LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94' LS400 - Soft Shocks/Struts - Need that soft Lexus Ride Back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 05:32 PM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94' LS400 - Soft Shocks/Struts? - Help, I Need that soft Lexus Ride Back

94 LS400 with 285,000 miles and replaced all 4 struts with KYB 2 shocks about 2 years ago. Very stiff ride then and very stiff now...or worn out shocks. New Energy XV tires about a year ago.

Ive lost that super soft trademark Lexus ride Can anyone help or suggest soft shock/strut to restore ride. Could it be something other than strut that is causing it to be such a hard ride, even going over regular bumps in the road or manhole covers, it even sounds kind of rattley.

Thanks for any suggestions. If replacing struts, what else should I absolutely think about replacing to restore soft ride, without costing an arm and a leg?

Last edited by tyncobb; 09-14-08 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Title Incorrect
Old 09-12-08, 05:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

look at the bushings buddy......
Old 09-12-08, 08:59 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the bushings. Also might want to consider the shocks from the dealer as the OEM KYB's are spec'ed a little differently from the aftermarket KYB's. The aftermarkets come really close, but not exact. 14 y/o car with 285K is VERY LIKELY to be in need of new bushings. Just one of those wear and tear items.
Old 09-14-08, 11:28 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
look at the bushings buddy......
Pure,

Thanks for the advice. Are the front bushings called the Strut Bar "Cushions"? Also, are the rear bushings called the "Carrier Bushings"?
Old 09-14-08, 11:37 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
+1 on the bushings. Also might want to consider the shocks from the dealer as the OEM KYB's are spec'ed a little differently from the aftermarket KYB's. The aftermarkets come really close, but not exact. 14 y/o car with 285K is VERY LIKELY to be in need of new bushings. Just one of those wear and tear items.
Thanks Trkn1,

Same question as for Pure, are the front bushings called the Strut Bar "Cushinons" and are rear bushings called the "Carrier Bushings"?
Old 09-14-08, 01:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yep, and no, Lexus does NOT sell just the bushings.
Old 09-15-08, 07:32 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Pure,

Thanks alot for your responses. Want to be sure I purchase the right parts. I buy alot online from Park Place Lexus, Plano, Tx who sells most individual Lexus parts and at a considerable discount to most Lexus dealers. Could you look at these two links (1st one is front Suspension parts for 94 ls400 and shows part number 7 as the bushing for the strut bar I think, without having to buy the strut rod. or is it number 4 which looks like the control arm bushing, but is sold with control arm) Found location on website for 1994 LS400, Front Suspension, then clicked on Suspension Components blue link, then clicked on blue link number 7 for Bushings and did the same for Rear Suspension.
http://www.parkplaceplano.com/http:/...08&catalogid=0

Then the second link is for the rear suspension and the "Bushing" shows part number 12. Is that the bushing your talking about?

Thanks for looking and sorry Im such a neophyte at this. Appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Last edited by tyncobb; 09-15-08 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 07:49 AM
HKSC430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just a suggestion

keep your KYBs at the back...

put OEMs back in the front...

adjust your tire pressures to your liking, e.g. higher in the front

best of both worlds: handling and comfort
Old 09-15-08, 03:59 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

um,, have to disagree with you on this one here. Contrary to popular belief, they WILL sell you just the bushing (carrier bushing) if you ask. Just depends on which bushing you are looking to get. I recently bought my carrier arm bushing (OEM) from a local Lexus dealer, although they did everything they could to try to talk me out of it and into a whole new part. In the end, I got just the carrier arm bushing as I had ordered..

Rear end has a few bushing associated with it,, control arms (uper and lower) carrier arm. The common one in the rear which should be replaced is the carrier arm bushing

Front end,,, strut rod cushion is another on of those parts which should be replaced, although I don't know if you can just get the bushing for that part; I think you can. Front has the same as the rears,, control arms (upper and lower), sway bar, etc. Daizen makes a polyurethane bushing for us which is a very good value. Only setback is that when installed, if not greased properly, they will squeak, and will have to be pressed out and re-greased and re-installed.

