LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front brakes on 1993 LS squeaking!

Old 09-18-08, 08:08 AM
Daniel N
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front brakes on 1993 LS squeaking!

Hi guys,

The front brakes on my LS is squeaking. I'm completly lost! Up until now I have changed the front pads including all shims. At the same time I got my rotors "machined" (don't know the exact word for it in english) so they were fresh and like new. After this I thought that it would have solved the problem.. But no
I have also tried with some noise reducing paste... No difference.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for any help

Daniel
Old 09-18-08, 09:21 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

first of all: what type of brakes were used? ceramic? organic?metallic?
next question: were the rotors washed with hot soapy water after they were machined? also were the slide points lubed?
Old 09-18-08, 10:43 AM
Daniel N
Rookie

Originally Posted by python
first of all: what type of brakes were used? ceramic? organic?metallic?
next question: were the rotors washed with hot soapy water after they were machined? also were the slide points lubed?

The brakes are original brake parts from lexus dealer. Slide points is lubed. The rotors was not washed with hot soapy water after they were "machined" The squeaking were also there before I changed the brake parts and got the rotors "machined". So it can't be that the rotors hasn't been washed with hot soapy water...
Old 09-18-08, 11:09 AM
python
Lexus Champion

oh really? hmmm u dont think that washing the rotors after they are turned has any effect on them? im here to tell u it does, metal gets imbedded into the pads from the rotors if they are not washed....as a result squeeking can and will occur, im not saying that this will occur everytime but it can happen, washing them off prevents it from happening...i am also not saying for sure that this is ur problem, im letting u know what can happen...anyways good luck
Old 09-18-08, 12:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the OEM hardware installed properly - the OEM pads have 4 shims, 4 support ledges and 2 anti-rattle springs per side. I'd double check those and relube the brakes - I like Molykote M77 grease which can be had from a Honda dealer or an industrial supply shop like Grainger.
Old 09-18-08, 01:33 PM
Daniel N
Rookie

Originally Posted by nthach
Is the OEM hardware installed properly - the OEM pads have 4 shims, 4 support ledges and 2 anti-rattle springs per side. I'd double check those and relube the brakes - I like Molykote M77 grease which can be had from a Honda dealer or an industrial supply shop like Grainger.
Exactly.. These are mounted! 4 shims, 4 support ledges and 2 antirattle springs which goes into the pads. And again the squeaking noise was also there before I changed all this and got the rotors turned...!
Old 09-18-08, 02:05 PM
python
Lexus Champion

could be 2 different reasons for the squeek therefore u had it b4 and now after! there are many reasons that can cause this, not just one
Old 09-19-08, 05:19 AM
Daniel N
Rookie

Originally Posted by python
could be 2 different reasons for the squeek therefore u had it b4 and now after! there are many reasons that can cause this, not just one
That's why I'm asking.. Maybe somebody have had the same problem
Old 09-19-08, 07:15 AM
python
Lexus Champion

i guess i will just come right out and say it because u arent getting it....whoever did ur brakes did a lousy job...it could be u needed to replace all the caliper hardware, take the rotors off and scuff em with sand paper as well as scuffing the pads,then wash the rotors off with hot water, go to the parts store and get new clips,springs or whatever u can to put new hardware on, also if u have metallic pads they tend to make more noise compared to organic(which wear quicker),or ceramic..either way u look at it noone can diagnose ur brakes online, all they can do is give u suggestions, i would also take a turkey baster,suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir, and replace it with new fluid, in a week or so do it again...also when replacing brakes on an ABS system u want to clamp the hoses,and loosen up the bleeder valve as u r compressing the calipers back in so the fluid doesnt travel back through the ABS unit...was that done? i doubt it....i have been a mechanic,service writer,and now work for NAPA auto parts, we sell to many auto shops, so i have had many years of automotive experience,plus guys who work with me have it as well....we hear it all everyday, 2 months ago we had our brake rep come in and give a little class on the do's and dont's of the brake industry, im not just some guy getting online spitting out crap here
Old 09-19-08, 07:49 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

crap spitter!!! lol jk good advice there!
Old 09-19-08, 08:44 AM
python
Lexus Champion

thank you
Old 09-19-08, 08:49 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bRake squeal

I have this problem as well, i have only recently overhauled my front brakes as i had them off to rebuild the suspension, i too replaced all the shims [4 per side] and had the caliper carrier off and compleatly cleaned all the years of crap off the metal work. I did not however replace the anti rattle clips or the pads as they were almost new. The squeal is still there but much better than before. I am guessing that i will have to replace the anti rattle clips and if that fails then it will be new pads. One question though, what colour are the metal plates on the pads of gen lexus parts as the one on the car are painted brown, it may be that the pads are cheap after market pads and thus the cause.
Old 09-19-08, 09:06 AM
python
Lexus Champion

what pads did u put on, elaborate please....
Old 09-19-08, 10:52 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi python, the pads that are on the car are what were on the car when i bought it 4 months ago so do not know the origin of the pads. all i know is that they are painted brown.
Old 09-19-08, 11:59 AM
python
Lexus Champion

lol....oh u have the brown ones huh? brown means crappy, yellow is pissy, and ugly green is puke pads...lol im just kidding around with u....sorry i cant be of more help, i suggest getting a brake inspection done at a reputible shop... hope my previous post gave u some sort of an idea and lets u make an educated decision...good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brakes on 1993 LS squeaking!