LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New, looking at '91 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 06:27 PM
ajm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, looking at '91 LS400

I am pretty new to lexus, but am now looking to get one, probably an ls400. From what I have heard and read, they seem like good, reliable luxury cars.

I went to look at a '91 ls400 today:
--silver/black leather in good condition
--147k mi.
--Timing belt was changed recently
--Aftermarket wheels - not too crazy about them, but the tires are good

Issues:
---tachometer seems to be wrong - it sits around zero at idle, and under acceleration barely hits 2k. I know there are some issues with the instrument cluster, so is this a sign of trouble, or not a big deal?

---valvetrain/lifter noise - basically same question as above- anything to worry about?

---It only has one key - does anyone happen to know off hand how much a key would cost?

Anyway, I really liked the car - it was really comfortable and seemed to run well for its age and mileage. The interior, and even the engine were almost spotless.

They are asking $3500 for it. is this a decent price, and is there anythign that i should look for?

Thank you in advance for you help.
Old 08-12-08, 07:04 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

3500 seems A LITTLE high to me... you should try for 2800-3000.

About the issues: I had the same tach issue, along with my fuel and gauges not working. Totally fixed with a lifetime warranty by BBA-Manufacturing for 175$. not bad at all.. my cluster is as good as new...

I too have the "ticking/clicking".. in my case, its the injectors. They tend to be a bit noisy.

As far as the key.. I would guess a few hundred or so..When i duplicated my GS400 key is was about 200. Maybe LSs are the same?

Ls400s are very very reliable, for the most part. If you know what problem areas to look for, and the car looks good... it will most likely never leave you stranded for a LONG time with regular maintance (t-belt, WP, injectors, plugs, oil changes, etc...)
Old 08-12-08, 08:02 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to find all service records..PS pump & rack issues common to the 1st generation...VIN # can be used to find history at Lexus dealerships (if any)
Old 08-13-08, 05:22 AM
ajm
Driver School Candidate

I listened for anything wierd from the steering pump/ rack, and didnt hear anything, so hopefully this is a good sign.

$175 isnt too bad for the instrument cluster. I can live without a tach, but the speedo is pretty important.

$200 for a key?! I know they are laser cut, but wow - I was thinking like 60-80.

I might try to get the vin so i can get any service history. hopefully the list is long.

If I could get the car for $3k, that would be great. I think The seller might want to keep it in the 32-3300 range, but I definetly think this car is a worth a second look - I would like to look at a couple others to have something to compare to, but the pickings are fairly slim in my price range (~4k).

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-13-08, 06:59 AM
thadword
Driver

see if you can take the car to a personal mechanic or bring one with you when you go to look for a second time.
Old 08-13-08, 07:13 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ajm
I listened for anything wierd from the steering pump/ rack, and didnt hear anything, so hopefully this is a good sign.

$175 isnt too bad for the instrument cluster. I can live without a tach, but the speedo is pretty important.

$200 for a key?! I know they are laser cut, but wow - I was thinking like 60-80.

I might try to get the vin so i can get any service history. hopefully the list is long.

If I could get the car for $3k, that would be great. I think The seller might want to keep it in the 32-3300 range, but I definetly think this car is a worth a second look - I would like to look at a couple others to have something to compare to, but the pickings are fairly slim in my price range (~4k).

Thanks for your input.
I would check ebay for key. Right now there might not be a transponder key for 1991 ls400 but there has in the past. Keep checking. Maybe cost you $25-$50 with self-programming guide. I know a guy who's wife bought one on ebay for her car and programmed it herself with instructions. Cheap and easy. Why pay a dealership $$$$ for key + $125 to activate it when you can do it yourself for 1/5 the price?
Old 08-13-08, 07:40 AM
ajm
Driver School Candidate

A mechanic would be a good idea, and probably worth the $50-100 or whatever, but I dont know any lexus mechanics in the area. I would like to find a trusted independent shop/mechanic rather than take the car to either joe schmoe or the dealership.

Self programming key? - thats pretty nice. All of the ones ive had before, you had to have it programmed by the dealer. how much would it cost to actually have the key cut? I would imagine this would have to be ordered and could not be done on site.
Old 08-13-08, 09:59 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id go for a 93-94 instead of that year

check lexls.com for the differences
Old 08-13-08, 06:29 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

You might try eBay for a key for your car; look for one that is not cut. Take the new key along with your existing key to a good quality lock, safe, and auto key company. Ask the company if they can cut Lexus keys (some do, some don't) as it requires a special machine to do it and not every company wants to make the investment in such.

I did exactly that with mine for an extra key, and it worked like clockwork; if I remember correctly I paid about $30 for the uncut key and about $10 to have it cut and programmed from the original key. The key to everything here is to have your original key, which you do (very bad pun)!
Old 08-13-08, 06:58 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

KEY issue:

I have a 91 currently.

I took my vin number and proof of ownership to my local lexus dealer for a new key since my master was sticking in the ignition, woulD open the glove box but not the trunk.

Lexus quoted me 68 bucks over the phone.

When I got there, the parts guy said he had one with logo on the key-head for $68 and without logo for 38. I took the non logo version, he cut it to my vin and it works great!!

RG
Old 08-14-08, 11:59 AM
jeffls400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I purchased a 1991 LS400 with 136K miles in June 2006 for my everyday commuter car (110 miles roundtrip). Currently, I am at 201K+, with the only repairs being the Cooling Fan bracket and the Power steering pressure hose. Maintenance has been relatively straightforward; the major item that I have done so far is a complete brake system overhaul (overhauled calipers, new pads, rotors, hardware).

Mine has the injector tick as well...not a reliability issue, just a minor annoyance. I paid a little more than $3,500 for reference.
Old 08-14-08, 12:05 PM
ajm
Driver School Candidate

So it sounds like the key wont be too bad. As I read more and more about these cars, I am really liking them. It is amazing how little maintenance a lot of them require, even after 150k+ mi - and how clean they are. A lot of Mercedes, etc will go the distance, but it will be far from cheap to maintain.

J stuff - I did look through the 93/94 differences on lexls. If everything else were equal, I would go with those over the earlier years. They seems to be a little harder to find in this price range however.

BTW - The water pump is almost always replaced when the timing belt is right? This seems to be pretty standard practice, on other cars as well.

Thank all of you for your input, and if I do end up getting an LS, you'll probably see me on here fairly regularly.
Old 08-19-08, 09:06 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the world of Lexus I also have a 91 lexus with 211,000 miles and so far the only thing I have repaired was the lower ball joints did it my self 120.00 I did have the valves ajusted by Lexus they were pretty noisy it cost
888.00 but that also included the throttle body cleaned out and it was a mess full of carbon this is a problem with the lexus in some cases. Over all the lexus in MY BOOK IS THE BEST BUILT CAR IN THE WORLD TODAY BARR NONE .