LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hey guys, and girls, I have a weird instrument cluster question for ya

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 07:17 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys, and girls, I have a weird instrument cluster question for ya

Ok, here is goes. My instrument cluster had the typical issues: temp gauge "stuck" in the middle position (no matter if the car was on or off) and needle burnt out, tach was slow, needle burnt, and fuel gauge burnt and inoperable (the gas light would come on above the 1/4 mark) . I sent it away to BBA-Remanufacturing to have it repaired...they said the actual temp gauge "pod" (for the lack of a better way for it), along with the fuel "pop" had to be replaced. They did that, and fixed the tach, and all needles. Lifetime warranty. So thats good!

Here's my current issues. I am concerned, not for any good reason though, about my engine temp. Maybe I am paranoid, but I check the temp ALL the time. The temp guage does move now, all the way up to where is it was previously stuck (and goes to '0" when car is cold/off). The fuel gauge is BETTER, but still comes on far too early. Should I assume that the temp guage is still inaccurate, is there a way I can drive the car for awhile, and get a physical temp reading?

Do out UZFEs have a tendency to run hot? Not in a bad way, but by nature? Corvettes have a 5.7L that runs very hot, but totally normal. Whenever Im sitting at a red light with windows down, a/c off, arm out the window, I get these really hot "waves" of air that come up. Once again, I might be paranoid, but while driving YOU LS's, does your temp flucuate, or does it stay pretty much at the exact some spot the whole time driving (I rarely punch the gas or really get on it, so maybe thats why my reading shows to be super consistent?

Sorry this is SO drawn out, but if you did read the whole thing, I applaud you and thanks! Any input would be great!

-Ian
Old 08-25-08, 07:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

go and check if there's an air bubble in your cooling system.
Old 08-25-08, 07:26 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
go and check if there's an air bubble in your cooling system.
Thanks for the super quick response, PD..

To clarify, so I do the right thing... would what you said to do be the same as "burping" the cooling system? i.e. taking off the cap and running it until possible air bubbles come to the surface?
Old 08-25-08, 07:56 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My temp gauge needle never budges once car reaches operating temp.
Old 08-25-08, 08:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yep pretty much.
helps to jack the front end of the car up so the cap on the reservoir is the highest point
Old 08-25-08, 08:45 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yep pretty much.
helps to jack the front end of the car up so the cap on the reservoir is the highest point
gotcha!! Ill do that first thing tomorrow morning.... one more quick question, about how long will it need to run for? 15 minutes?
Old 08-25-08, 11:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

10-15 should be fine.
Old 08-26-08, 06:32 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Once my car warms up to operating temperture, it pretty much stays there and doesnt move. My needle, like yours, stays almost in the middle of the gauge. I too feel the waves of heat sometimes, but it has never been a problem. At cold gauge drops to the bottom, like it should, and then moves upward as the car warms up. I think your gauge is fine.
Old 08-26-08, 08:38 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trukn1
Once my car warms up to operating temperture, it pretty much stays there and doesnt move. My needle, like yours, stays almost in the middle of the gauge. I too feel the waves of heat sometimes, but it has never been a problem. At cold gauge drops to the bottom, like it should, and then moves upward as the car warms up. I think your gauge is fine.
Mine does this as well.

I personally think you're in the safe zone.

I wouldn't worry too much.