LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 05:36 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emblems

I was wondering why no one likes the gold emblems. I am thinking about getting chrome ones if no one has them. How do you take off the emblems that are on the car and the one that is on the stock grill.
Old 07-24-08, 06:49 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Gold reminds me of disgusting 80s style. I would only keep them, if I had gold teeth to match the emblems.

Within an hour of buying my car, came home, stripped the emblems, and painted them black chrome.

1) To take off front grille emblem:
-pop hood
-look on the undersie
-phillips screw driver, open 1 screw
-two tabs on the side of the badge
-pop it out gently

2) Rear emblems
-dental floss or fishing line
-put that behind the emblem, and gently apply pressure, should come off
-if you are able to use a heat gun, will be easier
-use goo gone to wipe of all the goo over the years
-apply new emblem

walah
you are done
Old 07-24-08, 07:49 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah me also. When I bought my LS gold was the rage but it quickly went by the wayside. I painted mine black and then ultimately removed them altogether
Old 07-24-08, 08:11 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

why is that nobody likes gold emblems and doesn't it look bad without any emblems
Old 07-24-08, 08:24 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zagman91
why is that nobody likes gold emblems and doesn't it look bad without any emblems
Not sure what answer you are looking for as to why no one likes gold. Put gold if you like it. Your car, your emblems.
Old 07-24-08, 09:46 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ryan quick question on the ls not sure if you know or not but does a 91 have any holes in the back from the L logo badge?
Old 07-24-08, 10:29 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes...from my car.

Old 07-24-08, 10:33 PM
convoy
Pole Position

i have the gold emblems if you'd like to trade. u must paint urs black first... then i'll gladly swap. i was just about to paint mine too.
Old 07-24-08, 11:08 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Personally I just find the gold emblems unattractive; though they do look marginally better on the black cars.

As for removal, when I took all my Lexus trunk badges off for replacement with Toyota/Celsior ones, I bought a can of emblem/adhesive remover from the Advance Auto Parts and applied that first, and then used a plastic paint scraper to remove them. The "LS 400" came off easy, the "L" required some work.

Funny story about the "Lexus" script removal:

I took my car to a local body shop to get an estimate on repainting the trunk to fill in the holes. When the owner suggested that he wanted to see how big the holes were, and since I was going to take them off anyway, I told him to go ahead and just remove the "Lexus" one. He comes out with a big bottle of 3M adhesive remover and a flat head screwdriver (professional, right?). He proceeds to pry it off, all the while bleeding on my car from where the screwdriver slipped and cut him, also taking a small chunk of paint out of the car. He would also swat at any bug that landed on my car and smash it on my paint. As I stood there, fists clenched and stomach knotted, he broke the "L" and "S" off after he stated "who gives a crap if we break them, right?" when I had every intention of keeping them. He applied copious amounts of cleaner wax to a rag and finished removing all the goo and charged me $5 for his "service." I NEVER returned.

It should also be noted that he told me that my car did NOT have pearl paint (it's Diamond White Pearl); that it was a flatter white. When I told him it was only because it was cloudy, he told me that there was "plenty of sun" and that he didn't see any pearl effect. When I returned the next day to (reluctantly) give him the $5, he admitted that my car was indeed pearl. He also told me that Lexus never offered a '97 LS400 in that color, and that it was probably "some custom paint color the guy before you ordered since Lexus does that."

Whatever.
Old 07-25-08, 08:16 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hobojoe
ryan quick question on the ls not sure if you know or not but does a 91 have any holes in the back from the L logo badge?
I do know, and yes buddy it does.
Old 07-25-08, 12:27 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zagman91
i think it looks cool with no emblems.....as for the gold emblems, they're just dated looking....very 90's.....my car looks so much better with chrome emblems and the tan pinstripe removed.
Old 07-27-08, 06:01 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

where would you get new emblems i can get new chrome emblems from sewell for 110 and that comes with everything even a thing to put chrome on the antena part which is gold right now. If you know of any place cheaper that has real emblems not like plastic or anything like to hear thanks.
Old 07-27-08, 07:05 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

You can find pretty much all the "real" emblems on eBay.

Try this:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/ls400_...saobfmtsZinsif

I need to re-order all the silver trunk badges myself in case for some unknow reason I decide to sell it and the next owner doesn't want the Toyota Celsior ones.
Old 07-27-08, 08:05 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked gold emblems in the 90's , it was a fad , a way of attaining a modest upgrade.
Just like black and chrome rims they will no longer be the fashionable thing and start to pile up in a closet with your girlfriends Ugg's boots.

Personally i dislike the black and chrome 3 rims in one style but it is the "thing" right now.
Old 07-27-08, 08:46 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
You can find pretty much all the "real" emblems on eBay.

Try this:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/ls400_...saobfmtsZinsif

I need to re-order all the silver trunk badges myself in case for some unknow reason I decide to sell it and the next owner doesn't want the Toyota Celsior ones.

I will take all your celsior stuff

Quick Reply: Emblems