LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

More bumper fun-not

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 11:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Red face More bumper fun-not

(Firstly, we didn't get hit again.)

Well, a couple months back, we got rolled into while at a stop light. Got fixed and I thought all was ok. Monday I was waxing the car, I got a good look at the rear bumper. Body shop did a great job but I noticed that the initial impact damage was not limited to just the lower portion, it had spider webbed the top paint too. It wasn't obvious except in the shade and the white paint helped hide the spider web cracks.

I was a bit concerned since it has been about a month since we signed off. I dunno how AAA would look at it. I called AeroTect about the clear bra that is on the rear bumper. Deborah relayed that the paint may peel when the clear bra is removed, not good. I then called the body shop...bring it in, we'll have a look. Then I called AAA, the adjuster said it's is getting tight but drop the car off and they'll inspect it. Today I dropped it off...the body shop guy said, yeah...it was easily missed but he did see it. I hope AAA covers this in our original claim.

So if any of you take a hit on the bumper...check it carefully.
Old 08-22-08, 09:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Just took a call from the independent appraisal company. The adjuster doesn't think the spider webbing is part of the prior bumper incident. The body shop owner even relayed it to him but this field adjuster doesn't want to acknowledge it.

At least when my front bumper was pierced, it was obvious. The spider webbing is up for interpretation. We'll see what the AAA guy says but I suspect this is not going to be an simple conclusion. So what good have all the premiums been if I don't get the coverage I need.
Old 11-03-08, 06:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Follow-up, the independent adjuster said it was in the paint already so they denied the claim. I protested and it was turned over to the AAA damage dept. The actual AAA adjuster assigned to the case re-inspected and agreed it was damaged. No problems getting taken care of. When the body shop removed the clear bra...no doubt that the spider webbed paint was caused by the initial hit. All taken care of.

Well, it doesn't end there. After a month some odd to let the paint cure, I was days from having the new clear bra installed. I had the car backed partway out on the driveway when pops came by. He nosed his car up awfully close but I wasn't paying too much attention because I hoped he had the sense not to inch it up that close. Har-har on my part cause he did and his license plate frame and screw hit the bumper. What happened...sure bet, it gouged the paint and imprinted "Orange County" across the dusty bumper. He didn't think it was that close...any closer, he'd have parked his car inside ours.

Anyway...it will be back to the body shop to get re-sprayed then another month to let the paint cure. I wonder if I should just have an ongoing appointment schedule to have the bumpers painted regularly.

I miss the all bare black bumpers of the old cars...had this happened on that, I wouldn't be bothered by a small gouge because it wouldn't show. On paint...
Old 11-04-08, 02:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

damn dude, you officially have the worst luck of anyone i know with fender benders
Old 11-04-08, 10:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

My bumpers seem to be It's tiring for sure.