LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 12:45 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for the DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive been iching to do this but worthless without pics. Thanks man cant wait to try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-09, 03:18 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I shall be changing it too as mine is at 200k . will post results

I shall be changing it too as mine is at 200k . will post results
Old 10-13-09, 10:11 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Just did it today took me about 2 hours, but i did clean and shine all the plastic pieces i took off, ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! I cannot believe the difference Crisper throttle response, Pulls like a train and i didnt do and oficall 0-60 but its sub 6 seconds on a fairly warmed up motor (5 min). one of the best mod/power restorers ive ever done. and FYI i bought a 19mm deep socket. that is the correct size. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Thank you again for the great pics.
Old 01-02-10, 11:50 AM
toxictv
Rookie

I just did this to my car - first gen LS. Mine spewed about 16-24 oz of fluid..blech. Glad it was in the Lowe's parking lot..hah!

I've yet to reset my ECU, but the car does start up quicker and sounds better, and acceleration seems a touch better.
Old 01-03-10, 08:09 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to do this. Anyone knows the part number for the 98 LS 400 so I can go get one at Toyota? Feel kinda bad if I just walk into Lexus, ask for the part number and walk out. Thanks.
Old 01-03-10, 08:14 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to do this. Anyone knows the part number for the 98 LS 400 so I can go get one at Toyota? Feel kinda bad if I just walk into Lexus, ask for the part number and walk out. Hopefully this will fix my temperature needle in the gauge cluster too. It's been staying beyond the lowest mark and the second line. Never went pass that second line mark even if the car has been running for hours. Would have gone out and get AutoZone's but figure I want to stay with OEM to be on the safe side. Thanks for any info. And thanks GRAYLS400 for putting up the pdf files of the manual.
Old 01-03-10, 08:53 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My1998LS40
Would love to do this. Anyone knows the part number for the 98 LS 400 so I can go get one at Toyota? Feel kinda bad if I just walk into Lexus, ask for the part number and walk out. Hopefully this will fix my temperature needle in the gauge cluster too. It's been staying beyond the lowest mark and the second line. Never went pass that second line mark even if the car has been running for hours. Would have gone out and get AutoZone's but figure I want to stay with OEM to be on the safe side. Thanks for any info. And thanks GRAYLS400 for putting up the pdf files of the manual.
Had that problem in the '95, a new thermostat fixed it.
Old 03-13-10, 02:24 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

Holy crap! I got out and did this today (along with the tilt column fix) and wow is all I can say, the car Idles better its got better throttle response it will even turn the tires over again... now I just need to strait pipe my cats and i will be good to go!

side note my sensor was a Duralast for 15 bux at autozone!

Last edited by Legionofon; 03-13-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 01:21 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

haha, sorry you had issues, gotta love OBDI cars none of those code issues! When i pulled my sensor it was broken and just holding it in my hand fell apart. I could now see inside it and wow it was filled with nasty corrosion so im very happy I replaced mine!
Old 07-14-10, 06:32 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I went digging for the Coolant Temp Sensor again in my 92. Fun stuff.

Once I got it out, I noticed that a fine coat of rust developed around the sensor. I cleaned it off and followed the specifications to test its resistance as listed in the earlier post. It was a bit lower than the average, but I noticed that the resistance change voltage was also reading very slowly. At $15 for the Autozone replacement, I just opted to go ahead and replace it. I agree with the other threads OP's comments that this is something to add to the regular maintenance schedule.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...read-this.html

Car is running fine, I'll run some more mpg numbers and see what I come up with.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...pics-sf-80.pdf

Last edited by avalon42; 07-14-10 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 07:37 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GrayLS400
I have a 1998 LS400. I identified the location of the sensor on the passenger side below the accelerator cable between the throttle body and the rectangular box connected to the intake air connector. Has anyone been able to replace the sensor without removing the intake air connector? By the way, the service manual says to torque the sensor to 20 N-m (14 ft-lb) [2000 manual, SF-78 to 80, 1394-6]. Thanks.
Grey, thanks a ton for this post! I am thinking of doing this on my 2000 model and wanted the diagram and the torque specs. Also, this is a stupid question, but can someone verify where the thermostat is? I feel like i'm pretty sure, but i would like to verify before i knock the sensor and the thermostat out in one wrench session.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-10, 04:26 PM
yotoy82
Driver School Candidate

My coolant temp sensor on my 1996 LS400 which is in otherwise mint looking condition considering its age and 200k miles, looked perfect on the outside, took it out, apparently its been cracked and corroded for a long time!
Old 01-01-11, 10:06 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Hey everybody, I replaced my ECT sensor today, I'll fill you in

I bought to duralast part, there seems to be mixed reviews on the use of non-OEM parts, but I decided, "hey, 20 bucks with a lifetime warranty? sold me."

it was pretty quick and easy, this is what I used, for those that are considering doing this...

- a 3/8" ratchet
- two extensions, one short, one long
- a 10mm socket
- a 10mm deep socket, for when I needed the short extension, plus some more
- a 19mm deep socket, for the ECT sensor itself
- I salvaged the washer off of the old ECT sensor (there's no gasket, unlike the .pdf files someone posted calls for)

follow the pictures posted for what you need to remove, the .pdf files have you remove some stuff unnecessarily.

Good luck all! I'll report back next time I fill up and see what kind of gas mileage I'm getting. It may just be me, but on the way home from my shop it already felt like a new car, I remembered my 3rd gear passings being rather sluggish, so I was playing with those on the highway and once again, it may just be me, but it felt like a whole new car!

I was getting <300 mpg per tank, majority highway driving. <250 majority city. So...here's hoping!
Old 01-02-11, 12:29 AM
phxls400
Driver School Candidate

Default Autozone part number for cross-reference

Found against another post:

Duralast (Autozone) part number: SU4007
Price: $29.99

If you want to use Toyota:
OEM part number: 8942220010
MSRP: $63.13
Online: ~$42 - $52
Old 01-03-11, 08:12 AM
ylekiot1
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced mine over the weekend, car has 300k - my findings

First of all, let me say that this car before I bought it was taken care of better than any car I know. So I was skeptical to change this. Most post read that if you keep the car serviced with coolant changes when required then most of these sensors do not have a corrosion problem as they age and still send the accurate temporature within the acceptable ranges per the repair manual. Anyway, I changed mine and found that when the car is cold it does not idle over 2k in park but now under 1300 rpm. Not only that but the response is better throughout the range. I am also noticing that my mpg that fell recently to 15mpg is now back in the 20s as it should be. I found my mpg culprit! Thank you all for the information! The job took me about 50 min.

Quick Reply: DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)