LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help!! Air Suspension on '95 LS400??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 08:53 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Air Suspension on '95 LS400??

Ok guys... I'm new to all this, so bare with me...

I picked up a '95 LS400 and JUST realized it had air suspension. The car didn't come w/ a manual so I turn to you for help. How the hell do you get it to engage?? I found the height switch, but when I move it to high or normal, nothing happens. I've operated it both w/ the car off and on, and nothing. Am I supposed to hear a motor or hear anything when it's being operated? I've waited patiently for the the car to raise or low, and nothing.

The reason why I ask is I just put my 19" wheels on, and the gap difference between the front and back or way off. I can get 2 fingers in the gap of the rears, and almost a full 5 fingers in the fronts. This concerns me because I bought the Tanabe Lowering Springs for it (f)1.8 (r)1.5 drop, and don't know if I can use 'em now. Do you know if these springs will still work w/ the air ride??

Any help is GREATLY appreciated as always...
Old 09-17-08, 10:10 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

First off, do you have a tank?
Second, does it have air and is there a compressor?
How many switches are there?

The bag replaces your springs. From springs/shocks to bags/shocks. Hoses run from tank to switches to suspension. If the tank is empty, you have to fill it.
Old 09-17-08, 11:32 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
First off, do you have a tank?
Second, does it have air and is there a compressor?
How many switches are there?

The bag replaces your springs. From springs/shocks to bags/shocks. Hoses run from tank to switches to suspension. If the tank is empty, you have to fill it.
ok you are talking out of your *** here. he has factory air. secondly, all of those components listed are NEEDED for (aftermarket) air suspension. why the hell would you have a tank and not have an air compressor? if tank empty, you fill it? wth, that is nonsense. that's what compressors are for. hoses do not run from tank to switches to suspension - hoses run from tank to manifold to bags. manifold wires to switchbox. compressor and air pressure sensor wires to a relay

but to stay on topic B-b0y,
you need an air ride controller to make it lower. since you are new, take a look at your suspension and take a look at your springs. they dont match = springs dont apply. they literally dont fit. factory air suspension is a different kind of suspension that does not follow a normal mcpherson setup. do some more searching about an air ride controller and you should be fine

Last edited by chubby; 09-17-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 01:35 AM
B-b0y
Driver

Originally Posted by chubby
but to stay on topic B-b0y,
you need an air ride controller to make it lower. since you are new, take a look at your suspension and take a look at your springs. they dont match = springs dont apply. they literally dont fit. factory air suspension is a different kind of suspension that does not follow a normal mcpherson setup. do some more searching about an air ride controller and you should be fine
ok... did some SERIOUS research and looks like I'm gonna have to buy the A/S Controller. But wtf... there's only the 'ASE 680 Datasystem Air Ride Controller' out there that I can use for the 95? Wow... this is gonna be tough to find. Do you guys know if ANYONE makes a universal controller? I couldn't find one anywhere. Anyways, since I couldn't use my springs, they are now in the for sale thread if anyone is interested. Thanks once again...

Last edited by B-b0y; 09-18-08 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 07:54 AM
B-b0y
Driver

So technically... if I just wanted to lower my car ONE TIME w/ the air suspension to one specific height and leave it... couldn't I just borrow the air ride controller from someone, plug it into my car, adjust the height to where I want it, save it there, unplug it, and give it back??? I don't see the need to spend $800 on a controller when I'm only gonna use it one time. It's not like they're hydros w/ pumps that I'm gonna use for bouncing right, front, & back, side to side.
Old 09-18-08, 08:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by B-b0y
So technically... if I just wanted to lower my car ONE TIME w/ the air suspension to one specific height and leave it... couldn't I just borrow the air ride controller from someone, plug it into my car, adjust the height to where I want it, save it there, unplug it, and give it back??? I don't see the need to spend $800 on a controller when I'm only gonna use it one time. It's not like they're hydros w/ pumps that I'm gonna use for bouncing right, front, & back, side to side.
no, if you unplug it the car will go back to factory settings.

and if you ride around low all the time on the factory air susp the bags will blow relatively fast.
Old 09-18-08, 02:26 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
no, if you unplug it the car will go back to factory settings.

and if you ride around low all the time on the factory air susp the bags will blow relatively fast.
DAMMIT!! Looks like I have no choice but to buy it now. So am I right then about there only being ONE controller out there?? ...The 'ASE 680 Datasystem Air Ride Controller' right??
Old 09-18-08, 10:54 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

it doesnt hurt to try
Old 09-18-08, 11:10 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Originally Posted by chubby
it doesnt hurt to try
True. Now all I gotta do is find someone in the area that has one that I can borrow. I'm thinkin' it MAY work if I disconnect my stock oem height switch once I get it to the height I want, before I disconnect the air ride controller. Hmmmmm...
Old 02-23-09, 01:51 PM
KevinE.
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B-b0y
How the hell do you get it to engage?? I found the height switch, but when I move it to high or normal, nothing happens. I've operated it both w/ the car off and on, and nothing. Am I supposed to hear a motor or hear anything when it's being operated? I've waited patiently for the the car to raise or low, and nothing.
I have the same problem. This is weird but I have 2 normal struts in the front end and air ride in the rear end. Only temporary until I have enough money to replace all 4 with normal struts. So the problem is that my rear end sits a lot higher than the front, I switched the ride height to normal from the switches near the Center Console, but nothing happened. How do I lower the air ride to sit lower? I dont expect it to look perfect since I only have 2, I just want it to sit more evenly.
Old 02-23-09, 03:08 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

1. YOU CANT ADJUST THE HEIGHT WITHOUT AN AIR RIDE CONTROLLER

2. YOU CANT DISCONNECT THE AIR SYSTEM IF YOU HAVE STOCK AIR RIDE OR THEY WILL DEFLATE

3. IF YOU RUN THE STOCK AIR SUSPENSION LOW FOR A LONG WHILE, THEY WILLL BLOW OUT

this is all mentioned above... read closely guys.