BTW,, your links listed above do not work and all they do is re-direct to the homepage.

Last edited by trukn1; 09-15-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 05:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by tyncobb
Pure,

Thanks alot for your responses. Want to be sure I purchase the right parts. I buy alot online from Park Place Lexus, Plano, Tx who sells most individual Lexus parts and at a considerable discount to most Lexus dealers. Could you look at these two links (1st one is front Suspension parts for 94 ls400 and shows part number 7 as the bushing for the strut bar I think, without having to buy the strut rod. or is it number 4 which looks like the control arm bushing, but is sold with control arm) Found location on website for 1994 LS400, Front Suspension, then clicked on Suspension Components blue link, then clicked on blue link number 7 for Bushings and did the same for Rear Suspension.

Then the second link is for the rear suspension and the "Bushing" shows part number 12. Is that the bushing your talking about?

Thanks for looking and sorry Im such a neophyte at this. Appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
if it is anything like carson's trademotion site, then the no.7 you are referring to (which retails for <$20) is NOT the strut bar bushing, it is the SWAY BAR bushing.
Old 09-15-08, 05:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by trukn1
um,, have to disagree with you on this one here. Contrary to popular belief, they WILL sell you just the bushing (carrier bushing) if you ask. Just depends on which bushing you are looking to get. I recently bought my carrier arm bushing (OEM) from a local Lexus dealer, although they did everything they could to try to talk me out of it and into a whole new part. In the end, I got just the carrier arm bushing as I had ordered..

Rear end has a few bushing associated with it,, control arms (uper and lower) carrier arm. The common one in the rear which should be replaced is the carrier arm bushing

Front end,,, strut rod cushion is another on of those parts which should be replaced, although I don't know if you can just get the bushing for that part; I think you can. Front has the same as the rears,, control arms (upper and lower), sway bar, etc. Daizen makes a polyurethane bushing for us which is a very good value. Only setback is that when installed, if not greased properly, they will squeak, and will have to be pressed out and re-greased and re-installed.

BTW,, your links listed above do not work and all they do is re-direct to the homepage.
sorry, should have been more specific, lexus will not sell you the STRUT ROD bushings
Old 09-17-08, 02:52 PM
tyncobb
Driver

sorry, should have been more specific, lexus will not sell you the STRUT ROD bushings
Thanks for the info concerning the link not working. I have copied and they both now work and if you could take a look and tell me what parts the strut rod bushings and carrier bushing actually are, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS TO ALL AND SORRY FOR THE DUMB QUESTIONS.

Front Suspension:
1) FRONT WHEEL BEARING 2) Right 3) UPPER CONTROL ARM
4) Right 5) LOWER BALL JOINT 6) LS400
7) BUSHINGS 8) LS400 9) LINK
10) STRUT ROD 11) LS400 12) STRUT
13) Right 14) STRUT MOUNT 15) COIL SPRING

http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...al/E880080.gif

Rear Suspension:

1) GS300 2) Right 3) UPPER CONTROL ARM
4) To 9/91 5) GS300 6) STRUT BUMPER
7) STRUT MOUNT 8) FRONT ARM 9) STRUT ROD
10) REAR ARM 11) w/o Height Control 12) BUSHINGS
13) GS300 14) LINK

http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...al/E880110.gif

Thanks again to all that have helped.
Old 12-29-10, 09:18 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HKSC430
keep your KYBs at the back...

put OEMs back in the front...

adjust your tire pressures to your liking, e.g. higher in the front

best of both worlds: handling and comfort
Has anybody else tried this? I am thinking of doing this and would like opinions from anybody else who tried it

Thanks
Old 12-30-10, 05:24 PM
HKSC430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now riding on:

Bilsteins in front...

(seems to last longer than OEMs)

KYBs at the back...

(higher tyre pressures in front)
Old 12-30-10, 10:10 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HKSC430
now riding on:

Bilsteins in front...

(seems to last longer than OEMs)

KYBs at the back...

(higher tyre pressures in front)
How is the ride compared to oem?

Quick Reply: 94' LS400 - Soft Shocks/Struts - Need that soft Lexus Ride Back?