkyard so I have no idea how many miles this car and engine actually have on 'em or if the engine is even original to the car although it appears to be mechanically sound and there are no signs of neglect or sludge anywhere in the tops of the heads at all. After replacing 3 capacitors all of my car's dash/interior lighting and fuel gauge problems are now solved, btw...

Days later we did a timimg belt and water pump and spark plugs and distributor caps/rotors and such that go with those jobs and also checked the compression and valve clearances and installed new valve cover gaskets while we were reassembling everything...

It turns out that the compression is excellent across the board and ALL 32 of the valves were already completely IN-SPEC, the car runs extremely smooth even at idle, and yet coming from the left bank towards the two rear cylinders there is this mild clack, clack, clack that's not coming from the whole engine bay like injector ticks would be and it's not like a banging or knocking from what I can tell but it's enough to make me cringe as it gets pretty damn loud while under load even when I ease into the gas pedal when the engine's cold and sometimes it goes away within the first couple of minutes of driving and other times it'll remain for quite a bit longer before it seems to go away. Wind noise over 45mph drowns it out but when I'm cruising below 40mph I can usually notice it the whole time I'm driving.
Everyone tells me "ignore it 'till it breaks" but I'd hate to have something bad happen as a result of this noise when it could be prevented by fixing the cause.

Any thoughts as to the cause of the tick other than valve shims and injector pulses?

I'm beginning to wonder about a possibly cracked/broken EGR assembly and/or exhaust manifold leak that closes up when it heats up and expands but I'm only guessing...

Quick Reply: tick tick goes the 4.0 ?