LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie and ebay??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 08:39 PM
MusicKat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie and ebay??????

Hello All! - This is my first post so go easy please. This looks like a great forum and I look forward to learning lots. As the owner of a White 1997 LS400 and wanting to do a little upgrading, I would value your opinion on the quality of the goods available on ebay. Sort of in two parts: The first would be more cosmetic oriented such as the red and clear tail lights, the clear marker lights, chrome grill, etc. There seems to be a constant supply of this kind of thing and are they all pretty much created equal or are there some things to stay away from? The other part of my question is more serious in terms of performance. How is the quality of the mechanical parts such as timing belts kits, water pumps, etc. that are all over ebay? Is it better to stay with genuine Lexus parts for these kind of things? I sincerely appreciate your time and look forward to more interaction here at Club Lexus!! - Thanks - MusicKat
P.S. Any other sources for parts and or upgrade and enhancement items would be much appreciated!!
Old 08-05-08, 08:57 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicKat
The first would be more cosmetic oriented such as the red and clear tail lights, the clear marker lights, chrome grill, etc. There seems to be a constant supply of this kind of thing and are they all pretty much created equal or are there some things to stay away from? The other part of my question is more serious in terms of performance. How is the quality of the mechanical parts such as timing belts kits, water pumps, etc. that are all over ebay? Is it better to stay with genuine Lexus parts for these kind of things? I sincerely appreciate your time and look forward to more interaction here at Club Lexus!! - Thanks - MusicKat
P.S. Any other sources for parts and or upgrade and enhancement items would be much appreciated!!
I recently bought the same model LS as you and did lots of mods to it.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=368670

I bought 2 things from ebay (front bumper clear lens) and a side parking light (mine had a crack in it). Both came within 3 days, and quality was great, and had no problems with them.

There are 2 kinds of bumper lens, one that looks similar to the hazy clear of the OEM headlights, and matches well, this is the one I bought. Then there is the type of clear bumper lens that looks "crystal clear" and to me looks ricey as it doesn't match the rest of the front.

I ordered the rear tails and cancelled the order, after reading about all the sealing problems on here, and having seen them in person, they looked VERY low quality. I chose not to get them.

For timing belt/water pump/all pulleys/belts/hood struts/plugs/wires/rotors/caps I bought OEM from dealer, and it was 900$ shipped to my door.
Old 08-05-08, 10:11 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay away from:

-Lip trunk spoilers, they do not fit properly
-Fake racing computer chips...titles usually say "ADD 25HP, SAVE 20% FUEL ECONOMY"
-The "tornado" -claims to increase horsepower by creating a spiral in the air intake.
-OEM replica wheels
-Overpriced FAKE HID bulbs

Thats about all I can think of right now.
Old 08-06-08, 12:13 PM
MusicKat
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for your good replies. ryanSC300lover - would you mind passing on the dealer where you ordered your OEm parts from. Also, has any one had any experience with the side mirror caps that provide the blinkers in lights on the mirror. Again, all help and suggestions are always appreciated. - MusicKat
Old 08-06-08, 02:05 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214082

Best prices around..
Old 08-06-08, 04:35 PM
MusicKat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bradster! - I will check that out. On another note I did a search on the mirror caps and I can find quite a bit of info, but not specifically for a LS400.
Has anyone had experience with the caps on LS400?

Thanks