LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Let me introduce myself properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 07:16 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let me introduce myself properly

Hi my name is Maxime and I'm a Toyotahoolic. I'm 23 and I'm studying mechanical engineering at ETS University in Montreal, Quebec.

Currently I live at my father's place and we own 3 car each 3 Lexus and 3 Toyota's.

Mine first:

Garage queen and street/week-end racer project: 1985 Celica with only 80k mile on the clock. Pretty well maintained, but lots of aftermarket performance part under there.

Then good ol' trusty: 1990 Pick-up, 190 000 miles on the clock and pretty much all stock beside wheels and LSD. It was originaly Carbed, but I converted it to EFI using a 1985 Celica head, harness, ECU and EFI. Don't get foolled by the picture I didn't washed it in the last two years and there's a lot of rust. In automotive word it's a daily driver, but mostly a winter beater

Then here's my lattest aquisition: that nice LS400 I got for really cheap (1200 FIY) from a friend. It's a 1991 with 200 k miles on, but still drives ok. There's a lot of broken stuff and the interior, trunk and paint is pretty trashed more then pics show.

Then here's what my fathers own:

Garage queen: 1988 Supra Targa Turbo with 70k miles. Fully loaded and in really really great condition. Mods are boost controler, Cometic MHG, ARP stud and MKIV 16 inch wheels.

Then father's latest aquisition: 2002 AWD RX300 with 90k miles. It's the Luxury Edition and it's fully loaded. It drives nice, but it's not realy our kind of
car. My father got a deal on it froma friend and could not resist. We'll see how it does in the snow.

And last but not least: 1991 LS400 with 140 k miles still drives really nice and looks good. We are selling it due to the lack of space in the driveway. Don't worry I don't expect any of you to buy it. It's a shame we have to get rid of it because it's such a good car, in two year and a half we didn't had any big broplem at all except few minor thing here and there (brake pads and rotor and an alternator). We made a try onces to fit the Supra wheels on. They make the car look 300% better then the sawblades or OE wheels.

Last edited by rwdfreak; 10-01-08 at 08:12 PM. Reason: check your pm
Old 10-01-08, 07:45 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

good luck.
Old 10-02-08, 09:24 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forums. And good luck as well.
Old 11-25-08, 07:43 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Were some updates for those who might be interested.

I don't know how you guys can work on those LS400. Space is tight and access is sometimes acrobatic. Harness is a freaking nightmare and there's tons of relay box and electronic stuff. No wonder this thing is heavy. However I was amazed how good the metal was in the car. 99% of the bolts when off like new even thought this car has when throught 17 cold winter. I manage to hurth my hands and head pretty badly on various parts.

First observation Lexus engine bay is a lot tighter than a Celica engine bay and if you remove all accesory the engine is pretty compact. I took everything I could to be sure I will have all parts and connectors when time will come. I now have a complete hardware store of bolts and miscelanious clips for my own use. I learned a lot of stuff dismantling this LS and I hope I'll be able to help some of you guys with my little experience. The engine mount had fusionned with the aluminum crossmember and the transmission was a pain to remove from the engine.

I'm starting to regret that I've put so much money on my truck. If I had bought my father's LS400 last year I would have a good daily driver with a 1UZ. Now that I know how good Lexus are built(espacialy the LS) I will probalby consider one for my next daily driver.

Cheer

Max
Old 11-25-08, 07:57 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u should get some headers for it now since the motor is out of the car.
Old 11-28-08, 08:22 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the choice to custom make the driver side anyway to fit the steering box configuration. Steering shaft want to share #4 cylinder exhaust area. I plan to do it myself in steel, but might pay someone after to copy mine in stainless and TIG once the design will be good.

Unfortunatly there's no easy way of putting a dual exhaust setup since the fuel tank is tossed on the right side under the rear cargo space. I'm thinking of a 4 to 1 2.5inch header then the 2 cats, then merging the two lines to a 3inch tubing. Since emission isn't an issues I will only use two cat and a rear muffler I hope O2 sensor won't be messed up because of that. It won't be as nice, but it will make it more sleeper.

Thanks for the comments. I will probably ask question when I'll go furter into the swap and engine restoration/wiring.
Old 11-28-08, 08:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome.

Like the Celica...I've pondered the 22R EFI in my '80 but I'm undecided what to do with the car.

That the original 7M-GTE motor? I don't see many since the head gasket/torque issues. I wanted one of those.
Old 11-29-08, 08:40 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome.

Like the Celica...I've pondered the 22R EFI in my '80 but I'm undecided what to do with the car.

That the original 7M-GTE motor? I don't see many since the head gasket/torque issues. I wanted one of those.
Nice to see I'm not the only one that like both world: Prestige and strong cruiser Lexus's and vintage Celica's.

Have any pictures of that RA40? You could always trow a 1UZ in there. lol

The 7M-GTE is the original motor, but we decided to change the head gasket and bolt for MHG and ARP for further modifications. It was still holding fine, but we didn't took chance. We looking for 11psi and 260-270whp for this summer. I'mon a Supra forum called supraquebec.com. I do know some people that busted the head gasket, but those engine where fairly modified. Once you've done the MHG and bolt your good for at leats 400whp with everything else engine wise stock.
Old 12-01-08, 01:33 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome - Looks like you have quite a project there
Old 12-03-08, 09:29 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and best of luck on your project!