LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C Compressor help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 06:52 PM
jboldt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Compressor help please!

Well this is my first post so go easy on me fellas.

When driving my 94' LS400 I noticed that the A/C was no longer working and apon further observation noticed that none of the leds on the climate control unit were functioning. I tried to engage each of them one at a time but got nothing. I found that the 12A climate control fuse in the kick panel was in fact blown so I naturally replaced it. I turned the key to the acc position just to test it and the climate control unit functioned. However when I actually started the car the next day and started driving once again the fuse had blown.
I suspect that this may be due to the compressor being bad because ever since I got the car a few months ago there has always been a whine when I used the A/C. Apparently this whine is not uncommon from what I've read. The other thing that leads me in the bad compressor direction is the new noise coming from the front driver's side of the engine compartment. It's like a very slight metal on metal sound. Kind of like the sound of spent brake pads on soon to be spent rotors if you know what I mean.
So my question is how can I know if the problem is in fact the compressor and how difficult is it to replace. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial online. I should also mention that I am a pretty skilled DIY mechanic and I think I can handle the replacement no matter what the difficulty level. I just want to know what I'm in for. Thanks a bunch fellas!
Old 08-06-08, 10:12 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.lextreme.com/ac.html

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/air/

I would check the latter to see if there is a code stored in your AC system though...but the blown fuse is electrically related.
Old 08-07-08, 03:03 PM
jboldt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Avalon42. I checked the code and the only code was 21 which is normal with it being dark out. I was able to test the A/C using a 20A fuse but only warm burnt smelling air came out of the vents. I am really starting to think a compressor replacement is in order. What do you think? I of course want to be as sure as possible before buying such a costly item.
Old 08-21-08, 05:46 PM
jboldt
Driver School Candidate

Question New finding with my a/c issue

So I'm still blowin climate control fuses like its my job & I still think its a bad compressor.
I think the compressor clutch is bad cuz I watched the pressure plate slowly move in small 1/4" - 1/2" movements with engine @ idle and the climate control fuse being blown.
My thoughts are that with fuse blown there should be no signal from the climate control unit so the compressor should behave as though the a/c is not on and the pressure plate should be stationary.
Please let me know what you guys think. I have been searching the forums for more info but I never see anything about the fuse blowing. I know I saw a recommendation for cheap compressors but how bout a clutch rebuild kit?